New build, new BIOS, SATAs not detected...

gameranew22

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2011
Hi all, I just built a brand new system and I've connected all of my wires to the MB and double-checked the SATA plugs but, I admit, I'm a complete newb at building and running a brand new computer so, when I go to my BIOS screen, I'm using an ASROCK Extreme4 p67 mobo and a 1TB Western Digital and a 64GB Crucial SSD. I'll be the first to admit that I don't know what I'm doing but know that I need to format my hardrives before I use them, how do I go about doing that and how can I get my drives to be detected?

Thanks for putting up with such a nooby question!

You format your boot drive during the Windows installation. The second drive will need to be formatted after Windows is fully installed, as you shouldn't have a second drive connected when you do the Windows install -- it can get confused and mess the install up.

I'm going to assume that your SSD and WD drives are both SATA3 6Gbps drives.

There are two white/gray SATA blocks on your board. Avoid using the top one (labeled SATA3_M1_M2) unless you absolutely have to. The Marvell SATA3 controller uses those ports, and it is much slower.

Connect your SSD to the second white/gray SATA block (labeled SATA3_0_1).
Connect your optical drive(s) to the blue SATA blocks. I prefer using them in order, so I would plug them into the blue block labeled SATA2_2_3 first.
Then install Windows.
After Windows in installed, shut down and connect the WD drive up to the second port in the white/gray SATA3_0_1 block. Boot back up and it should appear in Disk Management so you can format it.

gameranew22

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2011
yeah! Thank you so much, that's exactly the kind of answer I was looking for. I didn't know about plugging in the optical drive to the SATA 2 ports nor about plugging into the SATA M1 array either...

Okay, SAWWEEEEET! Thank you thank you thank you!

gameranew22

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2011
gahhhh, now it says "reboot and select proper boot device", I plugged my optical into the 4th slot on SATA II blue array (it was the easiest to reach) and I plugged the SSD into SATA 3_0 and left the Western Digital HDD unplugged, like you said. What should I do?

gameranew22

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2011
Got it fixed leaps, thanks again! As it turns out, the problem stemmed from me having my PSU plugged in to a shitty power strip instead of straight into the wall so I don't think I was getting enough power :/ But now it's working great!