Sign in with
Your question

How to get my games running smooth?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 13, 2010 4:36:31 AM

I have just built my first power PC and am very pleased with it.

Brief specs:

Antec 900 case
corsair 650 watt psu
CPU i7 930 2.8ghz
GPU saphire 5870 Eyefinity 6 2GB
6gb OCZ platinum 1333 memory
1tb WD black caviar
Asus rampage II Extreme MOBO

All my games seem to tear, lag or not perform even near as smooth as a console would, I'm sure I have enough power but am not sure of how to get everything running well.

I have the latest drivers but still cant seem to get things running how I would like them...

All games I have played run the same even if its on high or low graphical settings.

COD4 runs weird "vibrating"
Crysis tears like hell vysnc on or off
gears of war feels like guns vibrate and most games if they don't tear they feel like they are lagging or vibrating.

Does anybody know what I am missing to get started. I'm sure its all driver issues or setting that I have not tweaked.

Thanks

I'm also having coil squeal from the gpu under loads but I have done some reading and the majority claims that issue is normal and it really doesn't bother me if I know its working correctly.

More about : games running smooth

a c 376 U Graphics card
July 13, 2010 4:40:21 AM

That sounds more like you just got a bad card than driver issues to me.
m
l
July 13, 2010 4:43:22 AM

Aww really? I was hoping that it was something more simple. I guess If I can't solve the issue than I'll take it back to the store. Its a brand new card. It appears to run fine though. It benchmarks pretty good. Hmmm?
m
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
July 13, 2010 4:48:15 AM

Try using older drivers like 10.4. I installed 10.6 today and all I got was crash, crash, crash.
m
l
July 13, 2010 5:02:51 AM

alextheawesome said:
Try using older drivers like 10.4. I installed 10.6 today and all I got was crash, crash, crash.

I'll give that a go. I also forgot to mention that I;m using an rca hdmi cable and I have a 40inch samsung 720p tv I'm going through. I had a monitor but it was doing basically the same thing. I'm picking up a lg led monitor today a hopefully I can get everything running. I really want to try everything before returning the card because the store I got it from is full of a bunch of A holes and I don't want to deal with that. so 10.4 eh? I'll report back after I hook up my new monitor and test out a couple games. Hopefully they will be enjoyable and playable with no issues so I can feel like my almost 2500 dollars was well spent :) .

Thanks for the quick input...

PS. Is DVI more recommended than HDMI? " I heard they were the same except for the HDMI has sound as well. Thats not an issue though because I have a headset and and an optical port.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 13, 2010 5:30:04 AM

Yep! i use 10.4 on my 5850 very stable.
Have you considered looking for a monitor with DisplayPort?
I got a nice 23" Dell with DP for well under $230 taxes in.
No complaints here plus free shipping and 3yr 1 dead pixel warranty hard to beat imo.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 13, 2010 5:34:56 AM

HDMI is DVI in a smaller head with audio.
m
l
July 13, 2010 5:49:34 AM

davcon said:
Yep! i use 10.4 on my 5850 very stable.
Have you considered looking for a monitor with DisplayPort?
I got a nice 23" Dell with DP for well under $230 taxes in.
No complaints here plus free shipping and 3yr 1 dead pixel warranty hard to beat imo.

I see improvement with 10.4 on COD4 but crysis is still really tearing???

I bet I'm missing a setting or something...

Should a graphics card like mine work good out of the box basically?
m
l
July 13, 2010 5:53:33 AM

Did you check the settings on the Catalyst Control Panel?

There is an option for VSync that says (Always Off) - irrespective of the game settings. Try changing this to Always On or Default On.
m
l
July 13, 2010 6:02:49 AM

2175496,9,99870 said:
Did you check the settings on the Catalyst Control Panel?

There is an option for VSync that says (Always Off) - irrespective of the game settings. Try changing this to Always On or Default On.[/quotem

I tried that, I was playing with the settings and its really not making any difference......... I hope my card is still good. It is brand new. I'm still a noob and have no idea really what to do.

10.4 is still causing me issues...

