Sign in with
Your question

Adding 3rd monitor to Intel HD sys?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 13, 2010 5:58:18 AM

Does anyone know how to add a 3rd monitor running on an old nvidia pci-x card while keeping the first two monitors running on the cpu integrated GPU?

I have a new Asus desktop with a core i-650, which was running a 22" and 24" lcds just fine. I wanted to add an old 19" lcd for more real estate and decided to use my old geforce 5200 pci card, but it deactivates the intel HD graphics and I'm left seeing just the laggy 19". I don't wanna buy another card. Is there a way to not have it disable the cpu graphics? Thanks.
a c 218 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
July 13, 2010 3:55:30 PM

There really isn't a way to do what you want to. You could simply buy a GPU that supports 3 or more monitors. You may be able to go into your BIOS and tell the mobo to not disable the on-board GPU (I doubt it), but you will still have the issue of conflicting GPU drivers (Nvidia and Intel). If you really want 3 monitors and minimal headaches, buy a card that supports that requirement. Good luck!
m
l
July 13, 2010 5:02:17 PM

Yeah, I didn't see anything in the bios menu that told the cpu gpu not to auto disable. So is it the fact that a card is plugged into the pci-express slot? Will the cpu gpu auto disable if I get a cheap card for a regular pci slot as well?
m
l
Related resources
a c 218 U Graphics card
a b C Monitor
July 13, 2010 6:21:21 PM

Probably. It is a matter of the system detecting the GPU and then telling the mobo to disable on-board video. The cleanest way to do what you want is to buy and install a GPU (ATI Eyefinity capable GPUs can be bought for as little as $40US or so on NewEgg) that supports the number of monitors you want to use. Also, even a lowly ATI HD5450 is going to outperform your on-board GPU in nearly all cases. Good luck!
m
l
July 13, 2010 7:02:11 PM

Darn, ok I'll check out the eyefinity cards. Thanks!
m
l
!