Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

What more to Upgrade, Help plz

Last response: in Systems
Share
August 17, 2010 4:57:02 PM

Hey guyz, i recently bought ATI radeon HD 5770 for 200$(includin the tax) which somehow wasnt worth it cz i dont feel much of a difference like only+5FPS(i think) after upgrading from ASUS 9600GT and installed it on the following system
-Core 2 duo E7300 2.66ghz
-Kingston 4gb (2x 2 GB RAM DDR2 @667mhz)
-Intel motherboard classic series DG35EC (PCIex16 1.0)
-Cooler master PSU 600W
-WD 500GB SATA 7200rpm
-SAMSUNG 32" LCD TV @60Hz which is running at recommended 1360x768 res
-GPU ATI HD 5770 as mentioned above
I use it for GAMING only n i don't plan 2 CF right now maybe after 2,3 years depending on the games demand but not right now.
My gtaIV gives poor frame rates at high settings n little detail distance :(  other games run at average speed. Moreover i do play most recent games !
Can u tell WHATS CAUSING THE DRAWBACK n what to upgrade to ?
my max bugdet is around 400-500$ if i have to buy a new mobo , ram, processor,etc
thnkx in advance

More about : upgrade plz

a b B Homebuilt system
August 17, 2010 5:18:59 PM

Athlon X4 or Phenom II X4 or Phenom II X3, MB, (and maybe RAM depending on what MB you get).
Hard drive can make a lot of difference too, my SSD is way faster than my raid-0 setup. But that can come last. I have a raid-0 Samsung F3 500GB setup that's been performing really well. You can get 2 drives for about $100.

Ram doesn't influence performance that much, so your current ram is fine if you choose a DDR2 (AM2+) Motherboard. The processor and MB should only set you back between $180 - $300 depending on what your needs are.
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
August 17, 2010 5:30:40 PM

I'd try overclocking your processor to be honest... pick up a nice CPU cooler and up it to 3 or 3.2ghz. I used to have that processor in my gaming PC with an 8800GTS a little while back - and I could hit 3.8ghz. Honestly, I wouldn't upgrade much there unless you were going to really upgrade everything. If you were going to upgrade everything - I'd suggest going crossfire 5770s, with either an Athlon II triple / quad, or an i5 quad and a crossfire motherboard with some new DDR3...
m
0
l
Related resources
a b B Homebuilt system
August 17, 2010 5:34:12 PM

jasonw223 said:
I'd try overclocking your processor to be honest... pick up a nice CPU cooler and up it to 3 or 3.2ghz. I used to have that processor in my gaming PC with an 8800GTS a little while back - and I could hit 3.8ghz. Honestly, I wouldn't upgrade much there unless you were going to really upgrade everything. If you were going to upgrade everything - I'd suggest going crossfire 5770s, with either an Athlon II triple / quad, or an i5 quad and a crossfire motherboard with some new DDR3...


I believe on that MB, you can't overclock. That's a low end Intel MB. You can only overclock on Intel's Extreme MB.

Since CFX was brought up,
I would recommend a MB with the 890GX (8X 8X PCI-E) or FX (16X 16X PCI-E) chipset.
But if you're you want to stick to AM2+ boards, it would be 790GX or FX, which are becoming rare nowadays.
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
August 17, 2010 6:10:34 PM

Where do you come from? (Which country?)
Perhaps we can help you a bit more.
And answer this too :
Plan to XFire? (to determine your mobo, ignore the PSU at this moment, you already have one and you can replace the PSU if necessary anytime in the future)

m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
August 17, 2010 6:18:42 PM

According to THG Graphics hierarchy, the 5770 should be a reasonable upgrade from the 9600 GT.

What resolution do you game at? That's an important question for determining what graphics card to use.

