Sign in with
Your question

Pc power fan

Last response: in Components
October 31, 2010 8:37:51 PM

My pc shuts down and the power supply fan is not running ? should this run all the time

More about : power fan

a c 165 ) Power supply
October 31, 2010 8:45:20 PM

i believe some enermax PSU will have their fan run for 8 - 10 seconds after a PC shut down but most units simply stop running the second the PC shut downs.
October 31, 2010 8:49:02 PM

2193273,2,329690 said:
i believe some enermax PSU will have their fan run for 8 - 10 seconds after a PC shut down but most units simply stop running the second the PC shut downs.[/quotemsg

It only runs for about 30 seconds then shuts down? wondered if this could be the problem
Related resources
a c 165 ) Power supply
October 31, 2010 8:51:55 PM

you lost me

you turn your PC on. it runs for 30 seconds and then shuts itself down?

October 31, 2010 8:52:31 PM

Cross wires here i try and switch my pc on runs for about 30 seconds then stops but the power fan is not running at all
a c 165 ) Power supply
October 31, 2010 8:55:25 PM

ah, its probably over heating since the fan is dead

what PSU do you have? whats the warranty and/or return policy on it? return it if you can. otherwise you can install a new fan or if the PSU is not that great to begin with, time to get a solid one.
October 31, 2010 8:59:00 PM

ct1615 said:
ah, its probably over heating since the fan is dead

what PSU do you have? whats the warranty and/or return policy on it? return it if you can. otherwise you can install a new fan or if the PSU is not that great to begin with, time to get a solid one.

I have no warranty on it now mostly use my laptop put was going to repair it and give it to my son not sure what psu it is
October 31, 2010 9:27:42 PM

Just to clarify,
You turn on the pc,
The power supply comes on,
The power supply fan turns off after about thirty seconds,
Does the PC stay on after the power supply fan turns off?
a c 165 ) Power supply
October 31, 2010 9:39:49 PM

shutttlebasher said:
I have no warranty on it now mostly use my laptop put was going to repair it and give it to my son not sure what psu it is

well you can get a replacement PSU at a decent cost (assuming you are in North America). was this going to be a PC for gaming or school? what are the PC specs? just a hard drive, ram, cpu, etc., or do you have a video card for gaming in it? It it in a tower case or slim line case?
November 2, 2010 9:38:19 AM

Plumble said:
Just to clarify,
You turn on the pc,
The power supply comes on,
The power supply fan turns off after about thirty seconds,
Does the PC stay on after the power supply fan turns off?

No what happens is i switch my PC on after about 30 seconds it just cuts out, i did notice the fan on the power unit did not come on? or should it come on
a b ) Power supply
November 2, 2010 3:01:04 PM

Should it come on? Well, maybe.

Many Power Supply Units have fans that simply run all the time at full speed when they are turned on. However, SOME PSU's have fans that are actually temperature-controlled, a little like a case fan. They do NOT turn on right away, but will come on after the interior of the PSU itself warms up, then will change speed as the PSU temperature changes. If your particular PSU has this fancy temperature control system it will say that in its manual.

A PSU with a failed cooling fan will overheat and probably shut itself down, just as you describe. BUT if your is the fancy temperature-controlled system, another possibility is the CPU cooling system. If that CPU fan does not come on, the time for the CPU to overheat and cause a system shut-down also will be in the 20 to 30 second range.
!