Add/Remove windows componets on multiple computers autmati..

Hi,

I have many computers with Windows XP Pro installed and I'd like to add fax
service without need to install it manually on each computer.
Computers are connected to Active Directory on 2003 server. Could anyone
point me how to do it ?
2 answers Last reply
More about remove windows componets multiple computers autmati

    luke wrote:

    > I have many computers with Windows XP Pro installed and I'd like
    > to add fax service without need to install it manually on each
    > computer. Computers are connected to Active Directory on 2003
    > server. Could anyone point me how to do it ?
    Hi,

    Use sysocmgr.exe with an answer file. You can run the sysocmgr
    installation e.g. in a user logon script (if the users are local
    admins), or in a computer startup script.

    A computer startup script (started with a GPO) runs as part of the
    boot up process (before the user logs in). It runs under the system
    context and has admin rights.

    More about sysocmgr.exe here:
    http://groups.google.co.uk/groups?selm=%23UR5Hri%24EHA.2984%40TK2MSFTNGP09.phx.gbl

    and
    http://groups.google.co.uk/group/microsoft.public.windowsxp.print_fax/msg/23543b442c4d34a4?hl=en

    For the OS setup file location (to avoid the installation to ask for
    the Windows XP CD if it needs some files), take a look at the end of
    this post:
    http://groups.google.co.uk/group/microsoft.public.windows.server.dns/msg/a071b6b0c2813131

    Below is a VBScript you can use in a logon/startup script to install
    the Fax Service, it will test if the service is missing on the
    computer, and if it is, it will create the input file to sysocmgr.exe
    on the fly, and then run sysocmgr.exe.

    '--------------------8<----------------------

    Const OpenAsASCII = 0
    Const OverwriteIfExist = -1

    Set oShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")

    sFaxValue = "HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Setup" _
    & "\OC Manager\Subcomponents\fax"

    If RegRead(sFaxValue) <> 1 Then

    ' create input file for Sysocmgr.exe
    sFile = "c:\faxinstall.txt"
    Set fFile = oFSO.CreateTextFile _
    (sFile, OverwriteIfExist, OpenAsASCII)

    fFile.WriteLine "[Components]"
    fFile.WriteLine "Fax=on"
    fFile.Close

    sCmd = "%SystemRoot%\System32\sysocmgr.exe" _
    & " /i:%SystemRoot%\inf\sysoc.inf /u:c:\faxinstall.txt /q"
    oShell.Run sCmd, 0, True
    oFSO.DeleteFile sFile, True
    End If

    Function RegRead(ByVal sRegValue)
    Set oShell = CreateObject("WScript.Shell")
    On Error Resume Next
    RegRead = oShell.RegRead(sRegValue)
    ' If the value does not exist, error is raised
    If Err Then
    RegRead = ""
    Err.clear
    End If
    ' If a value is present but uninitialized the RegRead method
    ' returns the input value in Win2k.
    If VarType(RegRead) < vbArray Then
    If RegRead = sRegValue Then
    RegRead = ""
    End If
    End If
    On Error Goto 0
    End Function

    '--------------------8<----------------------

    WSH 5.6 documentation (local help file) can be downloaded from here
    if you haven't got it already:

    the 1328 page Scripting Guide:

    You may serach KB for GPO
    "luke" <luke@discussions.microsoft.com> дÈëÏûÏ¢ÐÂÎÅ:AB0112EA-FBDD-4B35-9683-E347EBFAEEDD@microsoft.com...
    > Hi,
    >
    > I have many computers with Windows XP Pro installed and I'd like to add
    > fax
    > service without need to install it manually on each computer.
    > Computers are connected to Active Directory on 2003 server. Could anyone
    > point me how to do it ?

Configuration Computers Windows XP