Sign in with
Your question
Solved

GTX460 vs GTX470 for 3d rendering

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 13, 2010 12:04:38 AM

I am planning on building a computer to work with 3d rendering programs such as V-ray, octane render and arion render (these two programs exploits CUDA). Would I benefit more with a GTX460 or unlockable point of view GTX465 (GTX470)? It looks like the 460 has greater core frequency and shaders but the 470 has greater processor cores at stock speeds. At stock state which would be better for me? What if both were overclocked?
a b U Graphics card
July 13, 2010 1:07:01 AM

None will benefit you much as rendering is a CPU intensive task.. If you are worried about the desktop rendering, both will perform the same.. Thus the GTX 460 will make a better choice among the two then..
m
l
July 13, 2010 1:25:55 AM

V-Ray is cpu based. Octane render is gpu based. And I believe Arion is a hybrid utilzing gpu and cpu. I also believe future rendering programs are opening up possibilities with exploiting the use gpu in future releases. That being said which would card would benefit me more?
m
l
Related resources
July 13, 2010 1:36:59 AM

Also I use Bunkspeed Shot render which also uses cpu and gpu. I'm just wondering if the performance difference is worth the extra ~$80 or so between 460 and unlockable 465
m
l
a c 153 U Graphics card
July 13, 2010 1:51:05 AM

To be honest I don't think the 80 dollars is worth it. The 460 is great for the price.
m
l

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
July 13, 2010 2:35:11 AM

You are not going to get much info as any suggestions would be biased around the gaming benchmarks.. So the 460 will always come out as the best bang for the buck video card in that manner.. Support for GPGPU architecture is still in its preliminary stages and while its making rapid progress, its still locked with both manufacturers and coders struggling to optimize the platform more to suit their needs rather than make it hardware centric.. The famous example is recent Adobe apps optimized for CUDA only which further is currently supported by Nvidia's higher priced cards and not all cards bearing CUDA cores.. So at this moment, its difficult to mention any of the cards as recommended.. However, if you know the metrics on which the GPU rendering architecture is based on, it'll help you make a decision.. For example, if high number of CUDA cores or faster memory and/or clock speeds are preferred metrics, then the GTX 470 becomes the obvious choice.. If Fermi as a platform is the significant advantage metric then the GTX 460 stands out as the best card to have..
a c 272 U Graphics card
July 13, 2010 3:18:26 AM

Emperus said:
The famous example is recent Adobe apps optimized for CUDA only which further is currently supported by Nvidia's higher priced cards and not all cards bearing CUDA cores

Cards back to at least the 8 series are designated as having CUDA cores now, so pretty much any card should do and if it doesn't then Nvidia should be called out under the trade description act or something similar.
m
l
July 13, 2010 7:26:32 PM

Best answer selected by thestickfigure.
m
l
!