Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

SSD Installation

Last response: in Storage
Share
November 18, 2012 1:11:38 AM

Hi, I am currently in the market to make a couple of upgrades to my PC, and with the prices of SSD's going down, I am becoming more interested in getting one. Right now, I had a 500GB WD Caviar Blue HDD and I think it is getting the job done fast, nothing is really slow on my PC. Would I experience any major performance upgrades if I bought an SSD, or would it just be "meh"? If it would bring me greater performance, how would I be able to transfer the OS and some programs (that I choose to be transferred) from my HDD to my SSD without losing any data?

More about : ssd installation

a c 119 G Storage
November 18, 2012 1:16:51 AM

The performance increase will be very noticeable and you will never go back to a conventional hard drive again. If you hopeing for an increase in performance in gaming you will be dissapoointed because the only thing a SSD will do for you in gaming is load the maps faster. The biggest difference maker in gaming is the video card.
You can transfer your OS to the SSD and there are programs that will do that for you.
m
0
l
a c 317 G Storage
November 18, 2012 1:17:51 AM

Yes, it would be the biggest improvement that you could make. You can usually clone your OS to the new SSD, although you should always keep your HDD as a backup until successful. Usually, it is best to do a clean install, but I often just use a clone.

My top recommendation would be a 256Gb Samsung 830 SSD, followed by a Crucial 256Gb. You can use Ghost 15, True Image, or EaseUS Todo (freeware) to do the clone and all work well. First make a system repair disk (just type that into your start button run box and follow the wizard -- takes just one CD). Then make the clone, SRP (hidden system reserved partition) first, then OS drive.
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 119 G Storage
November 18, 2012 1:21:09 AM

Realbeast , the new Samsung 840 pro is out now and is better then the 830 , just got one to replace the 830 I have which will now be the secondary drive.
m
0
l
November 18, 2012 1:25:31 AM

In all honesty, I just want the SSD as a boot drive, I am still going to keep all of my photos, documents, and videos on my HDD, along with some less intensive programs. Would a 128GB OCZ Agility 4 suffice? Would I be better off just reinstalling windows onto the SSD and not cloning? Since I really don't want to clone my entire HDD.
m
0
l
a c 119 G Storage
November 18, 2012 1:30:17 AM

That's ok to do a fresh install because it gives you the opportunity to make sure that the sata mode in the bios is set to AHCI mode.
m
0
l
a c 317 G Storage
November 18, 2012 1:46:31 AM

inzone said:
Realbeast , the new Samsung 840 pro is out now and is better then the 830 , just got one to replace the 830 I have which will now be the secondary drive.
Meh, new drive without proven reliability, no noticeable difference in performance (only in benchmarks) and more expensive, so I'm not on board yet. In six months I may be, but not yet.
m
0
l
a c 317 G Storage
November 18, 2012 1:46:51 AM

FaTalxAmbition said:
In all honesty, I just want the SSD as a boot drive, I am still going to keep all of my photos, documents, and videos on my HDD, along with some less intensive programs. Would a 128GB OCZ Agility 4 suffice? Would I be better off just reinstalling windows onto the SSD and not cloning? Since I really don't want to clone my entire HDD.
That drive would give you a noticeable difference and a fresh install is always better than a clone, but I would wait for a Black Friday sale and get a 256Gb, they will be around $150.
m
0
l
a c 353 G Storage
November 18, 2012 1:54:19 AM

When going from a HDD -> SSD the best option is always a clean install.
Infact you can not really Clone a 500 gig HDD to a 128 gig SSD. What the programs do is Migrate the OS + programs + what ever else will fit (allowing you to pick and choice - depending on the program).

Yes the Agility 4 will work, it's just not as good as the Samsung 830/840, nor the Curcial M4. The Agility III and 4 both use Asynchronous NAND chips wich are slower than the Synchronous and toggle NAND. Also the Samsung controller and the Marvel control (used in curcuial M4) seem to be less problematic.

However in all reality, the performance difference will shou mostly in benchmarks, not near as much in real life.

Realbeast - What i see is that the 840 would be a excellent choice for laptop as it has lowered the Power consumption, correct on waiting to verify no release problems.

m
0
l
November 18, 2012 2:28:20 AM

RetiredChief said:
When going from a HDD -> SSD the best option is always a clean install.
Infact you can not really Clone a 500 gig HDD to a 128 gig SSD. What the programs do is Migrate the OS + programs + what ever else will fit (allowing you to pick and choice - depending on the program).

Yes the Agility 4 will work, it's just not as good as the Samsung 830/840, nor the Curcial M4. The Agility III and 4 both use Asynchronous NAND chips wich are slower than the Synchronous and toggle NAND. Also the Samsung controller and the Marvel control (used in curcuial M4) seem to be less problematic.

However in all reality, the performance difference will shou mostly in benchmarks, not near as much in real life.

Realbeast - What i see is that the 840 would be a excellent choice for laptop as it has lowered the Power consumption, correct on waiting to verify no release problems.



Where would I see these performance increases? Also, how would I be able to migrate the programs from my HDD to my SSD? Does this require a certain software?
m
0
l
a c 353 G Storage
November 18, 2012 2:45:37 AM

Clonning an migration are often intermixed. True cloning is a sector-by-sector duplication from onedrive to another. You can not move (clone) 500 Gig -> 128 gigs.
However, As long as the OS and the Programs yoy want to move occupy less than the target drive you can migrate them to the new drive.
Realbeast gave some excellent options. I have used EasyUS, which is free, and Have used EZ-GIG which cost about 15-20 Bucks (Cost is for the SATA->USB cable that is required).

As to performance difference between Async and Sync NAND, the only reall noticable diff is boot time. Might see 5->10 sec longer boot time with the slower ASync NAND. As far as program load time there would be a diff but not that noticable. that is Offiice might take 10 mSec longer to load - like you can see 10 millisecs.

My Recommendation currently stand as Samsung 830 and Curcuial m4/plextor M3/M4. Will Include samsung 840 as soon as I'm convinced on reliability.
Have 3 Cucuial M4's, 3 Samsung 830's and 2 Agility III's
m
0
l
!