Can't manually set memory timings

bryanb58

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011
Hey,

My specs are in my signature. When I go in the bios on my ga-890gpa-ud3h I cannot seem to boot if I take the memory timings off auto. I'm not trying to tighten them. I am currently running corsair vengeance 1600 MHz ram at 1450 MHz based on my current oc. Even If I try to set the timings to manual and put them as the exact same as what auto sets them at (12 hour prime stable), or even run them at the spd settings which are slower timings, it will always come up with a hardware oc boot failure and either make me go back intO the bios or continue to load at stock. Anyone have any idea why this would be? Even if I wanted to try to tighten my timings I can't with how it's working atm. I'm not too sure how to remedy the problem.

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

First, ensure that you have the latest BIOS for your motherboard.

So it sounds like your overclock is causing you issues, but I'm not really seeing a problem. I think sometimes the clock for memory and CPU are tied together so when you overclock the CPU it overclocks the RAM as well.

An intelligent BIOS might prevent RAM being too overclocked. For example, instead of overclocking the RAM by 20% (when you overclock your CPU by 20%) and crashing, it drops RAM down to 1333MHz and overclocks it up from there.

I really can't tell what your deal is.

I can tell you that it's very difficult to find situations where the main memory is the bottleneck. You can fiddle around all you want but it really won't matter. Just stick with what is stable. 1450MHz is more than enough.

(FYI, if your overclocking your CPU for better gaming I can tell you that your probably wasting your time. Run the Task Manager CTRL-ALT-DEL, run a game for at least 5 minutes then observe "Performance"; you need it to be set to view ALL of the cores of your CPU. Modern CPU's have 8 threads. The first one is a physical core, the second one is its hyperthread which actually only works at up to 30% of the physical core which is why the AVERAGE CPU value is useless. It averages all 8 threads together.

Modern PC's are usually bottlenecked by the graphics card(s). If not a single core hits 100% you absolutely achieve no benefit by further overclocking, in fact you should set it back to default.

*I use Gigabyte software to auto overclock my i7-860 CPU to 3.8GHz when Transcoding videos. I set my CPU back to the default speed when I'm done.)

bryanb58

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011
Hello photonboy,

Yes I do have the latest bios. The big thing about my ram is it's 1600 MHz ram, so technically it's still underclocked. I realize that may oc may not help much with gaming, it's become more of a hobby then anything. I mean being over 12 hours prime stable at these settings it's just weird to me that I have to keep it on auto, from what ive read on the forums you always want to have them on manual.

Thanks for your input tho

eightdrunkengods

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2011
Bryan, we can't see your sig. :) Check your profile or just post your specs.

Your RAM is still technically overclocked with respect to your memory controller (which is rated to 1333 at most). However, it's still weird that you can't change settings... do you have XMP enabled in BIOS?

Running 12GB (3x4GB) or Tri-Channel RAM isn't the best solution on any Dual Channel, and is probably the root cause to your problems. If you pull 1 stick does the problem disappear. edit: BIOS try Ganged and Unganged mode.

Today I don't feel too good, so you might want to read your manual ans see if your MOBO allows 3-sticks. Also, see below, and verify even with Auto that ALL your RAM is being recognized; if the Hardware Reserved is ~4000 MB then the BIOS is turning it off.

IMO - get a Dual Channel Kit Tested for your AMD 890 e.g. G.SKILL F3-10666CL9Q-16GBRL http://gskill.com/products.php?index=233 or Corsair CML16GX3M4A1600C9B http://www2.corsair.com/configurator/product_results.aspx?id=1529911

Hardware Reserved
RM_7PRO6GB.gif

bryanb58

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011
Sorry I dont know why my sig wasn't showing, its there now. Yes all my ram is accounted for in resource monitor. It runs fine, I have no issues, other than the fact that I am not allowed to control my RAM settings. I have discussed this with you before jaquith and you advised that Running the 12 gb would be the better option than maintaining the dual channel. I haven't tried taking a stick out, I could try that I just don't see why that would be the issue here. I'll give that a go and let you know

Then your MOBO clearly can support the 3 sticks and the full 12GB.

