Linux UT Server Questions

I'm not sure how visited this group is still but here goes:

I'm running a dedicated server for my clan. Hardware is as follows:
PR440FXMB
Dual PPro Overdrive Procs' ( PII-350 on PPro die)
756 MB EDO ECC Compaq 168 pin
HP NETRaid ( 3 channel)
Compaq 5U RAID Cage filled ( 7 drives 6 on array with 1 hot spare raid lvl
5) with UW2 10k Hotswap drives)

Red Hat 9 installed and running off the array.

Here's the problems:
I tried abflakens init script .. it wont load the ucc .. loads the scripot
and keeps the script running, just not UT itself.

Network setting within ut:
Serving off of somewhat limited bandwith. It's broadband quality.
What are the best netspeed settings, net tick, etc for server under linux.
I've read a lot of docs on this and supposedly 20 really isnt 20 for the
tick rate. I tried upping it to 25 but then the bots & players seem to
vanish
or we end up with shoot through problems, even with zero ping.

Thanks in advance,

~:$$:~DreamDemon
http://serenitysnipers.fragism.com
"A peaceful death is only a headshot away..."
8 answers Last reply
More about linux server questions

    You Wish enlightened us with:
    > I tried abflakens init script .. it wont load the ucc .. loads the
    > scripot and keeps the script running, just not UT itself.

    Error messages? Logfile contents? Give us something to work with!

    MeltDown
    ! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
    !Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.

    >>You Wish enlightened us with:
    >>>
    >>>I tried abflakens init script .. it wont load the ucc .. loads the
    >>>scripot and keeps the script running, just not UT itself.

    >>"MeltDown" <meltdownUSE@YOURunrealtower.org.imagination> wrote in message
    >>Error messages? Logfile contents? Give us something to work with!
    >>
    >>MeltDown
    >>--
    >>!For all your UT99/2k3/2k4 questions visit UnrealTower's FAQ section:
    >>! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
    >>!Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.
    >

    > ~:$$:~DreamDemon wrote:
    > Thats the biggest puzzle .. When I load that script .. I dont get any
    > errors. It loads the script but fails to load ucc. The only error I get is
    > when the script cycles itself to check for the pid file that the process for
    > UT isnt there and it cycles itself again. ... see script below:

    <snip>

    Here's a copy of the editable parts of my ucc.init script - compare to
    yours:

    MYNAME=ucc.init
    MYGAME=Botpack.CTFGame
    MYMAP=CTF-Gauntlet
    MYUSERID=truff
    MYDIR=/home/truff/utserver/
    MYIP=0.0.0.0
    MYMODS="ZPPure7G.Accugib,BDBMapVote304.BDBMapVote"
    MYINI="$MYDIR/System/utserver.ini"
    MYUSER="$MYDIR/System/User.ini"
    MYLOGFILE="$MYDIR/Logs/$MYNAME.log"
    MYLOCKFILE="$MYDIR/Logs/$MYNAME.lock"

    --
    Truff
    www.truff.net

    I looked it over .. not much difference except on the call to the ini
    directory .. which for grins and giggles I decided to try .. still doesnt
    work. So .. I'm left with no option other than mangle a couple scripts into
    one ( aflakens included) and go from there. I like the routine he has to
    check for the pid and how it restarts the server on fail, however, there has
    to be a better way to do it, or I should say, have it to where it runs as a
    service ( not just the ucc but both).

    ~:$$:~DreamDemon wrote:
    > Thats the biggest puzzle .. When I load that script .. I dont get
    > any errors. It loads the script but fails to load ucc. The only
    > error I get is when the script cycles itself to check for the pid
    > file that the process for UT isnt there and it cycles itself again.
    > ... see script below:

    I'm indirectly replying to you (by editing Truff's post) because I
    couldn't read yours. You didn't attach anything, right? That's not
    allowed in here, so my ISP blocks those posts.

    Start the server without using the script. That should give you more
    information.

    MeltDown
    ! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
    !Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.
  5. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    It runs fine without the script. From the commandline I can start the
    dedicated server up with no issues.

    Here's what I ended up doing:

    Went into webmin and added it to the monitoring service that is included
    with webmin ( perl script monitor.pl) .. and have it set to check every 5
    min ( default ) ... runs fine now with no issues. Restarts on crashes as
    well.As for starting it on boot .. I have the command line running in
    rc.local for when the machine first boots .. all is good so far.

