now to rezize for web? I have 500 photos!

Last response: in Digital Camera
December 29, 2004 4:49:14 PM

Archived from groups: alt.graphics.photoshop,comp.graphics.apps.photoshop,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

Hey folks,

Ive got photoshop7 and about 500 photos at about 7 megapixel in size taken
with my new digital camera
Now I want to put them all on a webpage.

The original jpegs are about 3,000 to 4,000 kbytes in size

My question: can photoshop do a batch resize to about 600x400 and save at a
lower quality jpeg setting (ie level 6-7).

I'm aiming to make no more than 100 kbtytes in size.

Thanks in advance!

More about : rezize web 500 photos

Anonymous
December 29, 2004 4:49:15 PM

"dan spader" <anon@nospam.com> wrote in message
> Hey folks,
>
> Ive got photoshop7 and about 500 photos at about 7 megapixel in size taken
> with my new digital camera
> Now I want to put them all on a webpage.
>
> The original jpegs are about 3,000 to 4,000 kbytes in size
>
> My question: can photoshop do a batch resize to about 600x400 and save at
> lower quality jpeg setting (ie level 6-7).
>
> I'm aiming to make no more than 100 kbtytes in size.
>
> Thanks in advance!

Yes.

You just create an action, and then apply it to a whole folder of pics, with
saving instructions included.
Anonymous
December 29, 2004 4:49:15 PM

dan spader wrote in message ...
> Ive got 500 photos at about 7 megapixel in size
> Now I want to put them all on a webpage.

If you want people to "enjoy" your images, you're crazy to try and do a 'bodge'
(sorry 'batch') job, except for maybe the sizing only.

To get it right you have to do each image individually, the cropping, the colour
correction, lighten, darken, sometime selective changes, and finally the 'unsharp
mask', before "saving for web".

For dial-up users (55% of all users) 800x600 is just too big. 600x400 is fine for web
use and try to keep the file size down to 60K or below if you "really" want people to
look.

There's no point in buying P/S 7 and doing a cheap job.

--
Steve.
December 29, 2004 4:49:15 PM

Archived from groups: alt.graphics.photoshop,comp.graphics.apps.photoshop,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

another idea:
create a thumbnail-site (also possible with irfanview) where everyone who is
interested to see a specific picture is linked to a view of better quality

PiT

"dan spader" <anon@nospam.com> schrieb im Newsbeitrag
> Hey folks,
>
> Ive got photoshop7 and about 500 photos at about 7 megapixel in size taken
> with my new digital camera
> Now I want to put them all on a webpage.
>
> The original jpegs are about 3,000 to 4,000 kbytes in size
>
> My question: can photoshop do a batch resize to about 600x400 and save at
> lower quality jpeg setting (ie level 6-7).
>
> I'm aiming to make no more than 100 kbtytes in size.
>
> Thanks in advance!

Anonymous
December 29, 2004 4:49:15 PM

Archived from groups: alt.graphics.photoshop,comp.graphics.apps.photoshop,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 13:49:14 +0800, "dan spader" <anon@nospam.com>
wrote:

[snip]
>My question: can photoshop do a batch resize to about 600x400 and save at a
>lower quality jpeg setting (ie level 6-7).
[snip]

As others have said, an Action can automate this for you. And there's
IrfanView too.

Another trick I use when I get lazy with Actions is to use
Photoshop's Automate tool for "Web Photo Gallery". You can then use
the html pages or just extract the jpg files from the "images"
folder.

As another poster pointed out though, automation can have its
problems. The images will not be optimised for quality and/or size. I
find that when I resize that I need to apply differing levels of
sharpness. Again, Actions can do this for you to some extent by
applying some level of sharpness but it will have to be a good guess.

Good Luck!

--
Kulvinder Singh Matharu
Website : www.metalvortex.com

"It ain't Coca Cola, it's rice", Straight to Hell - The Clash
December 29, 2004 4:49:15 PM

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 13:49:14 +0800, dan spader wrote:

> Ive got photoshop7 and about 500 photos at about 7 megapixel in size taken
> with my new digital camera. Now I want to put them all on a webpage.
>
> My question: can photoshop do a batch resize to about 600x400 and save at a
> lower quality jpeg setting (ie level 6-7).
>
> I'm aiming to make no more than 100 kbtytes in size.

JpegSizer will do this and a lot more during the batch process, such as
re-sharpening after resizing, and adding captions (watermarks).

It will also let you generate resized thumbnails AND full-screen images in
the same batch run.

