Sign in with
Your question

Step by step instructions for troubleshooting asus P6X58D Premium PC system conf

Last response: in Systems
August 17, 2010 7:28:10 PM

Hello,
I have an asus P6X58D-Premium motherboard with no BIOS and I can't seem to be able to load them. Also in the BIOS my new WD 500GHz HDD is recognized but when I boot my system it states "no HDD detected"
a b Ĉ ASUS
August 17, 2010 7:37:22 PM

Double check the terminology you are using because most of it is wrong or you are royally screwed. Referring to things by different names makes communication incredibly difficult and trouble shooting impossible so double check the names that you are calling things.

The BIOS is the basic input output system on the motherboard, its what lets you select your boot order and change very basic settings about your system, if you board doesnt have one its a brick and wont work at all. Your HDD does not have a BIOS, it might have an operating system installed on it but it better not be storing your BIOS.

I think what you meant was that your new hard drive has an operating system installed on it? If you are getting a message that says "no HDD detected" double check the cables that run to it to make sure its plugged in properly. If that does not help resolve the issues, then post again with some more details, try to be as specific as possible.
m
l
August 17, 2010 7:46:43 PM

Wrong terminology, so what I'm saying is my HDD is detected in the BIOS but not in POST. There is no operating system on that hard drive and its the only one in the system. So my questions are.

1) How do I update my BIOS and should I do that first

2) What do I need to do to load the os on to the hard drive?
m
l
Related resources
a b Ĉ ASUS
August 17, 2010 7:54:18 PM

Ohhh, that makes more sense.

Dont worry about updating your BIOS, you shouldnt update it unless you have a specific issue that a new one has a fix for.

Go into the BIOS and change the optical drive to the first item in the boot order, put the OS installation disk into the optical drive and follow the on screen instructions to install the OS, once you have installed it you will want to change the HDD to the first item in the boot order.
m
l
August 17, 2010 8:08:38 PM

I still have "no disk drive" so I believe this is because I have an expansion card for the DVD ROM that I have this problem. So here's my next question; Should I have the SATA cable for my hard drive plugged into the expansion card or the MB? Also how should I set up the BIOS in either case?
m
l
!