Sign in with
Your question

Need help formatting a newly installed HDD

Last response: in Storage
November 18, 2012 2:40:55 AM

I use my SSD as my primary boot for windows, so now I installed a new 2tb WD HDD for all my storage. Normally you would just go to computer management and within storage right click the unallocated drive and right click and click new partition. But for some reason I don't have this option I only have properties, but if I right click where it says Disk 0 (unknown)1863GB Not initialized my right click options are; Initialize Disc, Offline, and properties. I read that initializing the disc is a lower level way of formatting but that's the only option I really have. If I do initialize the disc I have the option to either choose MBR (Master Boot Record) or GPT (GUID Partition Table) and I am unclear on which to choose. I would really appreciate some help, thanks.
a c 119 G Storage
November 18, 2012 3:44:40 AM

You need to initialize the disk , then you'll be able to partition it and format. You would choose MBR after you initialize the disk.
m
l
July 31, 2013 8:03:04 PM

inzone said:
You need to initialize the disk , then you'll be able to partition it and format. You would choose MBR after you initialize the disk.

How does one initialize a disk, if I might ask? I've been searching for a non-jargon-infused tutorial on the internet and experimenting for around two hours, so it's not a lack of wanting to look.
m
l
Related resources
!