Free downloads at http://jpegsizer.tangotools.com

HTH

Peter

Need to resize images for email attachments or web pages?
Try Jpeg Sizer at: http://www.tangotools.com?s=ng
December 29, 2004 4:49:16 PM

Archived from groups: alt.graphics.photoshop,comp.graphics.apps.photoshop,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

> > Ive got photoshop7 and about 500 photos at about 7 megapixel in size
taken
> > with my new digital camera
> > Now I want to put them all on a webpage.
> >
> > The original jpegs are about 3,000 to 4,000 kbytes in size
> >
> > My question: can photoshop do a batch resize to about 600x400 and save
at
> > lower quality jpeg setting (ie level 6-7).

> You just create an action, and then apply it to a whole folder of pics,
with
> saving instructions included.

Or use Irfanview's batch mode to resize and resample the pictures for the
web. See http://www.irfanview.com

Jean
Anonymous
December 29, 2004 4:49:16 PM

"Steve R." <stevie_ritchieNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> dan spader wrote in message ...
> > Ive got 500 photos at about 7 megapixel in size
> > Now I want to put them all on a webpage.
>
> If you want people to "enjoy" your images, you're crazy to try and do a
'bodge'
> (sorry 'batch') job, except for maybe the sizing only.
>
> To get it right you have to do each image individually, the cropping, the
colour
> correction, lighten, darken, sometime selective changes, and finally the
'unsharp
> mask', before "saving for web".
>
> For dial-up users (55% of all users) 800x600 is just too big. 600x400 is
fine for web
> use and try to keep the file size down to 60K or below if you "really"
want people to
> look.
>
> There's no point in buying P/S 7 and doing a cheap job.

You're getting worked up over something he neither said, nor implied.
:)
All he was talking about batching WAS CROPPING.
That was IT.
Anonymous
December 29, 2004 4:49:16 PM

Archived from groups: alt.graphics.photoshop,comp.graphics.apps.photoshop,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

"Steve R." <stevie_ritchieNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> dan spader wrote in message ...
>> Ive got 500 photos at about 7 megapixel in size
>> Now I want to put them all on a webpage.
>
> If you want people to "enjoy" your images, you're crazy to try and do a
> 'bodge'
> (sorry 'batch') job, except for maybe the sizing only.
>
> To get it right you have to do each image individually, the cropping, the
> colour
> correction, lighten, darken, sometime selective changes, and finally the
> 'unsharp
> mask', before "saving for web".

"Getting it right" seems to be the least of concerns for the new digital
mavens.
Anonymous
December 29, 2004 4:49:17 PM

"jean" <try-to@find.it> wrote in message
> > > Ive got photoshop7 and about 500 photos at about 7 megapixel in size
> taken
> > > with my new digital camera
> > > Now I want to put them all on a webpage.
> > >
> > > The original jpegs are about 3,000 to 4,000 kbytes in size
> > >
> > > My question: can photoshop do a batch resize to about 600x400 and save
> at
> > > lower quality jpeg setting (ie level 6-7).
>
> > You just create an action, and then apply it to a whole folder of pics,
> with
> > saving instructions included.
>
> Or use Irfanview's batch mode to resize and resample the pictures for the
> web. See http://www.irfanview.com

Yes.
Much more simple/easy.
ACDSee has a similar tool.
Anonymous
December 29, 2004 4:49:17 PM

Mark² wrote in message ...
> You're getting worked up over something he neither said, nor implied.
> All he was talking about batching WAS CROPPING.

So why did he say this .... ?

..... Now I want to put them all on a webpage.

..... Save at a lower quality jpeg setting (ie level 6-7).

..... I'm aiming to make no more than 100 kbtytes in size.

That involves a lot more than "just" cropping.

I was trying to give some "good'" advice, in case he was unaware of the number of
dial-uppers (and others) who just "go away" when confronted with images with large
file-sizes.

600 x 400 is ample for web-viewing, even 450 to 500 pixels wide is fine, at around
35Kb, and you then get a lot more "happy" visitors as a result.

--
Steve.
Anonymous

> Mark² wrote in message ...
> > You're getting worked up over something he neither said, nor implied.
> > All he was talking about batching WAS CROPPING.
>
> So why did he say this .... ?
>
> .... Now I want to put them all on a webpage.
>
> .... Save at a lower quality jpeg setting (ie level 6-7).
>
> .... I'm aiming to make no more than 100 kbtytes in size.
>
> That involves a lot more than "just" cropping.
>
> I was trying to give some "good'" advice, in case he was unaware of the
number of
> dial-uppers (and others) who just "go away" when confronted with images
with large
> file-sizes.
>
> 600 x 400 is ample for web-viewing, even 450 to 500 pixels wide is fine,
at around
> 35Kb, and you then get a lot more "happy" visitors as a result.