    > ~:$$:~DreamDemon wrote:
    >> Thats the biggest puzzle .. When I load that script .. I dont get
    >> any errors. It loads the script but fails to load ucc. The only
    >> error I get is when the script cycles itself to check for the pid
    >> file that the process for UT isnt there and it cycles itself again.
    >> ... see script below:
    >
    > I'm indirectly replying to you (by editing Truff's post) because I
    > couldn't read yours. You didn't attach anything, right? That's not
    > allowed in here, so my ISP blocks those posts.
    >
    > Start the server without using the script. That should give you more
    > information.
    >
    > MeltDown
    > --
    > !For all your UT99/2k3/2k4 questions visit UnrealTower's FAQ section:
    > ! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
    > !Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.
  6. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    ~:$$:~DreamDemon enlightened us with:
    > It runs fine without the script. From the commandline I can start
    > the dedicated server up with no issues.

    Ok, so someone wrote a flawed script. There isn't much we can do about
    that.

    > Went into webmin and added it to the monitoring service that is
    > included with webmin ( perl script monitor.pl) .. and have it set to
    > check every 5 min ( default ) ... runs fine now with no issues.
    > Restarts on crashes as well.

    I don't like webmin, but it sounds like you made it do something
    pleasant.

    Please, next time, think about the way you post. Many people don't
    think about this and put their reply at the top of their post, quoting
    all of the original post below it. Now take a look at this:

    > Why is top posting so hard to read?
    > > > What is one of the most annoying responses on Usenet?
    > > When they top post.
    In the English speaking world we read left to right, top to bottom.

    If people do it the other way around, things will clear up instantly:

    > > > What is one of the most annoying responses on Usenet?
    > > When they top post.
    > Why is top posting so hard to read?
    In the English speaking world we read left to right, top to bottom.

    The best response type is "in-line" posting, that is, remove all the
    quoted text that does not apply to your response, adding your comments
    in context underneath as you go.

    The distributed nature of Usenet is causing that not everyone sees all
    posts in a particular thread in the right order or or even at all. If
    you make sure you put your reply in a top-to-bottom order, people will
    be able to easily read through it from top to bottom.

    Be sure to remove all excess quoted text though. There is nothing more
    annoying than having to scroll down three pages of quoted text you
    already read, just to read a two-lined reply ;-)

    A more complete guide to posting to Usenet can be found at

    The relevant section on good posting form is here
    http://www.netmeister.org/news/learn2quote2.html#ss2.3

    MeltDown
    ! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
    !Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.
  7. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    > MeltDown enlightened us with:
    > Ok, so someone wrote a flawed script. There isn't much we can do about
    > that.

    Seems to be a lot of that going on these days. I had also found a simple
    utility for making iptables but the php was all fubard not to mention wasnt
    pulling the post data properly. Check out the new one
    http://24.140.34.219:9001 It's not perfect by any means, but is at least
    better than trying to think of all that and type it raw .. saves a few
    minutes anyway.

    > I don't like webmin, but it sounds like you made it do something
    > pleasant.

    It's useful for a couple things ;) I dont care for it much either but have
    found it useful for one or two items.

    > Please, next time, think about the way you post. Many people don't
    > think about this and put their reply at the top of their post, quoting
    > all of the original post below it. Now take a look at this:

    My apologies for that. Been a while since I had to quote for newsgroups. I
    got lazy with the phpBB2 boards. LOL

    ~:$$:~DreamDemon
    Serenity Snipers Clan
    http://serenitysnipers.fragism.com
    "A peaceful death is only a headshot away..."
  8. Archived from groups: alt.games.unreal.tournament (More info?)

    ~:$$:~DreamDemon enlightened us with:
    > Seems to be a lot of that going on these days. I had also found a simple
    > utility for making iptables but the php was all fubard not to mention wasnt
    > pulling the post data properly.

    That's why I always want to _know_ my system. So I can do those things
    myself, instead of relying on some flawed script.

    > My apologies for that. Been a while since I had to quote for
    > newsgroups. I got lazy with the phpBB2 boards. LOL

    My experience is that even web-forums are better understood when
    quoted properly ;-)

    MeltDown
    ! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
    !Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.

NAS / RAID Video Games