Sign in with
Your question

Three monitors in Windows 7

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 12, 2010 10:16:41 PM

I'm considering trying to put three monitors on my Windows 7 PC. I currently have two running off my graphics card. I'd like to add a second graphics card to use for a third monitor (not looking to do crossfire or anything fancy like that). Is it possible to just buy a relatively cheap PCIe graphics card for this purpose? I have a PCIe slot open on my mobo, but I don't want to spend the $50-100 on another card just to have this not work.
(Also: does the second card have to be an identical graphics card?)

My current setup:
Windows 7 Pro
Core i7-860
ASUS P7P55D Deluxe Mobo
Corsair CMPSU-650TX 650W PSU
Sapphire 100283-2L Radeon HD 5770 PCIe Graphics card
4GB DDR3 SDRAM

Thanks in advance for any advice.

More about : monitors windows

a c 171 U Graphics card
a b $ Windows 7
a b C Monitor
July 12, 2010 10:56:11 PM

You have a 5770 so if you buy a Display Port (DP) monitor you should be able to just plug it into your 5770. You can also buy an active DP to DVI adapter and do the same thing. You might as well turn on Eyefinity, it will make all three screens act as one. Even if you don't turn it on you should be able to use all three screen, they will just act as three different screens.

If for whatever reason you don't want to go this route then just buy a second GPU. Plug it in, hook up your monitor, and possible turn it on in windows. (sometimes you need to activate it) Should be just like turning on your second one.
m
l
a c 259 U Graphics card
a b $ Windows 7
a b C Monitor
July 12, 2010 11:01:54 PM

Not a problem.

I bought a cheap 3450 and put it in a second pci-e slot to run a second monitor. I only use one monitor on my 5870 so it can get the full power for gaming. With windows 7 you can now have multiple graphics drivers, but it is simpler to just add a card that uses the same driver.
m
l
!