I accidentally used the wrong word... Not cropping...
RESIZING.
That's all he is talking about.

He's not talking about color correction, etc.
All he wants to do is lower the resolution/make the file size smaller.
Quite simple, really.

When you resize, and save in a batch, the jpeg compression level is part of
that process.

Again.
Very simple, and doesn't involve anything you mention.
December 29, 2004 4:49:18 PM

Mark² wrote:

>>Or use Irfanview's batch mode to resize and resample the pictures for the
>>web. See http://www.irfanview.com
>

> Yes.
> Much more simple/easy.

Irfanview is a LOT faster too.
Anonymous
December 29, 2004 8:29:46 PM

>batch resize to about 600x400 and save at a
>lower quality jpeg setting (ie level 6-7).
>
>I'm aiming to make no more than 100 kbtytes in size.

dont reduce jpeg quality, just reduce their size; no one will download 500 pics
of 100kb each btw.
Anonymous
December 30, 2004 10:47:27 AM

"paul" <paul@not.net> wrote in message
> Mark² wrote:
> >>
> >>Or use Irfanview's batch mode to resize and resample the pictures for
the
> >>web. See http://www.irfanview.com
> >

> > Yes.
> > Much more simple/easy.
>

> Irfanview is a LOT faster too.

Thanks for the tips guys
Anonymous
December 30, 2004 10:56:52 AM

> "Steve R." <stevie_ritchieNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Mark² wrote in message ...
> > > You're getting worked up over something he neither said, nor implied.
> > > All he was talking about batching WAS CROPPING.
> >
> > So why did he say this .... ?
> >
> > .... Now I want to put them all on a webpage.
> >
> > .... Save at a lower quality jpeg setting (ie level 6-7).
> >
> > .... I'm aiming to make no more than 100 kbtytes in size.
> >
> > That involves a lot more than "just" cropping.
> >
> > I was trying to give some "good'" advice, in case he was unaware of the
> number of
> > dial-uppers (and others) who just "go away" when confronted with images
> with large
> > file-sizes.
> >
> > 600 x 400 is ample for web-viewing, even 450 to 500 pixels wide is fine,
> at around
> > 35Kb, and you then get a lot more "happy" visitors as a result.
>
> I accidentally used the wrong word... Not cropping...
> RESIZING.
> That's all he is talking about.
>
> He's not talking about color correction, etc.
> All he wants to do is lower the resolution/make the file size smaller.
> Quite simple, really.
>
> When you resize, and save in a batch, the jpeg compression level is part
of
> that process.
>
> Again.
> Very simple, and doesn't involve anything you mention.

Steve R, thanks, but bodge this is my only option, these are 500 photos that
I am catering only for my friends to see who I know all have broadband and
1024 resolution screens so that 800 pixel length jpeg will be best for them.

Of course you are right to individually save them when they are photos i
care about (ie in my online photo portfolio), but these are mainly of past
drunk office parties and I dont care about them.

I guess I should have further explained myself in my short original post
about the type of photos i was posting.
Anonymous
December 30, 2004 11:01:25 AM

"jjs" <jjs@nospam.net> wrote in message
> "Steve R." <stevie_ritchieNOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > dan spader wrote in message ...
> >> Ive got 500 photos at about 7 megapixel in size
> >> Now I want to put them all on a webpage.
> >
> > If you want people to "enjoy" your images, you're crazy to try and do a
> > 'bodge'
> > (sorry 'batch') job, except for maybe the sizing only.
> >
> > To get it right you have to do each image individually, the cropping,
the
> > colour
> > correction, lighten, darken, sometime selective changes, and finally the
> > 'unsharp
> > mask', before "saving for web".
>
> "Getting it right" seems to be the least of concerns for the new digital
> mavens.

Heh, its 500 photos of some drunk parties i was attending :)

Getting it right will be for my serious photography for which this is not :)
Anonymous
December 30, 2004 11:06:43 AM

"Developwebsites" <developwebsites@aol.comBATSPAM> wrote in message
> >batch resize to about 600x400 and save at a
> >lower quality jpeg setting (ie level 6-7).
> >
> >I'm aiming to make no more than 100 kbtytes in size.
> >

> dont reduce jpeg quality, just reduce their size; no one will download 500
pics
> of 100kb each btw.

They will, if I put them all onto1 page with no thumbnails

Ive put a warning to "click once and go and make a cup of coffee come back
in 10 minutes".

Beats scolling though 500 tiny thumnails and clicking each one. thats 500
clicks versus 1 click.

