Sign in with
Your question

Need help with ssd speed . plzzz

Last response: in Storage
November 18, 2012 7:19:59 PM

hello guys , i just got an ssd OCZ Agility 3 120GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

i got an i5-3570k @ 4.5 ghz w/ thermaltake 2.0 performer water cooler
msi Z77A-G41 motherboard http://msi.com/product/mb/Z77A-G41.html
Kingston HyperX Predator Series 16GB 2133mhz ram
msi twin frozr 560ti / oc video card
Hitachi GST Deskstar 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb
corsair cx600 watt psu

my mobo only got 2 sata 6.0 gb/s sata ports------- ssd sata 3 / port 1 --------hdd sata 3 / port 2
4 sata 3.0 gb/s ports---------sata 2 port 3 / dvd drive-----sata 2 port 4 / dvd drive

do i got these in wrong sata ports ? i know my ssd is not at full speed - and firmware up to date.

help me plzz

More about : ssd speed plzzz

a b G Storage
November 18, 2012 7:35:50 PM

You should have it plugged into one of the white ports. Which port have you got it connected to?
m
l
November 18, 2012 7:48:39 PM

its on sata 3 port 1
my 1tb hdd on sata 3 port 2

my dvd drives on sata 2 ports 3-4
m
l
Related resources
a c 353 G Storage
November 18, 2012 7:52:43 PM

As Tomatthe stated, SSD should be in the Intel Sata III (6) port.
Also Did you verify that the Bios was set to AHCI befor doing the install.
Down Load AS SSD and run it. Don't need to run Benchmark (will not like results). But look in uper left.
It wil Identify SSD and Fimeware.
Identify Driver. Ideally should be Intel driver, NOT pcide = "BAD"
Should also show that Partition alignment = "OK"

Alittle more on Agility III's which I have a pair of.
BACK.
To get the advertized Sequencial performance must run a benchmark that uses HIGHLY compressable data. Such as ATTO which is what the manuf use to make claims of HIGH performance.
Do not missunderstand, the Aggility III is still way beter than a HDD, it just is NOT as good as most other sata III SSDs. Myself I dub the agillity III as a SATA II SSD in a sata III Wrapper. It does NOT perform any better on sata III than it does on Sata II in eal life, nor when Benchmark uses compressed data (ie AS SSD).
Two promblems for the Agillity III - ONE, it uses the Slower Asynchronous NAND (lower cost) verse the better Synchronous or Toggle NAND. Number two, it uses the Sandforce SF22xx controller which inflates the sequencial performance. HOWEVER as consolation, Sequencial performance is the LEAST important matrix for an OS + program Drive.
m
l
a c 119 G Storage
November 18, 2012 8:05:55 PM

If the two sata3 ports are not controlled by Intel then you will get better sped by connecting the SSD to the sata2 port that is controlled by the Intel chip. Sometimes when the motherboard only has two sata3 ports they could be controlled by the Marvell chip and not by the Intel chip.
I had a motherboard that had no sata3 ports controlled by Intel and when I connected to the sata3 port (Marvell) my SSD reported slow speeds so I switched to a sata2 port controlled by Intel chip and my speeds were faster.
m
l
November 18, 2012 8:08:31 PM

http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/9459/asssdx.jpg

ssd is in sata 3 port 1 = 6.0 gb/s port ran by the intel z77 chipset
which test are still way low i had a pyro ssd same reard / write speed and scored 720 on the as ssd test
this ocz agility only scored 349 twice as slow as almost the same ssd
m
l
a c 353 G Storage
November 19, 2012 1:24:28 AM

If I remember correctly the 120 Gig Agility III should score around 450 using AS SSD.
m
l
November 22, 2012 2:21:08 AM

RetiredChief said:
As Tomatthe stated, SSD should be in the Intel Sata III (6) port.
Also Did you verify that the Bios was set to AHCI befor doing the install.
Down Load AS SSD and run it. Don't need to run Benchmark (will not like results). But look in uper left.
It wil Identify SSD and Fimeware.
Identify Driver. Ideally should be Intel driver, NOT pcide = "BAD"
Should also show that Partition alignment = "OK"

Alittle more on Agility III's which I have a pair of.
BACK.
To get the advertized Sequencial performance must run a benchmark that uses HIGHLY compressable data. Such as ATTO which is what the manuf use to make claims of HIGH performance.
Do not missunderstand, the Aggility III is still way beter than a HDD, it just is NOT as good as most other sata III SSDs. Myself I dub the agillity III as a SATA II SSD in a sata III Wrapper. It does NOT perform any better on sata III than it does on Sata II in eal life, nor when Benchmark uses compressed data (ie AS SSD).
Two promblems for the Agillity III - ONE, it uses the Slower Asynchronous NAND (lower cost) verse the better Synchronous or Toggle NAND. Number two, it uses the Sandforce SF22xx controller which inflates the sequencial performance. HOWEVER as consolation, Sequencial performance is the LEAST important matrix for an OS + program Drive.

what do you mean it inflates the sequential performance? From what I have seen with real world data and real world testing the performance is high for both sequential and random. If anything is inflated it is real performance.
m
l
a c 353 G Storage
November 22, 2012 4:40:51 PM

^ Compare the Sequential Scores for an Agility III using ATTO and AS SSD. You will find a big disparity. Manuf Use ATTO, A benchmark designed for HDDs.

ATTO uses data that is Highly compressible, while AS SSD uses data that is already compressed. ATTO is more realistic for LARGE data structures that are readily compressible. THIS IS NOT the case for an OS + Program SSD!!

What I stated, that the Agility III scores just as good on SATA II as compared with being on SATA III, has been documented in a review, and I have VERIFIED using my Agility IIIs. There IS a reason that they are cheaper than say the M4 or Samsung 830s

PS - The Agility IIIs are still a BIG improvement over a HDD, They just do not measure up to the Hype, nor SSDs that use synchronous, or toggle, NAND
m
l
!