Sign in with
Your question

New build question

Last response: in Storage
November 18, 2012 7:41:25 PM

I already asked if i change the motherboard, the processor, and the videocard do i have to reinstall windows on my computer??? Or will it automatically adapt to the new parts???? and i was told that clean reinstall would be the best

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/forum2.php?config=tom...

OR Can I just buy SSD and install windows on there so I dont lose my whole information on my Hard Drive??????

More about : build question

a c 119 G Storage
November 18, 2012 7:56:07 PM

The video card doesn't matter and the processor is not that big a deal , it's the motherboard that's the problem and part of the reason is all the chipset drivers that are installed and the OS will have those drivers and looking for the chipsets and find all new ones and combined with a new peocessor can be a problem when you go to make the switch. I just did a similar thing in changing the motherboard , cpu and video card and keeping the OS on the SSD I had. When I went to start up I got a blue screen , so I shut down and then tried again and got a littler further before another blue screen. After several blue screens and with trying again and again I finaly got into Windows where I could delete the drivers from the old setup and load new ones. It's still workinfg fine.

The best way is to get a SSD and load the OS on it and then you can take and pull your data off the old drive and then format it and put things back there for storage. That way you don't lose anything and you can arrange things the way you want. I didn't lose any data either but it was a bit more problematic.
m
l
November 18, 2012 8:06:23 PM

inzone said:
The video card doesn't matter and the processor is noy that big a deal , it's the motherboard that's the problem and part of the reason is all the chipset drivers that are installed and the OS will have those drivers and looking for the chipsets and find all new ones and combined with a new peocessor can be a problem when you go to make the switch. I just did a similar thing in changing the motherboard , cpu and video card and keeping the OS on the SSD I had. When I went to start up I got a blue screen , so I shut down and then tried again and got a littler further before another blue screen. After several blue screens and with trying again and again I finaly got into Windows where I could delete the drivers from the old setup and load new ones. It's still workinfg fine.

The best way is to get a SSD and load the OS on it and then you can take and pull your data off the old drive and then format it and put things back there for storage. That way you don't lose anything and you can arrange things the way you want. I didn't lose any data either but it was a bit more problematic.

So basically I should get SSD install windows on it and then do what???
m
l
Related resources
a c 119 G Storage
November 18, 2012 8:09:38 PM

Well you don't need two Windows installed so you would take what you want to save off the old drive and format it, then put back what you want to store and use from the pld hard drive and keep what you want on the SSD.
m
l
November 18, 2012 8:27:26 PM

inzone said:
Well you don't need two Windows installed so you would take what you want to save off the old drive and format it, then put back what you want to store and use from the pld hard drive and keep what you want on the SSD.

But is there a way to just take the windows off from the hard drive???? I want to keep everything else the same
m
l
a c 119 G Storage
November 18, 2012 8:34:30 PM

What you can do is boot the computer with the SSD connected and run a clone program like Norton Ghost or Acronis True Image. Then diconnect the old drive and boot from the SSD and if everything is ok then you can format the old drive.
m
l
November 18, 2012 8:41:13 PM

inzone said:
What you can do is boot the computer with the SSD connected and run a clone program like Norton Ghost or Acronis True Image. Then diconnect the old drive and boot from the SSD and if everything is ok then you can format the old drive.

If i format the old drive i will lose all information on it right????
m
l
a c 119 G Storage
November 18, 2012 8:55:41 PM

Yes.
m
l
a c 119 G Storage
November 18, 2012 8:57:18 PM

Quote:
My mothers neighbour is working part time and averaging $9000 a month. I'm a single mum and just got my first paycheck for $6546! I still can't believe it. I tried it out cause I got really desperate and now I couldn't be happier. Heres what I do, www.Pie21.com

What does this have to do with the storage part of the forums ? I would not click on the link it could take you to some virus infested web page.
m
l
November 18, 2012 9:22:10 PM

inzone said:
Yes.

is there a way to not lose it just delete the windows on hard drive and have windows on SSD????
m
l
a c 119 G Storage
November 18, 2012 11:08:04 PM

Here's the problem , you can't delete a Windows folder it won't let you even if you have the computer booted from the SSD you still can't delete a Windows folder. You also can't format a drive with a Windows folder on it. There are ways around it but one way is to delete the partition which then deletes everything on the drive. The other way is to make a usb stick bootable and load Linux on it and boot into the Linux OS. By having the Linux OS running you can now delete anything because Linux doesn't play by Windows rules and you can actualy delete the Windows folder.
m
l
November 18, 2012 11:30:39 PM

inzone said:
Here's the problem , you can't delete a Windows folder it won't let you even if you have the computer booted from the SSD you still can't delete a Windows folder. You also can't format a drive with a Windows folder on it. There are ways around it but one way is to delete the partition which then deletes everything on the drive. The other way is to make a usb stick bootable and load Linux on it and boot into the Linux OS. By having the Linux OS running you can now delete anything because Linux doesn't play by Windows rules and you can actualy delete the Windows folder.

its not that i really want to delete windows folder but i dont want to copy all my information i have right now on my external hard drive and then reinstall windows and then copy it back again it would take so long, i have too many programs...
m
l
a c 119 G Storage
November 18, 2012 11:42:54 PM

What you can do is boot the computer with the SSD connected and run a clone program like Norton Ghost or Acronis True Image. Then diconnect the old drive and boot from the SSD and if everything is ok then you can delete the partition on the old drive if you wanted to and move some of the stuff off the SSD so it's not too full.

m
l
November 19, 2012 12:11:29 AM

inzone said:
What you can do is boot the computer with the SSD connected and run a clone program like Norton Ghost or Acronis True Image. Then diconnect the old drive and boot from the SSD and if everything is ok then you can delete the partition on the old drive if you wanted to and move some of the stuff off the SSD so it's not too full.

Ok ill try when i get my SSD
m
l
a c 119 G Storage
November 19, 2012 3:23:49 AM

Sounds like a plan then.
m
l
November 19, 2012 6:12:40 PM

inzone said:
Sounds like a plan then.

thanks