Sign in with
Your question

PNY help and support strange!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 13, 2010 8:39:47 AM

Hi all,

I emailed PNY the other day because my GTX 285 has been crashing in games saying display driver not working, they got back to me saying i need to update the BIOS and Chipset on my motherboard :\ first time i new this would do anything to help!

Anyways they sent me this link http://www.asus.com/product.aspx?P [...] t=overview and said update it.

I really dnt see this helping at all and i have no idea how to update my BIOS, the website even says if i do it wrong i can break my PC, why would PNY insist i do this? It seems more risky for me to even try this!

Can anyone help?

My ASUS Rampage formula says something about easy BIOS tweaking but i havent a clue how to do it, can i use a normal USB stick?

Thanks all

More about : pny support strange

a c 153 U Graphics card
July 13, 2010 9:33:57 AM

Updating your BIOS CAN be harmful yes, becuase if you lose power while you are flashing it you can ruin it.

However, I have NO idea why PNY would tell you to do that, it might help you but I don't see it in this case.

I take it you have a Rampage II, and I'm going to assume you have had the GTX 285 for a while right?
July 13, 2010 10:45:20 AM

No i have the rampage formula, so must be number one, and no lol i have only had the GTX 285 for about a month and half, i RMA my 2 year old 9800GX2 and got a GTX 285 for a replacement.

I run all games pretty much maxed at 1920x1200 except the really hardcore games and have really low temps since i vsync all my games, but sometimes it just crashes to desktop saying display driver problems.

And like you say id rather not mess around in BIOS since my PC has run fine for 2 years, PNY are trying to make me screw up i think :\ I honestly dnt see how new chipset drivers or new BIOS will help in this matter.
a b U Graphics card
July 13, 2010 3:56:36 PM

You can try clearing the bios by removing the battery for 30 seconds.
You will still have to change the values as appropriate.
My video card was turning itself off after loading Windows. Clearing the bios errors brought matters back to normal.
!