SSD Options for new PC build

Status
Not open for further replies.

nosliwec

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2012
I am currently planning a new PC build and have come to a decision I feel I need input on. I have held out this long to finally get an SSD as the prices decreased and sizes have increased enough to warrant one. My problem is I still want minimally 480 or 512 GB (depending on manufacture). I was thinking of RAID 0 two 128 GB Crucial m4s, but saw one 512 GB Crucial m4 at the same price as two. Curious, I looked at the Samsung 830 which seems like gets better marks than the m4. One 830 128 GB costs about $20 more than an m4, which I can handle. Looking at the 512 GB 830, though, costs $140 more than a 512 GB m4. So my dilemma is:

one 512 GB Crucial m4 or
two 128 GB Samsung 830 in RAID 0?

I have heard that some SSDs don't lose TRIM support in RAID arrays now. Either with one drive or two drives, I plan to use an old HDD that has enough space for a complete mirror. So in a RAID 0, I would still have my drives backed up in case one fails.

Solution
I would go with one Crucial M4 as one disk will be more stable than a RAID, plus you get another 256GB. I have used their SSDs and although they are not as fast at writes, they are still fast and reliable (and more affordable too).
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS