How to back-up laptop before using it?

mouskydude

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2011
Hey guys,i got a new hp laptop from ebuyer recently. i have not turned it on yet,so i wanted to know is there anyway i could back up the recovery partition and the local disk partitions on to a external harddrive?

So im assuming i will have to boot from a cd or usb and use some type of software.because i dont want to start the operating system,as it will then come out of that state.

The laptop came with windows 8 and i know that all laptops,when there turned on for the first time will take you through the set-up and the installing of the O/S and all of that stuff.

So i wanted to know if there was a way to capture that state,as i have not even turned it on yet,so im assuming thats how it will start. So i want to back up the partition as it is brand new,so when i need to,i can restore it straight back to that bit of set-up on the first time use if that makes sense.

And i also was wondering how could i back up the recovery partition on the laptop also?

and how do i back up all partitions as a whole?

Thanks guys,take care,have a good day.

You can use third-party "drive imaging software" to create a backup image of an entire hard drive (all partitions, including hidden ones). However, you'll need a working Windows PC on which to create the boot CD if you don't wan't to setup Windows yet on your laptop.

The drive imaging software I recommend (the only one I use, so I can't recommend anything else) is called Active@ Disk Image: http://disk-image.com/

velosteraptor

Honorable
Jul 20, 2012
When you run them for the first time and get into windows itself, it will prompt you to make some reinstall discs, which will allow you to restore back to that point if you ever have to.

Another option is that you can contact HP and buy a recovery disk. I believe its about $20.