lehighace06

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2009
I currently have in place 3 x 2GB OCZ Platinum 1600 memory, with 7-7-7-24 timing. I'd like to upgrade to 12GB from 6GB. With my budget, I plan to get another 3 x 2GB triple channel kit and use 6 sticks of ram; rather than replacing my current RAM with a new 3 x 4GB triple channel kit. I have a few questions about doing so.

1) Is what I'm suggesting (mixing two brands) possible at all?

2) It seems that OCZ is no longer producing RAM, so I'm in need of a new brand. When I was shopping two years ago for my current build, Corsair, Mushkin and G.Skill were all fairly comparable to OCZ, are these still the best three brands available? Is one better than another these days, or should I rely primarily on the cheapest cost among those three options?

3) Is finding new ram that is not only 1600, but also 7-7-7-24 timings crucial? Or as long as it's 1600, will 8-8-8-24 do? Can I get 8-8-8-24 and manually slow down my current ram to match?

4) Is the added number of ram sticks in my case detrimental (increased heat, for example) to the point that I should just wait until I can afford to get a 3x 4gb kit and forget about filling all 6 slots on my mobo?

Thank you as always for your help.

TRENDING THREADS