If it's capping-out at 1450MHz it's a FSB issue. Raise the FSB from 200 -> 240 MHz and set the RAM manually. {1600/240 = 6.66} Set the Memory Multiplier -> 6.67, CAS Timings, and IF the DRAM Voltage is above 1.50 e.g. 1.65 set it also to spec.

This should fix you up, the specs below suggest the 1600(OC) as well. OC means adjusting the FSB. Now keep in mind this ALSO with OC your CPU.

edit: CPU Multiplier, and to keep Stock'ish speeds change as follows:
Stock is 2800 / 200 = 14
Close is 2800 / 240 = 11.67 or 12. 12 x 240 = 2.88GHz
IF CPU Multiplier is NOT changed 240 x 14 = 3.36GHz and you'll probably need to increase the CPU voltage above stock.

Support for DDR3 2000(OC)/1333/1066 MHz memory module

bryanb58

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011
Hey jaquith,

It's not that it's capping out at 1450, I have it set there merely because of two things, I heard that amd systems don't like memory freqs above 1333 and if I goto the next highest ram setting of 6.67 then the ram freq goes way up to 1811 MHz which seems too high for both my system and my ram (being 1600mhz rated). Thats why I have it at 5.33x272 fsb = 1450. I mean I like the setting my auto goes to, i mean I guess I could try to tighten them a little for fun and curiosity. Right now it's 8-8-8-20-1T. I am more just frustrated that I'm not in control of my system lol, manually setting the exact same settings as what auto applies and not being able to boot just seems odd to me.

You're kidding right?!

The only possible reason to run the FSB at 272 is to OC the CPU to 3.8GHz, and if your RAM can run at 1800+ Mhz without errors then let it. The 6-core is fine with RAM to 2000 MHz, newer 4-cores 1600 to 1800 MHz. As for lacking Memory Multipliers this is a Gigabyte problem and NOT your RAM.

If you're not trying to OC to 3.8GHz then Load Optimized, Memory Multiplier to 8, set the CAS and IMO Command Rate - 2T.

Bottom-line, you have NO PROBLEMS.

bryanb58

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011
Ohhhhh really???

Ok I am running my ram at 1450 which is 272x5.33. I have 2 more multipliers above this, 6.67x272= 1814 and 8x272 = 2176. Do you think I should try the 1800 Mhz? Also I am currently running at 1.5V, if I up it to the 1814 should I up the voltage too? I get so confused with RAM because there are 2 sides, the frequency and the timings, and as to which one will affect my overall performance I am unsure. I def want my 272 FSB because it is the max stable OC I can acheive for my system. I have tried higher but cannot seem to get it stable beyond the 3.8 Ghz.

I realize the system is running ok hahaha, I just really like tinkering with my system, it has become a major obsession and I just want to tweak it so that it is running in the absolute best way it possibly can.

In your prior post you should have stated your goals -- I wanna OC to 4GHz.

First, you'd need better RAM 1800 or 2000 MHz and I wouldn't have recommended anything BUT a Quad Set of ultra high performance RAM, a Phenom II X6 1090TBE, a better MOBO e.g. ASUS Crosshair IV Formula or Extreme, and a very good HSF.

Most 4GHz attempts on your 1055T end-up as a failure unless on a OC MOBO e.g. C4F or C4E, most OC are a hit or miss. No matter what voltages or settings work for one person it's rare that they will work on yours. Most vCore are 1.4x~1.5x with the goal in the lower 1.4x range plus a slew of other BIOS tweaks. This is not the OC section.

This is typical -> http://valid.canardpc.com/show_oc.php?id=1354257 note the 1450 MHz RAM.

I can try to suggest RAM settings that have a slim chance to work.

Try Memory Multiplier 6.66, and CAS 9-9-9-24 & failure -> 10-10-10-27, DRAM Voltage -> 1.6v, and DDR VTT Voltage Control increase incrementally.

This is trial by error, and there's zero guarantees that Rated 1600 MHz will run 1800 MHz especially in your environment.

bryanb58

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011
Meh no worries, Im happy with my OC overall, and I appreciate the help but as its running well now so I suppose I should just leave it alone. With my rig now I am happy with what I have acheived, next rig I build though I have a much better idea as to what I will need for a system with overclocking in mind.