Closed Solved

Building Dual GTX 480 System, need a good case

So, this case needs to have good ventilation. I'm not using any kind of water cooling system or anything fancy. Just need a case with good ventilation, perhaps dual fans (one on the front to intake air, one on the back to exhaust). Thanks for your suggestions in advance!
37 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about building dual system good case
  1. Those are excellent. Thanks a ton. I don't want to break any rules by making a separate thread, so I have one additional question.

    I'm going to need a 1000w or 1200w SLI ready PSU. Can you give me a suggestion as to which to get? Here is the rig I'm building:

    i7 860 Quad Core 2.8GHz (May Overclock)
    Asus Maximus Gene III Motherboard
    8GB (2x4GB) PC12800 DDR3 1600 Memory
    1TB 7200RPM Sata HDD
    Dual GTX480 SLI GPUs

    Before the GPUs are added, this awesome rig can be made for about 1000 (thanks to you and your great case recommendations). I just need to settle on a PSU wattage. Also, could you suggest some well priced PSUs for the wattage you recommend? Thanks a ton!
  2. The 950w should do. Thanks a lot. This all came to about $1000 like I planned (before GPUs). Everything seems to be going well. Thanks a lot guys!
  3. Have you already purchased the 480's and everything else?
  4. No. I just priced everything.
  5. Then i recommend 2x 6870's over 2x 480's. Or wait until 69xx. Crossfire scaling is extremely good now, so 2x 6870's get very close to 2x 480's. They also do so at about half the cost, and a whole lot less heat and power. Or if you OC, id get 2x 6850's. The 480's are horridly overpriced now, almost every card out now has seen price cuts lately besides the 480 and 5850. The cheapest 480's are about $450. The 5870 is a full $110 less, the 470 a full $190 less and the 6870 a full $200 less. A very bad buy.
  6. Personally I love the NZXT Phantom case! (Here on newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146068) I've ha my eye on this one for a while now. It has excelent cooling options for both air and liquid including an excellent fan controller integrated into the top of the case. Lots of toolless design to it. And the PSU mounts bottom side -- which in my opinion looks about 1000x better. It comes in white, red and black. The only draw back is the odd shape. Personally I love it, but others not so much.
  7. brisa117 said:
    Personally I love the NZXT Phantom case! (Here on newegg: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811146068) I've ha my eye on this one for a while now. It has excelent cooling options for both air and liquid including an excellent fan controller integrated into the top of the case. Lots of toolless design to it. And the PSU mounts bottom side -- which in my opinion looks about 1000x better. It comes in white, red and black. The only draw back is the odd shape. Personally I love it, but others not so much.


    Its not that it isnt good, its just that there are better cases, and more importantly better cases for the money.
  8. Twoboxer said:


    Actually, the FT series is the updated version of the RV series.
  9. Yeah, but in the few cooling performance reviews I can find it is outperformed by the HAF932. Must be some important differences vs the Raven.
  10. Now you guys have me debating on the case again lol. Are the Ravens really that good?
  11. Cymerian said:
    Now you guys have me debating on the case again lol. Are the Ravens really that good?


    Cooling, yes, as an overall case, i tend to think not.
  12. What's wrong with it, overall? Size isn't a problem for me. But if there are other issues, I'd like to hear them.
  13. Cymerian said:
    Now you guys have me debating on the case again lol. Are the Ravens really that good?


    its a cool case? yes

    is having your mobo face straight up so all your slots are on the top? ...

    will a $100 case give you just as good performance?...probably

    If I was water cooling your system, I would definitely look at the raven
  14. Cymerian said:
    What's wrong with it, overall? Size isn't a problem for me. But if there are other issues, I'd like to hear them.


