ZeroDK

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2010
Hello, I was curious to know if the PCI-E connector gets it's 12V power from One rail, Or both 12V rails in a power supply?
I'm Asking because I've been looking to get a replacement video card and many state the 12V requirement to be 26-30 amps from the 12V rail. I've looked through google, and I have found conflicting information about this.
I have a 550 watt Antec Truepower with 19 Amps on both the 12V rails, It also has dual 6 pin PCI-e power connectors as well.

ZeroDK

Distinguished
Oct 31, 2010

Thank you. I was worried that I might blow my PSU, Or worse destroy the card. :)

shovenose

Distinguished

i gotta ruin your fun for a minute here and tell you that the antec truepower and smart power seires (including the 550w) have a design flaw, at least 90% guaranteed to fail. the psu may or may not continue working, but will deliver unstable, out-of-spec voltages or ripple and may damage other components, i suggest you get a different powr supply...

How come you didn't explain what the design flaw was ?

4745454b

Titan
I actually own an Antec SP that's still running. As long as you keep it cool enough that "design flaw" doesn't seem to happen. There is also a new model that they also named true power which is completely different then the older one.

Edit: For those that don't know, go search the term "Fuhjyyu". Don't worry, I doubt Corsair used them. (its also not a design flaw.)

Exactly

thechief73

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
I know this is going off topic but I did have a SP 2.0 500w for a little more than 3yrs(Purchased in 12/05) until a cap started to whine badly and/or fail. I never notice any odd voltage problems from PC Probe readings(no BSOD or hardware issues), but really no worries anyways as Antec sent me a brand new NeoPower 500w PSU that I am currently using.

So even if in an event you have a problem im sure it is already known to Antec and they will get it sorted out for you quickly. Befor my RMA I just ordered a EarthWatts to use while I had the other sent out, and then sold it after recieving the replacement. Really no big deal with thier good tech support and warranty.

@shovenose - I do not know if your are refering to my post or not but, if so you obviously have misinterpreted something. :??: You buy a product with a warranty the manufacture has to honor said warranty, simple as that. Has nothing to do with honesty.