yair25m

Honorable
Nov 18, 2012
Hello,

I have a WD My book which falled aside and suddenly stopped working. Since then I hearing a clicks sound every 2 second each time I try to connect it to power. I would like to know what is most probably the couse of this. Will a replacement of the head with a new (exactly the same one) should help in this case?

I will happy to know the answer
Thanks!

Solution
By dropping the drive you have probably damage the arm that the read head is attached to and the clicking sound is that arm trying to move and is somehow restricted or damaged. If you can find a place that repairs disk drives or try sending it back to the manufacturer.

ELMO_2006

Honorable
Aug 29, 2012

Hi...
I have a WD My book which falled aside and suddenly stopped working. Since then I hearing a clicks sound every 2 second each time I try to connect it to power. I would like to know what is most probably the couse of this

The HDD is damaged.
If the drive is accessible, time to perform a backup before it permanently fails.

Will a replacement of the head with a new (exactly the same one) should help in this case?
Come again?
Are you seriously thinking of replacing the internals of the drive or simply asking?
How do you know replacing the heads will solve the clicking issue. It could be related to the platters or any other internal part or a combination of other unknowns.

How old is this external drive? If less than 2 years old, simply RMA the drive or simply spend the dough on a replacement.

Either way good luck!

yair25m

Honorable
Nov 18, 2012
The drive is already not working and the recovering process is too expensive for me so I'm trying to solve it by myself.
I will happy to hear from someone who already came across this case before. What is the couse of the clicks? Should I expect the hard drive function after replaing heads?

D

Deleted member 217926

There is no such thing as replacing the heads. Not without a hard drive factory.

If the drive was dropped it is likely dead. The heads can be displaced or the actual platters themselves can shatter. I don't think you can do anything but use a data recovery service. Even then they may not be able to help you if the platters are broken.

By dropping the drive you have probably damage the arm that the read head is attached to and the clicking sound is that arm trying to move and is somehow restricted or damaged. If you can find a place that repairs disk drives or try sending it back to the manufacturer.

Solution