    The 90 degree thing help cooling a lot, but hurts the functionality of the case. Thats the main problem with it. A case like this:

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119216&cm_re=692-_-11-119-216-_-Product

    Would be much more functional, yet have worse cooling at stock. But dont let prices and appearances fool you, it gets my vote for best case on the market. Dont let pricing and looks deceive you. It has the features and interior of a $150-200 case, yet the stock cooling of a sub $100. HOWEVER, it has literally 10 slots for fans, and given the super low price, you can load it up with enough fans to out-cool almost any case on the market. Granted, i dont mean buy 10 $7 CM fans, id buy maybe 3 good fans to accompany the 3 it already has, more is not always better when it comes to fans.
  15. Cymerian said:
    What's wrong with it, overall? Size isn't a problem for me. But if there are other issues, I'd like to hear them.



    there is nothing wrong with it but now you are talking about the antec 1200 at the same price. at $180, the Cooler master HAF X is on sale. so comparing it to a $100 case is not fair.
  16. Posts here are saying that the mobo rotation hurts functionality, but no one gives an example of exactly what gets hurt so you can evaluate it.

    Frankly, if you are putting your case on the floor, the Raven case is actually more functional than a standard case. Shorter run for all cables and no dust catchers on the floor.

    A case needs to hold your stuff, keep things cool, and help with noise. There isn't anything in that list the Raven doesn't provide. The only thing to "watch" is, as mentioned in the review, you may need right-angle SATA connectors.

    The last thing a case needs to do is appeal to your sense of decor and fiscal responsibility. Those are strictly up to you lol.
  17. no one said the mobo rotation hurts functionality but it may not be for everyone. its up to someone's personal taste.
  18. The case that cools modern GPUs the best is the Silverstone FT02/RV02 with the new AP181 fans. No case outperforms the Silverstone FT02/RV02 with air cooling.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811163154&Tpk=rv02
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811163161&cm_re=ft02-_-11-163-161-_-Product

    Silverstone build quality is some of the best, only surpassed by Lian Li. The cable management in these cases is quite good, and they are actually really easy to build in.

    I purchased a Silver FT02, because its a beautiful case and it's cooling is amazing. I can tell you that I haven't been disappointed with anything about this case.

    Here is a review of the special addition FT02:
    http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cases/2010/08/12/silverstone-ft02r-w-review/1

    Note that it actually comes with the new AP181 fans (demo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8m8fC809TK0 ). The RV02 now comes with these fans too, and will perform exactly the same. Note that with hotter running cards, like the GTX 480, the FT02 really shines. In that review it was very close to the HAF-X, however I've seen people get a 10c drop in temperatures switching from a HAF-X to an FT02 with GTX 480s.
  19. AMW1011 said:
    The case that cools modern GPUs the best is the Silverstone FT02/RV02 with the new AP181 fans. No case outperforms the Silverstone FT02/RV02 with air cooling.

    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811163154&Tpk=rv02
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811163161&cm_re=ft02-_-11-163-161-_-Product

    Silverstone build quality is some of the best, only surpassed by Lian Li. The cable management in these cases is quite good, and they are actually really easy to build in.

    I purchased a Silver FT02, because its a beautiful case and it's cooling is amazing. I can tell you that I haven't been disappointed with anything about this case.

    Here is a review of the special addition FT02:
    http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cases/2010/08/12/silverstone-ft02r-w-review/1

    Note that it actually comes with the new AP181 fans (demo: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8m8fC809TK0 ). The RV02 now comes with these fans too, and will perform exactly the same. Note that with hotter running cards, like the GTX 480, the FT02 really shines. In that review it was very close to the HAF-X, however I've seen people get a 10c drop in temperatures switching from a HAF-X to an FT02 with GTX 480s.


    The AP series are really very good. Unfortunately the blades overlap on the AP121, which kills a lot of airflow, but thats not the case with these 181's. All in all, i still favor the CM 690 II with added fans, but you cant go wrong with a FT02 either.
  20. AMW1011 said:
    HAF-X, however I've seen people get a 10c drop in temperatures switching from a HAF-X to an FT02 with GTX 480s.


    while i agree silverstone makes great cases, that line is hard to take seriously. the HAF-X has a 230mm front, 140mm rear, 200mm side, and 2x 200mm top.
  21. ct1615 said:
    while i agree silverstone makes great cases, that line is hard to take seriously. the HAF-X has a 230mm front, 140mm rear, 200mm side, and 2x 200mm top.


