Advice: looking for a new Creative sound blaster card

ITsonic

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2010
Very soon I'll need to get a new sound Creative sound blaster card to replace the the Audigy 2 ZS I have. so which type of Creative sound blaster card should get? Any tips?

You haven't told us why you want a sound card in the first place.

For most folks the answer to this question is "Don't bother" since onboard sound has made great strides and is more than adequate unless you have very special needs, or an old mobo with lousy onboard sound.

ITsonic

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2010

I just want to be up-to-date with the latest sound card and plus it's an old card.

To summarize, most folks don't need a sound card - onboard sound is that good.

The card I linked is Creative's newest, as you requested.

The article lists a couple of competitors that are nearly as good - perhaps you can examine them.

I'm sure Creative's web site will show what other cards they may have.

Good luck on your search.

Hey!! why are you going in for a Creative Card? I have two of them and they have lousy Vista 64bit& Win7 64Bit support.
If you want to stay up to date.... I don't think you ought to invest in them, Azunetech and Asus Xonar series would be a better way to go....

The Audigy SE might actually be a downgrade from your Audigy 2 ZS.. IMO, it is not worth considering as an upgrade.. You might as well try and get an Asus Xonar DX.. If you wish to stick to a Creative chipset then getting a card from the Auzentech brand is recommended over a Creative X-fi card (because of creative's driver problems)..

reccy

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2007
I have the Creative X-FI card and it is a slight improvement over the AC97 on-board sound.

But tbh, i wish i went with the Asus Xonar DX. Mate has one and it does sound tons better than my X-FI. Although he does have some very decent headphones which may make the difference in quality/better-ness

My recommendations (As always):

Midrange (~$79):
ASUS Xonar D1/DX
HT Omega Striker

High End (~$139+):
ASUS Xonar D2/D2X
Auzentech Prelude

Headphone Amps (~$169+):
ASUS Essence ST/STX
HT Omega Claro +/Halo
Auzentech Forte

Creatives newest entry is actually halfway decent, but due to known driver issues, I find it impossible to recommend at this junture.

ITsonic

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2010

Because i'm using Windows XP pro.