Also all my friends have fast high bandwidth connnections
Anonymous
December 30, 2004 11:28:43 AM

Archived from groups: alt.graphics.photoshop,comp.graphics.apps.photoshop,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 13:49:14 +0800, "dan spader" <anon@nospam.com> wrote:

> Ive got photoshop7 and about 500 photos at about 7 megapixel in size taken
> with my new digital camera
> Now I want to put them all on a webpage.
>
> The original jpegs are about 3,000 to 4,000 kbytes in size
>
> My question: can photoshop do a batch resize to about 600x400 and save at a
> lower quality jpeg setting (ie level 6-7).
>
> I'm aiming to make no more than 100 kbtytes in size.
>
> Thanks in advance!

Check out Graphic Workshop Professional.
Anonymous
December 30, 2004 11:28:44 AM

"Ken Oaf" <tipsy@beerlover.com.au> wrote in message
> On Wed, 29 Dec 2004 13:49:14 +0800, "dan spader" <anon@nospam.com> wrote:
>
>> Ive got photoshop7 and about 500 photos at about 7 megapixel in size
>> taken
>> with my new digital camera
>> Now I want to put them all on a webpage.

> Check out Graphic Workshop Professional.

Why? Everything he wants to do is right in Photoshop and ImageReady.
PRESS F1
Anonymous
December 30, 2004 11:46:39 AM

"dan spader" <anon@nospam.com> writes:

> "Developwebsites" <developwebsites@aol.comBATSPAM> wrote in message
>
> They will, if I put them all onto1 page with no thumbnails
>
> Ive put a warning to "click once and go and make a cup of coffee come back
> in 10 minutes".
>
> Beats scolling though 500 tiny thumnails and clicking each one. thats 500
> clicks versus 1 click.
>
> Also all my friends have fast high bandwidth connnections

If it's 50 pictures each from 10 drunk parties, wouldn't it be better to
have a front page that had groups of thumbnails from each party, plus a
link to a page with 50 full-size pictures?

I agree that scrolling through many full-size pictures on one page is
better than clicking through thumbnails or watching a slide show, but
with 500 pictures I think the scrolling would get awkward.

--

http://ourdoings.com/ Let your digital photos organize themselves.
Sign up today for a 7-day free trial.

> Heh, its 500 photos of some drunk parties i was attending :)
>
> Getting it right will be for my serious photography for which this is not
> :)

I have routinely cut over 7,000 images a day with Photoshop Actions and
Droplets. It seems a shame to go looking all over the world for a solution
you have already purchased.
December 31, 2004 6:28:43 PM

jjs wrote:
> "dan spader" <anon@nospam.com> wrote in message
>

>>Heh, its 500 photos of some drunk parties i was attending :)
>>
>>Getting it right will be for my serious photography for which this is not
>>:)

Use Dr. Brown's Image Processor 2.2
http://www.russellbrown.com/tips_tech.html It is easy, fast, and great
to do things just like this.

Clyde
Anonymous
December 31, 2004 8:14:05 PM

"Clyde" <lughclyde@attbi.comedy> wrote in message
> jjs wrote:
>> "dan spader" <anon@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>

>>>Heh, its 500 photos of some drunk parties i was attending :)
>>>
>>>Getting it right will be for my serious photography for which this is not
>>>:)
>
> Use Dr. Brown's Image Processor 2.2
> http://www.russellbrown.com/tips_tech.html It is easy, fast, and great to
> do things just like this.

Irfanview batch processing .. does anything you want in one stroke if needed
... just converted 1200+ scanned slides to fit standard 1024x768 size, mixed
landscape & portrait pictures .. works like a charm ..

FWIW
January 1, 2005 8:55:36 AM

Archived from groups: alt.graphics.photoshop,comp.graphics.apps.photoshop,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

This is great! Is there a version for Windows 98SE?

"dushu" <dushyant.ahuja@gmail.com> wrote in message
> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/...
>
> Install Power Toys. It has a good image resizer. integrates with
> Explorer. all you need to do is right-click and click on resize

Anonymous
January 9, 2005 6:48:34 PM

Archived from groups: alt.graphics.photoshop,comp.graphics.apps.photoshop,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

"dan spader" <anon@nospam.com> writes:
> Hey folks,
>
> Ive got photoshop7 and about 500 photos at about 7 megapixel in size taken
> with my new digital camera
> Now I want to put them all on a webpage.
>
> The original jpegs are about 3,000 to 4,000 kbytes in size
>
> My question: can photoshop do a batch resize to about 600x400 and save at a
> lower quality jpeg setting (ie level 6-7).
>
> I'm aiming to make no more than 100 kbtytes in size.

