dandandawildman

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2010
I have an HP pavilion zd7000 notebook and would like to upgrade the cpu and harddrive. Also, it runs very hot. My motherboard is by quanta, model 30ca, version 36.35. my question is: what is the fastest cpu with the lowest power requirements that I can upgrade to?

flyin15sec

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
Unlikely that you can remove that CPU and replace it. Most notebooks are built with specific CPUs and as a consumer that is what you will have to live with.

If you are adventurous enough, there should be online information on how to remove items to get to the CPU.

See this LINK

gidgiddonihah

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2009
Notebook upgrades are close to impossible. For one, they use motherboards that work only with a very FEW CPU's, two, they use the energy eficant 'cousin' CPU's that reduce the heat produced. Three, notebook heatsinks are almost impossible to upgrade, which is what you would need to do.

There are I7/I5/I3 and most of the new AMD Phenoms. They just use LESS power, which means a lower temp. It also means less power.

If the hard drive is a newer sata model, you may be able to swap it out. A SSD will make your notebook feel like it is a much faster machine. Here is an example of one such kit:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820139137