Sign in with
Your question

Clicking noise after H/W upgrade

Last response: in Systems
August 17, 2010 4:46:20 PM

I swapped out the mobo, PSU, RAM and CPU in my system and kept the 2 DVDs, floppy and HDD.

New stuff:

GIGABYTE GA-H55M-USB3
Intel Core i3-530 Clarkdale 2.93GHz 4MB L3 Cache
G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10600)
CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS

When I started the new system, everything came up, I got into the Windows desktop, but there was a constant clicking noise in the case on the side where the DVD, FDD and HDD are. It's not the clicking of a HDD being accessed. This noise wasn't there before I replaced the above components. I unplugged the power to the DVDs and FDD and the clicking continued.

I will unplug the HDD to see if the clicking is related to it. I also plan to swap to the old PSU tonight to see if it's related to the PSU. If that doesn't help, I'll use my old mobo and see if it's related to it.

Any other suggestions or thought on what could be causing this clicking noise?

Thank you.

More about : clicking noise upgrade

a b B Homebuilt system
August 17, 2010 5:36:40 PM

Check your fans. My new CPU cooler makes a clicking noise that I first thought was my hard drive...
m
l
August 17, 2010 6:20:39 PM

jasonw223 said:
Check your fans. My new CPU cooler makes a clicking noise that I first thought was my hard drive...

That would seem a bit disconcerting. Is this noise on for you all the time or what did you do to stop it?
m
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
August 17, 2010 8:26:37 PM

It's on all the time. My cooler is a Zalman CNPS10x Extreme, and I've heard it has something to do with the PWM part of the fan... It's definitely a lot quieter now though than it was before. Maybe just some parts are now ground down a bit... who knows. Some G35 headphones were the early solution to my problem lol.
m
l
August 18, 2010 12:50:25 AM

I unplugged the 2 DVDs from the ribbon cable as well as the FDD and the clicking stopped. It turned out that it was the FDD. Just plugging the ribbon cable into it caused it to click. Apparently I didn't make all of the connections correctly. When I reviewed the connections and plugged it all in properly, the clicking went away.

Thanks for your help.
m
l
!