Added ram to my desktop = monitor not working

gooner933

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011
Hello,

I added ram to my Advent 3117 desktop (put in an extra 2 gb). When I tried to switch the pc back on, the monitor was not turning on (but the pc itself was fine. There is also a clicking sound coming from my speakers as soon as I put the power back on (even before switching the actual pc itself on). I have tried putting the old ram back in without the new one with exactly the same outcome. I was told by 'Crucial' that the ram was compatible, but I may not have grounded myself well enough when going into the pc's insides. I also had to apply A LOT of pressure when inserting the ram into their slots - the computer is 8 years old and the slots had never been used before so were quite tough to use (they nonetheless clicked in no problem and were definitely inserted properly).

Any ideas/ suggestions/ help,

Thanks very much

nevertryforme

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2011

That sound indicates that the newly installed RAM is not working.

Try removing the New RAM and check. You will find that it works.

You could choose RAMCITY -> http://www.ramcitystore.co.uk . They offers 365 days moneyback satisfaction guarantee, which no other vendor offer.

gooner933

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011
Thanks for the reply,
Unfortunately I have tried removing the new ram and the situation remains exactly the same. I have also tried using the various slots and again still the same result.

nevertryforme

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2011
Beep/Click sounds at booting means you are having problem with your RAM.

I doubt you have purchased wrong RAM which is not compatible. Return the RAM and take new one.

gooner933

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011
This new ram has f*cked my pc though! I can't even put my old ram back in (which has worked no problem for years) so why would new ram work?