No Display With New Mobo + GPU

EIrich

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2010
I recently built a new computer, plugged the graphic card into the PCI Express port, and plugged a HDMI cable into it. The system boots, but no display.

Computer Specs:

Intel i7-860 Quad Core @ 2.80 GHz
Asus P7P55-M Motherboard
4GB G.Skillz Ripjawz Memory
OCZ StealthXStream 700W Power Supply
ATI Radeon HD 5870 (1GB Memory)

Every modern mobo has an onboard gpu.
Oh really? So where's the VGA port then?
ASUS_P7P55-M_back.jpg

http://motherboards-reviews.com/ASUS/socket_1156/P7P55-M/

Helltech

Distinguished

+ It is male anyway.....

Every modern mobo has an onboard gpu.

ASUS Rampage II does not have onboard GPU either.

asus_rampage_ii_extreme_09_thumb.jpg

Do you have another GPU you can try out??

Do you have a another computer you can try the 5870 in?

EIrich

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2010
I tried plugging the VGA in (using the adapter that came with the card), still no display. All the fans are running (including the GPU fan), and it boots up without a problem, but still no display =/

Helltech

Distinguished

Did you see my post? Just curious.

Do you have another computer to try it in?

Do you have another graphics card to try on that motherboard?

Have you tried reseating it? (I have had this problem before honestly.)

EDIT - Sorry for the double post.

EIrich

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2010

I don't have another computer that I could try it in (only a laptop), I'm pretty sure it's not the motherboard, as I plugged the cases LEDs into the motherboard and they start up. All the fans are working properly including the GPU's, so it can't be the power supply. I tried resetting it several times including moving and moving back the mobo pins to reset the BIOS. Still no display whether its HDMI or VGA. The drives are working, turn on and function. All the buttons are working, just no display =/

I've tried it with my television and my computer monitor, both say "No Video Signal"

EIrich

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2010

The store I bought it from offers a 15 day direct return, and I'm still in that period. I just want to know if there may be a solution because I'd rather not waste time riding the TTC to get back and have the same problem =/

Helltech

Distinguished

The only time I've had a problem like that, was that my PSU acutally WAS the problem. My GPU fan would spin but not very fast and I would have no input. I doubt that the case with you becuase you picked out a good PSU.

I think Griffolion might have the right idea. If you can't test it on another computer, it might be your last option.

EIrich

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2010
Okay, it's not the video card. I brought it to them, they tried it out and there's a display. I went back and installed everything, still no display. What I noticed was there was a red light on the front of the case, and the fans on the case or the video card sped up significantly. Any idea?

EIrich

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2010
The PCI-E slot is a x16, which is compatible with the graphic card, which makes me doubt it's something related to the motherboard.

After browsing on the internet, some people say the red light indicates something with the PSU, too much moisture or something similar inside the case, which they recommend taking it apart and cleaning it (will continue looking for more help before I do that because it's probably very difficult.)

I was referring to the PCIe spec rather than the speed because there has been issues of 1.0 slots not playing well with 2.1 cards and some have reported issues with 2.0 cards on 2.0 slots.

TRENDING THREADS