Confused:Stick with current Processor or Migrate to Advanced i7?

Sahil_kr

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2010
Hi Everyone,My Configuration:
MOBO-Intel Dg31Pr
CPU-INtel core 2 duo e7200@2.53Ghz
RAM-2GB DDR2@800MHZ
NO GPU
I want to play all the Latest games that are available(Star Wars,Dirt 2,Sims,GTA,Street Fighter)since i am an Engineering Student i need my PC,24*7
Likewise i am running Music,i open Mozilla Firefox,Open Microsoft Office,Utorrent is running always,i listen Video Songs too.
However Video Editing/Graphic Designing is not my Primary Aim.
So please guys suggest me Pc Upgradation,what i need to Upgrade?

Plumble

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2010
Win 7 Does not need virtualisation capable CPU to run (unless you want XP mode).
Your current setup should run it reasonably.

Intel say that the board can take the LGA 775 quads

But as it only has a 4-pin CPU power, higher-end LGA775 quad core would struggle.
(Mine does and throttles speed areound 50C)

The PSU would also need to be replaced and as rolli59 put it, you would want a discrete GPU.

Sahil_kr

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2010
I have this System for Around 2 Years,so i think so that it could not be sold at this Much($300)
And that Budget,($700) is too much high for me,(600$) is the Maximum i can Afford.

Yes you can. Here's worse computers for a higher price:
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Compaq+-+Presario+Desktop+/+AMD+Sempron%26%23153;+Processor+/+2GB+Memory+/+500GB+Hard+Drive/9963938.p?id=1218202472178&skuId=9963938
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/eMachines+-+Desktop+/+Intel%26%23174;+Celeron%26%23174;+Processor+/+2GB+Memory+/+500GB+Hard+Drive/9974267.p?id=1218204533255&skuId=9974267
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16883108390

I said $700 is a good build price because $400 that you can't spend any more than plus $300 of the system you have adds to $700.

One thing you mention if that your CPU does not support virtualization. This is true but you failed to mention that you do anything that would use it. So I will assume that you just forgot to mention some kind of virtual stuff you do.

Anyway, if you are set on keeping your current setup, here are my recommendations for upgrade:
CPU:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115057
-Highest 775 quad core with the price. Also it supports Intel-VT-x
-Quad core for ability to play greater variety of games (dragon age, BFBC2, FSX).
Alternative:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116347
-high clocked dual core for great performance in most games.
-supports intel VT-x
Notes: If you are doing a lot of virtualization, depending on your situation, the quad will be more worthwhile.

Ram upgrade:
[strike]http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820146693
-4GB extra of memory to 6GB for better virtualization[/strike]
^correction: motherboard listed only officially supports up to 4GB total system memory:
http://downloadmirror.intel.com/15064/eng/DG31PR_ProductGuide01_English.pdf
Alternative:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226086
-2GB extra memory to 4GB total for "sweet spot" gaming

Video card upgrade:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161338
-fits remaining cost to $400
-good card that can play all games. Will have to lower settings on newer games at times.
-Nvidia alternative: GTX260

If you opted for the lower end parts you could have enough to spend on this card:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161349
-excellent performance in all games.
-some games lowered settings
Nvidia alternative: GTX470

Other good options performing between the two are the GTX460, 1GB or 768GB (1GB performs better, because of additional features not additional ram) or the radeon 6850 or 5850.

Just a note: Make sure your power supply is up to any upgrade tasks. If it isn't, spend less money on the upgrades and put some towards a new power supply.

Another note: When you get windows 7, here are the drivers for the board. Under downloads:
http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/highlights/dsktpboards/dg31pr

suteck

Distinguished
If you are doing the upgrade you should do a full upgrade. Start with here is a case with a 700 W psu for less than $75 including shipping. Or this one for $65. If not and you're going to upgrade your GPU to the mentioned, HIS H687F1G2M Radeon HD 6870, make sure your new power supply has the right connectors and at least a 500 W PSU like these do. Here's a nice motherboard to go with enzo matrix's first processor suggestion. Then of course some memory (LINK to ASUS download QVL) to go with it. Here is corsair's list of compatible memory. I like these from ebay for $138. You should be able to upgrade to 8 GB's later since this memory is supported for up to 8 GB's. This system, missing only the video card(s), is only $513 including all the shipping. If you want to save some on the video card you might like this one Sapphire Radeon HD5750 Vapor-X 1GB Video Card for only $140, and you can add a second one down the road. This brings the total to about $653 You might be able to save alittle money using your own case but, you will need a power supply as mentioned above and that's gonna run you close to the same prices mentioned with the case. Probably the difference being a name brand PSU. You can also most likely cut the mobo price in half if you go with something that doesn't have Crossfire/SLI capability (but why?). Anyway, for a few more bucks you can get a used hard drive and an inexpensive keyboard and mouse and keep your old system up and running. If you're running utorrent all the time it's not a good idea to use your primary system, it's terrible on your hard drive and uses system resources while it's running. Not to mention the open firewall. I have an old system running just for that. Just thought I'd add some options to your upgrade ideas and lists incase your still looking around.

Uhhh no. Never cheap out on the power supply. That thing only provides 420W on a single +12V rail. I also don't trust a brand I have never heard of who's google search reveals there to be no website for the company.
A faulty power supply can literally blow up in your face.