What would be the best drivers/catalyst for my GPU "ATI Sapphire radeon 5870 eyefinity 6 2GB"
m
l
July 13, 2010 6:30:45 AM

Try a different cable (rail) from the PSU to the VGA. Perhaps for some reason the PSU is not providing enough power to your card, in which case it would cause the problems you are mentioning.
m
l
July 13, 2010 6:32:45 AM

Im really new to this. Does rail mean like another cable from the psu?
m
l
July 13, 2010 6:34:54 AM

Yes. The cable itself could be faulty, so no harm on trying a different one.
m
l
July 13, 2010 6:41:04 AM

I'll report back....
m
l
July 13, 2010 6:53:52 AM

PSU only has enough plug ins for one GPU.... Hmmmm its brand new though,just like every other part..... Less than a week old...

Damn, now I dont know what to do. Could it be my monitor? I'm using a 720p tv...
m
l
July 13, 2010 7:23:04 AM

Quote:
Did u patch crysis to latest.remenber in original crysis v-sync is of by default.Insted of hdmi try connecting ur monitor through dvi.

1)Would dvi help?

2)Where would I find the crysis patch?

3)The vibration is in cod4 and gears of war more so when I aim its like my gun and body vibrate when I zoom in and pan the area.

4)I'm getting a new led monitor today. hopefully that helps too. ( Maybe my card is too powerful so the fps overlaps and causes tears and lag?
m
l
July 13, 2010 7:50:46 AM

I found the patch and enabled vsync and for the most part the tearing is gone. The issue seems to be more like their is lag now like my gpu is not good enough... I'm sure my 2gb card is just fine for all these game... Im starting to think its either a fauly power supply( or its too weak "650 watts" or GPU is faulty?... How do I determine which one is faulty???
m
l
July 13, 2010 11:21:31 AM

I know but are my specs not good enough?

even games like gears and cod4 don't run that great, like almost not even playable compared to a console. I'm using a 40" tv and hdmi.
m
l
July 13, 2010 11:54:50 AM

Congrats on your build! it's a very good set up you've got there!

The only input I can add is that you need to make sure that everything is set to default on the ATI control panel. AA and AF set as default. Not sure if its already been said but double check.

Or to revert to a previous driver. Sorry I cant be more helpful!
m
l
July 13, 2010 12:56:42 PM

I'll post back when I get my screen tonight and the dvi cable. I think that may be the issue as well. RCA HDMI is like 30 bucks and really does an okay job for my xbox...

Thanks again everybody for your quick response, any other input is greatly appreciated...
m
l
a c 376 U Graphics card
July 13, 2010 6:52:14 PM

Try turning off AA in Crysis. Assuming your resolution in 1920x1080 your card may still struggle with Crysis fully maxed but turning AA off or at least to x2 should make it fairly smooth.
m
l
July 13, 2010 7:31:46 PM

jyjjy said:
Try turning off AA in Crysis. Assuming your resolution in 1920x1080 your card may still struggle with Crysis fully maxed but turning AA off or at least to x2 should make it fairly smooth.

I new crysis was demanding but damn... A fairly new 2gb card struggles. How much does it cost to run one game?

Anyways as long as I can run every other game on high or max settings than I'll be happy.
m
l
a c 125 U Graphics card
July 13, 2010 8:05:26 PM

I have CF 5850s which are greatly overclocked, and Crysis runs pretty smooth at 1920x1080 2xAA. 4xAA I find has some issues with zooming in and such. On the other hand, Crysis Warhead runs really well at highest settings and 4xAA. Original Crysis, you have to remember, is already a few years old and not really optimized for current equipment.

The other 2 super demanding games I've played so far is Metro 2033, which I can play at Very High with DX11 Tesslation and DOF, but only AAA (analytical anti aliasing). 4xMSAA drops the FPS from ~50 to ~10 lol. Unless I turn DOF off, then 4xMSAA works fine. Not sure what the deal is there. Anyway, the other game is Cryostasis. It really puts my cards through the wringer. It also doesn't play very well on ATI cards from what I've read, and I can say that's the truth. Every so often I get some tearing even with Vsync on. It also now and then freezes on me. I thought it might be due to my OC so I fiddled around with but it still freezes occasionally. I'm pretty sure it's just the game.