    Like i said, more isnt always better. You also have to realize, that was a video card temp comparison, the 90 degree cases are optimized for external exhaust video card cooling. Several massive fans on the bottom, blow air up the video card, everything thermodynamically rises and goes out the top. 10 degrees wouldnt surprise me at all, however the CPU shouldnt see too much cooler temps.
  22. ares1214 said:
    Like i said, more isnt always better. You also have to realize, that was a video card temp comparison, the 90 degree cases are optimized for external exhaust video card cooling. Several massive fans on the bottom, blow air up the video card, everything thermodynamically rises and goes out the top. 10 degrees wouldnt surprise me at all, however the CPU shouldnt see too much cooler temps.


    ^ This.
  23. ares1214 said:
    Like i said, more isnt always better. You also have to realize, that was a video card temp comparison, the 90 degree cases are optimized for external exhaust video card cooling. Several massive fans on the bottom, blow air up the video card, everything thermodynamically rises and goes out the top. 10 degrees wouldnt surprise me at all, however the CPU shouldnt see too much cooler temps.



    yeah I understand that but I still want to see an actual 3rd party test rather then some one blowing their own trumpet after an upgrade. 10c from the HAF-X is a lot.
  24. ct1615 said:
    yeah I understand that but I still want to see an actual 3rd party test rather then some one blowing their own trumpet after an upgrade. 10c from the HAF-X is a lot.


    Not REALLY, its using the same old conventional cooling system, put 5 400mm fans in therefore and it wouldnt change things up much. What id want to see is with a non-rear exhaust GPU, as well as a CM 692 with more fans.
  25. here's a review of the raven (once again the quality of the case is not in question) and they use an ATI 5870 as the GPU card. Finding a benchmark with the GTX480 in SLI will probably be difficult. you see the difference in GPU temps with all the various cases. 10c is a lot, all the cases are within 10c of each other, with the HAF-X leading the way. obviously the GTX480 is a hotter card and in SLI the heat goes up even further. my point is 10c is a lot and without a benchmark to prove it, its hard to take. you can believe it ares and that is your prerogative, I just don't until I see a benchmark or hear from someone who knows their stuff.

    http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cases/2010/09/09/silverstone-raven-rv02-review/2
  26. ct1615 said:
    here's a review of the raven (once again the quality of the case is not in question) and they use an ATI 5870 as the GPU card. Finding a benchmark with the GTX480 in SLI will probably be difficult. you see the difference in GPU temps with all the various cases. 10c is a lot, all the cases are within 10c of each other, with the HAF-X leading the way. obviously the GTX480 is a hotter card and in SLI the heat goes up even further. my point is 10c is a lot and without a benchmark to prove it, its hard to take. you can believe it ares and that is your prerogative, I just don't until I see a benchmark or hear from someone who knows their stuff.

    http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cases/2010/09/09/silverstone-raven-rv02-review/2


    I understand, but the 480 is a hot card, so the difference could be a lot more.
  27. ares1214 said:
    I understand, but the 480 is a hot card, so the difference could be a lot more.


    i agree and said that
  28. ct1615 said:
    here's a review of the raven (once again the quality of the case is not in question) and they use an ATI 5870 as the GPU card. Finding a benchmark with the GTX480 in SLI will probably be difficult. you see the difference in GPU temps with all the various cases. 10c is a lot, all the cases are within 10c of each other, with the HAF-X leading the way. obviously the GTX480 is a hotter card and in SLI the heat goes up even further. my point is 10c is a lot and without a benchmark to prove it, its hard to take. you can believe it ares and that is your prerogative, I just don't until I see a benchmark or hear from someone who knows their stuff.

    http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/cases/2010/09/09/silverstone-raven-rv02-review/2


    Refer to the review I posted for how an RV02 NOW would perform. That one was an older model, with the old FM181 fans. All new FT02s and RV02s come with the AP181 fans which perform a lot better. An example:
    http://www.overclock.net/air-cooling/768340-silverstone-ap181-fan-reivew.html





    Note that the test was done with a 5870, I would expect a GTX 470/480 to see an even larger decrease.

