Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

No Display With New Mobo + GPU

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
July 13, 2010 1:07:27 PM

I recently built a new computer, plugged the graphic card into the PCI Express port, and plugged a HDMI cable into it. The system boots, but no display.

Computer Specs:

Intel i7-860 Quad Core @ 2.80 GHz
Asus P7P55-M Motherboard
4GB G.Skillz Ripjawz Memory
OCZ StealthXStream 700W Power Supply
ATI Radeon HD 5870 (1GB Memory)

More about : display mobo gpu

a c 272 U Graphics card
July 13, 2010 4:31:56 PM

Or try plugging in a DVI cable first then go into catalyst control and enable the HDMI output.
m
0
l
a c 272 U Graphics card
July 13, 2010 4:35:06 PM

Quote:
Try removing the gpu and connect ur display cable to ur mobo.If u get display then sadly gpu is faulty.i really feel sad for ppl u cannot get there system to work after spending so much.

How is that possible if the mobo does not have an onboard GPU?
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 272 U Graphics card
July 13, 2010 5:13:10 PM

Quote:
The green one is a vga connector.my dg43nb board also has it alond with a dvi port.U seem to know nothing about motherboard.how could u become a moderator of tomshardware.

The green 9 pin that is a serial port? or the non existent 15 pin that would be required for VGA?
m
0
l
a c 272 U Graphics card
July 13, 2010 5:16:14 PM

Quote:
The skyblue port is a vga connector.

Count the pins sherlock.
m
0
l
a c 153 U Graphics card
July 13, 2010 5:21:48 PM

Mousemonkey said:
The green 9 pin that is a serial port? or the non existent 15 pin that would be required for VGA?


+ It is male anyway.....

Quote:
Every modern mobo has an onboard gpu.


ASUS Rampage II does not have onboard GPU either.



EIrich said:
I recently built a new computer, plugged the graphic card into the PCI Express port, and plugged a HDMI cable into it. The system boots, but no display.

Computer Specs:

Intel i7-860 Quad Core @ 2.80 GHz
Asus P7P55-M Motherboard
4GB G.Skillz Ripjawz Memory
OCZ StealthXStream 700W Power Supply
ATI Radeon HD 5870 (1GB Memory)


Do you have another GPU you can try out??

Do you have a another computer you can try the 5870 in?
m
0
l
July 13, 2010 5:37:10 PM

I tried plugging the VGA in (using the adapter that came with the card), still no display. All the fans are running (including the GPU fan), and it boots up without a problem, but still no display =/
m
0
l
a c 153 U Graphics card
July 13, 2010 5:44:55 PM

Quote:
To mousemonkey.If that not a vga port then what is it.My mobo vga port looks just like that.Extremely sorry for my earlier comment.Plz donot mind.


It is a 9 pin serial port. In fact the port you are talking about is quite different, actually.
m
0
l
a c 153 U Graphics card
July 13, 2010 5:45:50 PM

EIrich said:
I tried plugging the VGA in (using the adapter that came with the card), still no display. All the fans are running (including the GPU fan), and it boots up without a problem, but still no display =/


Did you see my post? Just curious.

Do you have another computer to try it in?

Do you have another graphics card to try on that motherboard?

Have you tried reseating it? (I have had this problem before honestly.)

EDIT - Sorry for the double post.
m
0
l
July 13, 2010 5:52:50 PM

Helltech said:
Did you see my post? Just curious.

Do you have another computer to try it in?

Do you have another graphics card to try on that motherboard?

Have you tried reseating it? (I have had this problem before honestly.)

EDIT - Sorry for the double post.



I don't have another computer that I could try it in (only a laptop), I'm pretty sure it's not the motherboard, as I plugged the cases LEDs into the motherboard and they start up. All the fans are working properly including the GPU's, so it can't be the power supply. I tried resetting it several times including moving and moving back the mobo pins to reset the BIOS. Still no display whether its HDMI or VGA. The drives are working, turn on and function. All the buttons are working, just no display =/

I've tried it with my television and my computer monitor, both say "No Video Signal"
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
July 13, 2010 5:57:30 PM

I think its time to contact the vendor and ask for an RMA.
m
0
l
July 13, 2010 6:01:02 PM

Griffolion said:
I think its time to contact the vendor and ask for an RMA.


