When (if!) the low profile 5770 from PowerColor becomes available I would look at adding that to be able to game with which I have budgeted £130 for.
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: By end of August
BUDGET RANGE: £500
SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Movies, TV, Music, Gaming, Surfing
PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Keyboard & Mouse, Logitech z5450 speakers, OS,Edit: Monitor
PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: ebuyer.com, scan.co.uk - wherever I can get the best deal!
COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: UK
PARTS PREFERENCES: AMD
SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Maybe
MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1366x768 to begin with!
ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I will be using the Moneual Moncaso 320s case and teaming it up with the BlackGold BGT3595, both of which are outside of the £500 budget.
I have some questions...
1) Are all of the parts compatible?
2) Is the PSU overkill? Is there a better / cheaper / more appropriatePSU?
3) If I were to swap the CPU for an AMD 415e would this have much of an effect in gaming?
4) The TV card would need to go in the PCI express X1 slot. Does it matter which PCIe slot the GPU goes in as using the first would cover the PCI express X1 slot that the TV card would need?
5) Is there a better value build I should be looking at? I went with the MSI 890GXM-G65 as it offers better scope for crossfiring in the future over something like the Gigabyte GA-880GM-UD2H.
Actually for peeps like you with an eye out for gaming i usually go with shoeboxes/cubes. They are still low profileish but can fit full sized monster GPUs - something u wouldn't want to compromise when bitten by the gaming bug I wouldn't advocate multi GPU for the most part and even less so in an SFF/HTPC build so look at the Gigabyte 880GMA-UD2H (or the Asus equivalent) : that Giga u picked out is just a 785G with refreshed IGP still on SB710 : http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
lol - These are the ones that I was going to buy if I bought everything from ebuyer.com!
I just checked out both of the RAM and and the timings on the OCZ set seem a little quicker than the Crucial once. Are the Crucial ones a better set/brand or are they both much the same? I don't see the need to spend the extra otherwise...
The PSU is overkill for a non-Crossfire build with a 5770. It's probably reasonably appropriate if you do go CrossFire, or you end up going with a bigger GPU than the 5770.
Unless the price difference between the 440 and 415e is really huge, I don't think I'd bother. .4 GHz isn't a huge number, but I think you're going to have trouble finding a decent HSF to fit in the case in order to overclock. I'd prefer to pay a little more and not worry about overclocking for a primarily HTPC-focused build.
Other than that, I think it looks like you're set.