    Also as for the 10c comment, I meant that I have seen people claim it. However, there is no doubt in my mind that the FT02/RV02 with AP181 fans outperform a HAF X with Fermis, or multiple GPUs, I've simple seen and heard it too much. That said, I'm not saying the different will be huge. Another thing to keep in mind is that the FT02/RV02 are much quieter than a HAF X, which really makes them a homerun.
  29. AMW1011 said:
    Refer to the review I posted for how an RV02 NOW would perform. That one was an older model, with the old FM181 fans. All new FT02s and RV02s come with the AP181 fans which perform a lot better. An example:
    http://www.overclock.net/air-cooling/768340-silverstone-ap181-fan-reivew.html

    http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c19/FaRKle0079/Comp%20Stuff/GPU_I.jpg

    http://i24.photobucket.com/albums/c19/FaRKle0079/Comp%20Stuff/GPU_L.jpg

    Also as for the 10c comment, I meant that I have seen people claim it. However, there is no doubt in my mind that the FT02/RV02 with AP181 fans outperform a HAF X with Fermis, or multiple GPUs, I've simple seen and heard it too much. That said, I'm not saying the different will be huge. Another thing to keep in mind is that the FT02/RV02 are much quieter than a HAF X, which really makes them a homerun.


    Well most of the FT's cost $180-220, and therefore i wouldnt say a homerun. I still say CM 692+maybe $40 worth of fans is the best buy. The nice thing about it is that you can configure them 20 different ways, and find the ways best for your needs. Either way, you can get a CM 692, $40 worth of fans and a H-50 and still cost the same as a HAF X with stock cooling for everything. Now thats what i call value! :lol:
  30. I think I'm sticking with the Dual GTX 480s. Thanks for all the input on cases. I would go for a cooler running GPU, but I'm the kind of guy that likes to max all settings on a game, including the AA. So, even though it might be power hungry, hot, and noisy, the GTX 480 still seems to be my best bet. If the 6900 is released by mid December (when I plan on building), then I'll give it a look.

    Also, I see that an i7 950 can be bought for about the same price as a i7 860 (Gotta love intel -.-). The only problem I would need different motherboard, and all the ones for the i7 950 with SLI are EXTREMELY expensive. Oh well. Can't win them all.
  31. Best answer
    Cymerian said:
    I think I'm sticking with the Dual GTX 480s. Thanks for all the input on cases. I would go for a cooler running GPU, but I'm the kind of guy that likes to max all settings on a game, including the AA. So, even though it might be power hungry, hot, and noisy, the GTX 480 still seems to be my best bet. If the 6900 is released by mid December (when I plan on building), then I'll give it a look.


    The 6970 should be launched by mid-november. You might even be able to catch the GTX 580 if you wait that long.
  32. Best answer selected by Cymerian.
  33. ares1214 said:
    Well most of the FT's cost $180-220, and therefore i wouldnt say a homerun. I still say CM 692+maybe $40 worth of fans is the best buy. The nice thing about it is that you can configure them 20 different ways, and find the ways best for your needs. Either way, you can get a CM 692, $40 worth of fans and a H-50 and still cost the same as a HAF X with stock cooling for everything. Now thats what i call value! :lol:


    That's why you have the identically performing Silverstone RV02 for $150-$160. :D

    http://www.amazon.com/SILVERSTONE-RV02B-W-Steel-Tower-Computer/dp/B002M78KZG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1288589477&sr=8-1

    Free shipping, my best friend. :bounce:
  34. This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Gtx Water Cooling Cases Components Product