The store I bought it from offers a 15 day direct return, and I'm still in that period. I just want to know if there may be a solution because I'd rather not waste time riding the TTC to get back and have the same problem =/
m
0
l
a c 153 U Graphics card
July 13, 2010 6:01:53 PM

EIrich said:
I don't have another computer that I could try it in (only a laptop), I'm pretty sure it's not the motherboard, as I plugged the cases LEDs into the motherboard and they start up. All the fans are working properly including the GPU's, so it can't be the power supply. I tried resetting it several times including moving and moving back the mobo pins to reset the BIOS. Still no display whether its HDMI or VGA. The drives are working, turn on and function. All the buttons are working, just no display =/

I've tried it with my television and my computer monitor, both say "No Video Signal"


The only time I've had a problem like that, was that my PSU acutally WAS the problem. My GPU fan would spin but not very fast and I would have no input. I doubt that the case with you becuase you picked out a good PSU.

I think Griffolion might have the right idea. If you can't test it on another computer, it might be your last option.
m
0
l
July 13, 2010 6:29:59 PM

Well, I'm going to return it either today or tomorrow, will let you know if it works.
m
0
l
July 14, 2010 4:22:51 PM

Okay, it's not the video card. I brought it to them, they tried it out and there's a display. I went back and installed everything, still no display. What I noticed was there was a red light on the front of the case, and the fans on the case or the video card sped up significantly. Any idea?

m
0
l
a c 272 U Graphics card
July 14, 2010 4:37:01 PM

Check power cables (sometimes they have to be pushed in quite firmly), make sure motherboard BIOS is up to date after that I would start suspecting the motherboards PCIe slot's compatibility or the PSU's ability.
m
0
l
July 14, 2010 6:45:45 PM

The PCI-E slot is a x16, which is compatible with the graphic card, which makes me doubt it's something related to the motherboard.

After browsing on the internet, some people say the red light indicates something with the PSU, too much moisture or something similar inside the case, which they recommend taking it apart and cleaning it (will continue looking for more help before I do that because it's probably very difficult.)
m
0
l
a c 272 U Graphics card
July 14, 2010 7:02:23 PM

EIrich said:
The PCI-E slot is a x16, which is compatible with the graphic card, which makes me doubt it's something related to the motherboard.

I was referring to the PCIe spec rather than the speed because there has been issues of 1.0 slots not playing well with 2.1 cards and some have reported issues with 2.0 cards on 2.0 slots.
m
0
l
July 14, 2010 7:07:34 PM

Oh, it's a PCIe 2.0 slot, and the graphic card is for a 2.0 slot as well.
m
0
l
a c 272 U Graphics card
July 14, 2010 7:15:54 PM

EIrich said:
Oh, it's a PCIe 2.0 slot, and the graphic card is for a 2.0 slot as well.

Yes, I know. Have you tried a different PCIe 2.0 card in that slot?
m
0
l
July 14, 2010 7:27:38 PM

I don't have a second card to try in that slot unfortunately =/
m
0
l
a c 272 U Graphics card
July 14, 2010 7:30:12 PM

But you know the card works in another machine which is why I said that next suspect is a dodgy slot, are you following me now?
m
0
l
July 14, 2010 7:31:57 PM

Ah, I see what you mean. Might be the motherboard's fault.
m
0
l
a c 272 U Graphics card
July 14, 2010 7:43:59 PM

EIrich said:
Ah, I see what you mean. Might be the motherboard's fault.

If you have ruled out faulty monitors, cables, graphic card and PSU then it's all you are left with. I'm assuming that the monitor its cable and any adapters have been tested and are OK?
m
0
l
July 14, 2010 8:09:59 PM

Yep, the monitor works 100% (its actually my television that supports VGA/DVI/HDMI), I"m still suspecting the PSU, but I don't know how to check that..
m
0
l
July 14, 2010 9:18:26 PM

After doing a bit of research (name customer reviews: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/ProductReview.aspx?Item=17...), I've found out from:
Quote:
I used this power supply for exactly one year and one day and it died. It would power up my system and everything would look normal except nothing would show on my screen. This is one of the worst possible problems that could happen to a computer cause it could be anything. So it took about 2 months to diagnose because I RMAd the PSU first cause that is always the first step to diagnose this problem. Put in the new PSU and it still didnt work. Changed the RAM, Hard Drive, Mobo....nothing worked. Finally, bought another PSU and it worked. Moral of the story...DONT BUY OCZ!


Now I'm 90% sure its the PSU because I have that nasty burnt plastic smell directly out of the box....
m
0
l
July 15, 2010 5:06:30 AM

Try your ram. I had the same problem 2 days ago (7/12/10). It was one of the ram stick.
m
0
l
July 18, 2010 2:29:00 AM

Solved it, it was the PSU.

Funny thing is, when I went to return it, the guy tried to convince me that it worked by plugging the main connectors into the voltage checker. When I told him to check the PCIe connectors, he plugged those in, and blank, only one returned a charge.
m
0
l
!