Viewing Dish on external drive ona PC

Hello,
I just transferred video from my Dish 922 receiver on to a WD external drive - how can I can I access those videos on my laptop?
3 answers Last reply
More about viewing dish external drive
  1. Is the external drive on the network ? If it's pluged into a desktop and not the laptop then you have to make the drive shareable or install the drive as a vetwork drive which lets all computers on the network have access to the drive and it's contents. Also each user cn have a folder on the drive that is shared and whatever you want can be dropped into that folder.
  2. Most DVR's use some type of encryption so you can't do what you are trying to do. You might find some 3rd party program to help you, but we aren't allowed to discuss that on these forums.
  3. Hi, I don't know if this thread is still live, or if anyone is still checking it, but, you can't transfer media you've recorded with a Dish Network DVR to any sort of external drive and then expect to be able to plug that same EHD in to a computer or directly in to the side of a TV or whatever and be able to watch it. Dish Network PVRs send the media content to the drive in an encrypted format, and only the Dish PVR itself can decrypt it for playback. This is to guard against video piracy.

Let me know if I misunderstood the question.
Ask a new question

Read More

Western Digital External Drive Video Storage