Because it is a waste of money if you will never use it? Or rather, if you will never use it for the life of the computer.
I disagree with upgrading the motherboard as I see no real advantage in it, other than being able to keep the current system running.

Also, if you intend to purchase a new motherboard and CPU, there is no point in going socket 775. The compatible CPUs are overpriced for the most part.

This is just my opinion, but I would also shy away from ebay for computer parts.

I also have an old system running utorrent. I'm looking to get an old laptop dedicated to it to reduce power. You can setup virtually any computer from the past 20 years for this task. But a hard drive with the capacity of at least 80GB is nice.

suteck

Distinguished
Well, can't argue with the power supply issue, Sorry, I was probably being too frugal to keep the price almost within budget. As for the two pcie X16 lanes, Why do you think he won't use them? It's usually cheaper to get a second card to improve your video performance than to buy a new improved card for about $300+ as the first reason the the mobo upgrade. And the second reason for the mobo upgrade is for memory. With this board you can go up to 8GB's of memory as games start using increasing amounts, this board will still be upgradeable. I stuck with the current 775 mostly because I went with your processor suggestion, that, and the impression I got was he wanted to stick with it. I think the next step up is the i7 1156 or 1366 and he said he couldn't afford them - (Yeah, around $300 just for the cpu). I just prefer ebay's site. I still shop around and go to different sources for price and warranty comparisons buy usually come back to get it at ebay. So with the exception of the power supply, I think Sahil_kr will be happy with this build. We can give you more suggestions Sahil_kr, just tell us which way you're leaning. That's what's great about forums !!! you get all different kinds of advice.
Yeah enzo matrix, I have two 80 GB IDE drives and use the directory to put all downloads onto the second hard drive (D://) in case it crashes I still have all the downloads LOL.

suteck

Distinguished
So how about this combo Sahil_kr?

Processor i3 540 3.06 GHz $120.00
Newegg

Motherboard Asus P7H55-M $100.00
Tigerdirect

Power Supply OCZ GameXStream 850W $80.00
Tigerdirect

Memory OCZ ocz3P1333LV4Gk $95.00
Tigerdirect

Case COOLER MASTER HAF 912 RC-912-KKN1 $60 free shipping
Newegg

This ASUS board already has onboard video with hdmi, dvi and vga connectors. After awhile you can upgrade to a video card of your choice. 4 GB's of memory at 7-7-7 with the ability to upgrade with another 4 GB's later (This memory is on the QVL as supporting 8 GB's for this board). With the OCZ PSU you won't have any problems with power. And the processor sounds perfect for what you're wanting to do. Shoot, if your gonna upgrade and you got $400 to do it with this sounds like a great way to go.
I have added a case because I couldn't help myself but the mobo is a mATX so it will probably fit in your existing case if you want. So for a total of ~$460 with new case that's not to shabby huh?

Ah lol. I went with the 775 CPU because of the motherboard. He could always go with an i5. the 760 can be found for $210 now.
Another alternative is an AM3 system. A phenom II 955 or 945 are good processor but not quite as fast as the 760. But they can be had for about (checks newegg) woah much less than when I last checked. You can get a 955 for $150 and I can't seem to be able to find the 945 anymore. Regardless, both CPUs (760 and 955) perform according to their price. The AMD will perform worse but at $150 is a bit more of a deal.

Another option that we haven't really mentioned yet is just adding in a 5670 to have a workable gaming rig. This should last you a bit and at $100 now, will give you the opportunity to save up a bit more money for a more powerful system next year, or longer if you find the 5670 sufficient.

suteck

Distinguished
Yeah, I looked at the i5's and the socket 1156 i7's but the price was almost double. Either will be a good upgrade in the future since the mobo will handle them but I couldn't make 'em fit in the budget. Course I left out a video card too for the same reason, but if the onboard video isn't what it's made out to be that's another upgrade for the future. The only other thought I have is that this Gigabyte board from Newegg has the H57 chipset allowing usb and sata 3 into the mix for only about $20 more. I actually like it better, especially for the price of $120. Again, more planning for future upgrades. If this is the board of choice (would be mine) the original memory we picked out will work fine. But just in case here is the list if you want something else. Check it's memory compatibility here to see what you like best.

Sahil_kr

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2010
Hey Dudes,Thanks a Lot for the Reply but i am thinking of Upgrading my Cpu only i.e.from core 2 duo to core 2 Quad.And Adding 56701GB
Plus the Additional money,buying a Hp Inkjet 4500 Office,how is the Budget and Config?

It's fine. If you can get the 512mb version for less, do. Anything that could make use of the extra video memory, you wouldn't be able to run on that card anyway (which isn't much these days anyway).

The config works and it will be a decent gaming computer. Just remember in the future that the CPU isn't what's holding you back.

suteck

Distinguished
I think you are shooting yourself in the foot. The motherboard can barely run the new processor, You will need a new minimum, (card dealers say 400w) 500W PSU for some peak moments and the card is going to suffer due to the single 4 pin mobo connecter causing a lack of power. If your planning on upgrading your motherboard in the not to distant future you should be OK then. But you're back to your original post - "Confused:Stick with current Processor or Migrate to Advanced i7?" And in keeping with that and answering your original Question "So please guys suggest me Pc Upgradation,what i need to Upgrade? " I would go with mine or enzo matrix suggestions or a similar variation of.