Anyway, I guess my point is if it's only Crysis giving you issues I wouldn't worry too much about it. Try lowering the settings in game and see if you can get it smooth.
m
l
July 13, 2010 8:38:50 PM

wolfram23 said:
I have CF 5850s which are greatly overclocked, and Crysis runs pretty smooth at 1920x1080 2xAA. 4xAA I find has some issues with zooming in and such. On the other hand, Crysis Warhead runs really well at highest settings and 4xAA. Original Crysis, you have to remember, is already a few years old and not really optimized for current equipment.

The other 2 super demanding games I've played so far is Metro 2033, which I can play at Very High with DX11 Tesslation and DOF, but only AAA (analytical anti aliasing). 4xMSAA drops the FPS from ~50 to ~10 lol. Unless I turn DOF off, then 4xMSAA works fine. Not sure what the deal is there. Anyway, the other game is Cryostasis. It really puts my cards through the wringer. It also doesn't play very well on ATI cards from what I've read, and I can say that's the truth. Every so often I get some tearing even with Vsync on. It also now and then freezes on me. I thought it might be due to my OC so I fiddled around with but it still freezes occasionally. I'm pretty sure it's just the game.

Anyway, I guess my point is if it's only Crysis giving you issues I wouldn't worry too much about it. Try lowering the settings in game and see if you can get it smooth.

Thats the game I'm having the most issues with. I'm having smaller issues with every other game like cod4 and gears of war not running as well as the console versions. What CCC and drivers do you use with your card?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 13, 2010 11:45:08 PM

Cryostasis does not stress the GPU, it's the CPU, the game can only use 1 core and it uses PhysX.

AAA is actually better than MSAA, MSAA can only handle object aliasing, AAA is basically MSAA+Texture anti-aliasing.
m
l
July 13, 2010 11:54:18 PM

I GOT MY NEW MONITOR SETUP WITH DVI D. I can run Cod 4 good enough now, gears of war feels laggy/vibrating gun when I move and pan the area. Crysis lags on low setting even but I seem to have tearing under control. Its just the lag issue I can't seem to solve.

???
m
l
July 14, 2010 12:40:21 AM

Here is a short clip I uploaded to youtube.

Maybe somebody knows how to fix it...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pg6JF0qKOFg

Sorry the video seems a little dark....

Also is it possible that my 650 watt psu is not strong enough for my gpu? when I play crisis my gpu makes noises when it lags like for example once the game lags the gpu stops making a noise and then continues making noise and then lags again...???
m
l
July 14, 2010 1:06:45 AM

Hey are you moving the cursor or its on its own?
m
l
July 14, 2010 1:08:02 AM

mustafaayubkhan said:
Hey are you moving the cursor or its on its own?

I'm moving it. When I pan the area it does that.....
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 14, 2010 1:11:09 AM

Do you have the latest patch for GoW?
m
l
July 14, 2010 1:12:49 AM

Are you sure your copy's genuine cuz piracy causes glitches in some cases...
m
l
July 14, 2010 1:16:35 AM

sabot00 said:
Do you have the latest patch for GoW?

no....

I should try that. Although all my games have a weird vibration feel to them. That was probably a bad video for showing my issue, the thing is they are huge when I record them. 4 sec= 30mb
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 14, 2010 1:35:11 AM

Is the table dirty? Try cleaning your mouse.
m
l
July 14, 2010 1:38:40 AM

sabot00 said:
Is the table dirty? Try cleaning your mouse.

I have a garbage 5 year old dirty wireless microsoft keyboard and mouse set. I have been hating it the whole time.

I think I need to try a legit game an software to really be sure. Also should do you think a 650 psu is good enough for my card?
m
l
July 14, 2010 2:11:00 AM

Thanks everybody, I just tried dirt 2 and its working great. I'm going to take my computer in and get the software re-done...
m
l
July 14, 2010 2:19:29 AM

I don't see any problems in the game either. I think you may have been confusing the "natural" gun movement that they have implemented in the game with "vibration".
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 14, 2010 2:32:28 AM

Don't take the computer in, the most you can do is reformat and reinstall the OS, which you should try.
m
l
July 14, 2010 2:48:01 AM

sabot00 said:
Don't take the computer in, the most you can do is reformat and reinstall the OS, which you should try.