However, GTA IV is one of the games that is known to work better with more cores, so if that's the game you're having the most trouble with, upgrading to a modern triple or quad-core might be worthwhile.
m
0
l
August 17, 2010 7:18:37 PM

mzaidas said:
Hey guyz, i recently bought ATI radeon HD 5770 for 200$(includin the shitty tax) which somehow wasnt worth it cz i dont feel much of a difference like only+5FPS(i think) after upgrading from ASUS 9600GT and installed it on the following system
-Core 2 duo E7300 2.66ghz
-Kingston 4gb (2x 2 GB RAM DDR2 @667mhz)
-Intel motherboard classic series DG35EC (PCIex16 1.0)
-Cooler master PSU 650W
-GPU ATI HD 5770 as mentioned above
i use it for GAMING only !
My gtaIV gives poor frame rates at high-very high settings n little detail distance :(  other games run at average speed. Moreover i do play most recent games !
Can u tell WHATS CAUSING THE DRAWBACK n what to upgrade to ?
my max bugdet is around 400-500$ if i have to buy a new mobo , ram, processor,etc
thnkx in advance


GTA IV is heavily optimised for quad core processors. I'd look to improve your CPU. However that mobo is pretty bad so I wouldn't just throw one in there and your RAM is slow. I'd consider upgrading the RAM, CPU and mobo.

These are my suggestions

RAM: G.Skill 4GB 16000Mhz - 91.99$
CPU and Mobo combo: i5 750 2.66Ghz and a Gigabyte P55A-UD4P - 359.99$ (15.00$ mail in rebate on that mobo as well.)

Total comes to 451.98$ without the rebate.

With that set up in your box with the 5770 you should be able to overclock reasonably and get close to if not max settings on GTA IV

Just to make sure though, what make and model is your PSU? And the case? Do you have any aftermarket cooling? If not and you'd like to overclock the i5 750 for more performance (which I'd recommend) get this cooler and this paste, although if you can find the mx-3 it'd be better.
m
0
l
August 17, 2010 9:00:30 PM

guanyu210379 said:
Where do you come from? (Which country?)
Perhaps we can help you a bit more.
And answer this too :
Plan to XFire? (to determine your mobo, ignore the PSU at this moment, you already have one and you can replace the PSU if necessary anytime in the future)


I dont plan to CFX right now but who knows if i have to after 2 years or so.

m
0
l
August 17, 2010 9:04:51 PM

coldsleep said:
According to THG Graphics hierarchy, the 5770 should be a reasonable upgrade from the 9600 GT.

What resolution do you game at? That's an important question for determining what graphics card to use.

However, GTA IV is one of the games that is known to work better with more cores, so if that's the game you're having the most trouble with, upgrading to a modern triple or quad-core might be worthwhile.



currently i have a SAMSUNG 32" LCD TV @60Hz running at recommended 1360x768 res.
m
0
l
August 17, 2010 11:29:24 PM

i have decided to overclock my cpu to the most(of course buying nice after market cooler) n save money for a year and then go for a complete new PC buying more recent chipsets n mobo etc
For now i have 2 choices
-Getting a future proof mobo n using it 2 overclock my core 2 duo hence i wont have 2 buy a new mobo after a year
OR
-Getting a mobo just enough 2 overclock my CORE 2Duo to the most so i can survive a year or more without any trouble
i dont think the first choice is gonna work.
Any more suggestions ? and which motherboard should i go for ? Is this a good idea ?
m
0
l
August 18, 2010 12:22:40 AM

masterasia said:
Athlon X4 or Phenom II X4 or Phenom II X3, MB, (and maybe RAM depending on what MB you get).
Hard drive can make a lot of difference too, my SSD is way faster than my raid-0 setup. But that can come last. I have a raid-0 Samsung F3 500GB setup that's been performing really well. You can get 2 drives for about $100.

Ram doesn't influence performance that much, so your current ram is fine if you choose a DDR2 (AM2+) Motherboard. The processor and MB should only set you back between $180 - $300 depending on what your needs are.


I heard that AMD processors have heating issue especially for equilateral countries/Asian countries.Is that true ? They are best for the ones who r on budget like me but is the heat problem ignorable ?
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
August 18, 2010 2:45:11 AM

As far as I know, there are no modern processors (AMD or Intel) that have "heat problems". I don't think it's anything to be concerned about.

There was a class of older Intel processors that was notorious for being hot, and there have probably been AMD generations that were hot.
m
0
l
a b B Homebuilt system
August 18, 2010 5:06:31 AM

USD300?
X3 440 Rana, 4GB DDR2 RAM, a cheap AMD7xx or 8xx FX mobo with 2 PCIe16.
Well, perhaps it will go over a bit.
m
0
l
!