Sign in with
Your question

SSD for windows and HDD for programs?

Last response: in Storage
November 18, 2012 4:50:25 AM

I currently have an 80Gb HDD with Windows 7 installed and a 160Gb HDD with the various program files and applications on it.
I did this originally as I assumed that the pc can read/write data simultaneously to both drives which should speed up performance when loading programs..
Other data such as videos, pictures etc are stored on a 1Tb HDD.
I am thinking of getting a Samsung 64Gb SSD drive.
The question is, will it work faster for the Windows and all the program files to be on the SSD drive or just let the operating system run from the SSD and keep the program files on the 160Gb HDD?
Thanks for any replies.
a b G Storage
November 18, 2012 5:17:34 AM

put your operating system and programs in ssd drive..

if you keep the programs in hdd, thats means, the programs load with hdd speed, not ssd..
another option, you can use your ssd as a cache drive..you'll gain notably speed rather than using hdd only..
November 18, 2012 7:10:27 AM

Quaddro said:
put your operating system and programs in ssd drive..

if you keep the programs in hdd, thats means, the programs load with hdd speed, not ssd..
another option, you can use your ssd as a cache drive..you'll gain notably speed rather than using hdd only..

How do you use the SSD as a cache drive?

I have a 256GB Samsung 830 Series
Related resources
a b G Storage
November 18, 2012 11:02:08 AM

don2xify said:

you can use ebostr to make ssd or usb as a cache drive..
http://www.eboostr.com/

a b G Storage
November 18, 2012 1:59:58 PM

don2xify said:

If you have a 256 gb samsung DO NOT use it as a cache drive. Cache drives are old technology. Before people used to buy a low gb ssd (like 32, 60, or 64gb) and use it as a cache drive to access things fast. Well, SSDs prices have dropped and now they are used as main drive. So, you should install OS and all programs on your SSD. Use your HDD for all other files. This will give you the greatest performance out of your system.
November 18, 2012 6:42:18 PM

envy14tpe said:
If you have a 256 gb samsung DO NOT use it as a cache drive. Cache drives are old technology. Before people used to buy a low gb ssd (like 32, 60, or 64gb) and use it as a cache drive to access things fast. Well, SSDs prices have dropped and now they are used as main drive. So, you should install OS and all programs on your SSD. Use your HDD for all other files. This will give you the greatest performance out of your system.

alright.. thanks
November 19, 2012 4:48:48 AM

Ok, which SSD drive do I buy, Samsung, Sandisk or OCZ?
I want a drive with a long lifespan if possible.
November 19, 2012 5:04:14 AM

rcflyers said:
Ok, which SSD drive do I buy, Samsung, Sandisk or OCZ?
I want a drive with a long lifespan if possible.

Samsung is good.. I like them. I heard they have good reputation because they're very reliable and have good products.
a b G Storage
November 19, 2012 5:34:51 AM

^+1

yup...
Samsung 830/840 and Crucial M4 is a good SSD..

a b G Storage
November 19, 2012 8:36:37 AM

Samsung 830/840, Intel 330, OCZ Vertex 4. Intel and Samsung have great reliability, although Samsung may be faster than Intel. Vertex 4 is supposed to have solved prior quality issues of Vertex 2 and Vertex 3.
!