Okay, I'll do that. First I need a copy of Windows 7

Where can I buy a cheap full copy?

I also need to decide which ccc is the most compatible with my card...
m
l
July 14, 2010 3:48:24 AM

jyjjy said:
How did you install windows in the first place?
A (legal) copy of Win7 will cost you $100;
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Thanks for that link, I didn't' think you could get it for $100

I got my original copy from somewhere but I doubt its legit. I'm buying that copy right now...

Thanks again
m
l
July 14, 2010 6:38:24 AM

Quote:
There will be no difference in gaming in pirated and original version of windows.My main machine has original windows while my secondary rig has pirated windows.there is no freaking difference in them.

Both copies I have had trouble installing. I want to go true genuine anyways. Its only 100 USD....

I want to get some retail games too. less glitchy, cleaner install.

m
l
a c 376 U Graphics card
July 14, 2010 10:10:44 AM

Steam often has some very nice sales on games.
m
l
July 14, 2010 10:34:57 AM

its your GFX problem off course
it would be still in warranty
claim it get your self a new one
m
l
a c 125 U Graphics card
July 14, 2010 2:31:59 PM

Benson: I've been using the latest, 10.6.

benson733 said:
Thats the game I'm having the most issues with. I'm having smaller issues with every other game like cod4 and gears of war not running as well as the console versions. What CCC and drivers do you use with your card?

That's rather subjective. I've compared both. If I was at home I'd upload the screenshots I took, but basically here's the deal from both what I saw and what I've read - AAA is good, certainly, however where it falls short is on edges that near verticle or horizontal. Therefore things like doors tend to look completely un-antialiased. 4xMSAA on the other hand does a good job of smoothing all edges out. The downside is that it tends to smooth everything out, making the whole scene/textures appear less sharp. I noticed this very distinctly in the screens I took, in particular there's a soldier sitting very close by in the shot and you can tell the details of his clothing get slightly washed out by MSAA. I agree AAA is great and has good performance, but as I said, it doesn't do AA on some edges very well.

If you're interested, let me know and I'll try to get the images up tonight.

Oh and as for Cryostasis, I did not know it only uses 1 core. That's lame! Although 1 core should run at 4.2ghz with my OC, but I guess that's why it doesn't run really well.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 14, 2010 5:41:12 PM

Actually, in CCC AAA is called Adaptive Multi Sample Anti-Aliasing.
So in short AAA is MSAA + Texture AA.
m
l
a c 125 U Graphics card
July 14, 2010 5:54:13 PM

sabot00 said:
Actually, in CCC AAA is called Adaptive Multi Sample Anti-Aliasing.
So in short AAA is MSAA + Texture AA.

The CCC version is completely different than what Metro 2033 implements.

First, here's someone else who took comparison screens in Metro for AAA and MSAA: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=20297981&pos...
So you can see the blurry effect of MSAA but also the smoother edges (the ceiling tiles, some locker edges)

And from http://imagequalitymatters.blogspot.com/2010/03/tech-re...

Quote:
Another recent release, Metro 2033, due out this Friday, also uses a custom form of AA done specifically on the CPU, but this time on Xbox 360. It’s called AAA, Analytical Anti-Aliasing, and works by finding all the pixel edges, rendering samples of them in a higher resolution, before then downsampling those samples for use in the final 720p framebuffer. Effectively the only performance hit you get, is a slight one caused by having to render a small amount of pixels in a higher resolution, and the end result is another AA solution which allows for the same effect as using 16xMSAA. However the developers still managed to save 11MB of memory by using this technique instead of regular MSAA, which was their original choice, memory used for other visual effects taking up precious space in the framebuffer.

And if you look here you can clearly see it says "Analytical Anti Aliasing" as an option
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 14, 2010 6:07:56 PM

Ahh, I see.
m
l
July 14, 2010 7:20:30 PM

jyjjy said:
Steam often has some very nice sales on games.

I have never used steam....

Do you make an account and then direct download to your pc after you purchase the game with paypal or credit card???
m
l
!