Ghosted new hard drive

I am running WindowsXP Pro w/ service pack 2. I bought a new hard drive and
copied the old one to it. I swapped the old one out and when I try to boot
into windows I can't get past the log in screen. It starts to load the
preferences and then just logs out. I've tried going into safe mode,
debugging, and even running fixboot and fixmbr. Nothing seems to be working
to get the new drive into windows. I was hoping that someone can help me
resolve this issue or clue me in on a work around without having to do a
clean install.
7 answers Last reply
More about ghosted hard drive

    In news:0223D19C-4075-45E2-B484-4C93D5F2277D@microsoft.com,
    Carl Pantera <CarlPantera@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:

    > I am running WindowsXP Pro w/ service pack 2. I bought a new
    > hard
    > drive and copied the old one to it.

    Exactly how did you do this copy? What software did you use?

    Please reply to the newsgroup

    > I swapped the old one out and
    > when I try to boot into windows I can't get past the log in
    > screen.
    > It starts to load the preferences and then just logs out. I've
    > tried
    > going into safe mode, debugging, and even running fixboot and
    > fixmbr.
    > Nothing seems to be working to get the new drive into windows.
    > I was
    > hoping that someone can help me resolve this issue or clue me
    > in on a
    > work around without having to do a clean install.

    Well at first I attempted to use the Maxtor software that came with the
    drive, but it failed to copy. It did do the format and fdisk portion. I made
    the drive the same as the other FAT32. When I attempted to use the Maxblast
    software to copy it never went anywhere. It actually had a warning saying
    that the copy may fail due to the source drive files may exceed the size of
    the drive. This is impossible. The old drive was a 10GB and the new one is a
    200GB. I then proceeded to use Norton Ghost 2003. All went well with the
    copy. I am thinking that Windows is stuck thinking that the 10 GB drive is
    master. Even after switching them around and the bios detects the 200 as the
    master and the 10 as the slave it still will successfully boot into windows
    but sees the 10 GB drive as master.

    "Ken Blake" wrote:

    > In news:0223D19C-4075-45E2-B484-4C93D5F2277D@microsoft.com,
    > Carl Pantera <CarlPantera@discussions.microsoft.com> typed:
    >
    > > I am running WindowsXP Pro w/ service pack 2. I bought a new
    > > hard
    > > drive and copied the old one to it.
    >

    > Exactly how did you do this copy? What software did you use?

    > Please reply to the newsgroup
    >

    > > I swapped the old one out and
    > > when I try to boot into windows I can't get past the log in
    > > screen.
    > > It starts to load the preferences and then just logs out. I've
    > > tried
    > > going into safe mode, debugging, and even running fixboot and
    > > fixmbr.
    > > Nothing seems to be working to get the new drive into windows.
    > > I was
    > > hoping that someone can help me resolve this issue or clue me
    > > in on a
    > > work around without having to do a clean install.

    The maxtor software or any disk mfg software wont copy xp, its basically
    for older windows os.To copy disk to disk,set the new as slave on same ide
    chain,format new (run,type:diskmgmt.msc),once its formatted,go to run,type:
    XCOPY C:\*.* D:\ /c/h/e/k/r Agree to all in DOS window,D: being
    slave,however
    if asigned diffrent,then use that.When DOS window closes,youre thru.

    "Carl Pantera" wrote:

    > I am running WindowsXP Pro w/ service pack 2. I bought a new hard drive and
    > copied the old one to it. I swapped the old one out and when I try to boot
    > into windows I can't get past the log in screen. It starts to load the
    > preferences and then just logs out. I've tried going into safe mode,
    > debugging, and even running fixboot and fixmbr. Nothing seems to be working
    > to get the new drive into windows. I was hoping that someone can help me
    > resolve this issue or clue me in on a work around without having to do a
    > clean install.

    Carl, try disconnecting the 10G drive and then using the Recovery Console
    do a Bootcfg /rebuild

    On Mon, 30 May 2005 23:20:01 -0700, Andrew E. wrote:

    > The maxtor software or any disk mfg software wont copy xp, its basically
    > for older windows os.

    This was true when XP was first released but no longer. Last August (2004)
    I used the (then) current version of Western Digital's Lifeguard tools to
    prepare a drive that was replacing the master XP drive (NTFS). The process
    worked perfectly.

    --
    Sharon F
    MS-MVP ~ Windows Shell/User

    The system cannot find some dlls or pagefile because of the drive letter
    change. Connect remotely and delete everything from
    HKLM\System\CCS\MountedDevices or clone the disks properly.

    More precise procedure is here

    http://support.microsoft.com/?id=223188
    How To Restore the System/Boot Drive Letter in Windows
  7. Archived from groups: microsoft.public.windowsxp.configuration_manage (More info?)

    Andrew, I know that XCopy works fine on Win9x but I tried it on WinXP
    and never could get it to boot. If you know
    how to do that let me know.
    > The maxtor software or any disk mfg software wont copy xp, its basically
    > for older windows os.To copy disk to disk,set the new as slave on same ide
    > chain,format new (run,type:diskmgmt.msc),once its formatted,go to
    > run,type:
    > XCOPY C:\*.* D:\ /c/h/e/k/r Agree to all in DOS window,D: being
    > slave,however
    > if asigned diffrent,then use that.When DOS window closes,youre thru.
    >
    > "Carl Pantera" wrote:
    >
    >> I am running WindowsXP Pro w/ service pack 2. I bought a new hard drive
    >> and
    >> copied the old one to it. I swapped the old one out and when I try to
    >> boot
    >> into windows I can't get past the log in screen. It starts to load the
    >> preferences and then just logs out. I've tried going into safe mode,
    >> debugging, and even running fixboot and fixmbr. Nothing seems to be
    >> working
    >> to get the new drive into windows. I was hoping that someone can help me
    >> resolve this issue or clue me in on a work around without having to do a
    >> clean install.

Configuration Hard Drives Windows XP