ImageMagick "convert.exe" is what you want.

If yer on windows, head to http://cygwin.com/

In the installer, make sure you get ImageMagick selected.

Here's an example of how it'd be used to downsample your photos in
batch:
http://www-106.ibm.com/developerworks/library/l-graf/?c...

ImageMagick homepage:
http://www.imagemagick.org/

Best Regards,
--
Todd H.
http://www.toddh.net/

"Todd H." <t@toddh.net> wrote in message news:m0mzvi2s0d.fsf@ripco.com...

> #### "####.exe" is what you want.

The man already has Photoshop which will do what he wants. Why should he go
with your program? Or is it spam?
Anonymous
January 9, 2005 6:58:45 PM

> "Todd H." <t@toddh.net> wrote in message news:m0mzvi2s0d.fsf@ripco.com...
>
> > #### "####.exe" is what you want.
>
> The man already has Photoshop which will do what he wants. Why should he
go
> with your program? Or is it spam?

I have PS CS too, but I still use ACDSee for quick re-sizing of large
quantities of images for the web...
WAY easier than photoshop--even than using batch/action commands...
Anonymous
January 9, 2005 11:29:38 PM

"Mark2" <mjmorgan(lowest even number here)@cox..net> wrote in message

> "jjs" <jjs@nospam.net> wrote in message
>> "Todd H." <t@toddh.net> wrote in message
>>
>> > #### "####.exe" is what you want.
>>
>> The man already has Photoshop which will do what he wants. Why
>> should he
> go
>> with your program? Or is it spam?
>
> I have PS CS too, but I still use ACDSee for quick re-sizing of
> large
> quantities of images for the web...
> WAY easier than photoshop--even than using batch/action commands...

It is very easy to use the Windows command: File----resize pictures.
It can be applied simultaneously to a selected group of pictures and
besides the choices of Small, Medium, Large and Handheld, a Custom
size is available. I haven't tried it for more than about 30 pictures
at a time but I see no reason why that number should be a limitation.

--
James V. Silverton
Potomac, Maryland, USA

"James Silverton" <not.jim.silverton@erols.com> wrote in message

> It is very easy to use the Windows command: File----resize pictures.

Using a native windows command? How?
Anonymous
January 10, 2005 1:54:12 AM

Archived from groups: alt.graphics.photoshop,comp.graphics.apps.photoshop,rec.photo.digital (More info?)

"jjs" <jjs@nospam.net> wrote in message
> "Todd H." <t@toddh.net> wrote in message news:m0mzvi2s0d.fsf@ripco.com...
>
>> #### "####.exe" is what you want.
>
> The man already has Photoshop which will do what he wants. Why should he
> go with your program? Or is it spam?

he may be even better off with Irfanview ...
FWIW
Anonymous
January 10, 2005 1:54:13 AM

imbsysop wrote:
> "jjs" <jjs@nospam.net> wrote in message
>
>>"Todd H." <t@toddh.net> wrote in message news:m0mzvi2s0d.fsf@ripco.com...
>>

>>>#### "####.exe" is what you want.
>>
>>The man already has Photoshop which will do what he wants. Why should he
>>go with your program? Or is it spam?
>>

> he may be even better off with Irfanview ...
> FWIW

He would probably have the job done with Irfanview before he figured how
to use the Photoshop CS actions to do the job.

--
Ron Hunter rphunter@charter.net
Anonymous

> "James Silverton" <not.jim.silverton@erols.com> wrote in message
>
>> It is very easy to use the Windows command: File----resize
>> pictures.
>
> Using a native windows command? How?

I am using Windows XP and, when a graphics file is selected in
Explorer, the File button displays Resize Picture as one of the
options. I'm not sure but, if you don't see the choice, I may have
installed it with the Tweakui Powertoy for Windows XP from Microsoft.

--
James V. Silverton
Potomac, Maryland, USA

>>> It is very easy to use the Windows command: File----resize
>>> pictures.
>>
>> Using a native windows command? How?
>
> I am using Windows XP and, when a graphics file is selected in
> Explorer, the File button displays Resize Picture as one of the
> options. I'm not sure but, if you don't see the choice, I may have
> installed it with the Tweakui Powertoy for Windows XP from
> Microsoft.

Further to my message, I did a little checking and the resizer *is*
available as a download from:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/powertoys/...

The download is only 512kB and has never caused any problems, so much
so that I use it automatically and had forgotten that it was not part
of the basic installation.

--
James V. Silverton
Potomac, Maryland, USA