Sign in with
Your question
Solved

What's a good upgrade from a ati 4850? $500 or less

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 13, 2010 1:41:06 PM

I have a 4850HD, as some of you know, it runs at 110* C....so before it ruins other stuff in my computer (it can melt the motherboard right?) i figured i would just upgrade the card...but i need to know, what cards are actually considerable upgrades, which are the most user friendly, and what can my computer handle....oh yeah, windows vista x64

core i7 920, 4gb ddr3...thats basically all i know about this...and don't trust taking it to best buy..as far as the motherboard, its probably a cheap one, this is a factory Dell Studio XPS i got a little over a year ago...probably 18 months or so.

my questions are

1. if the graphics card runs so hot now, will a different card run the same? or is that self contained as in, not because of the motherboard or some bad programming on my computer?

2. i've been told, if i ever wanna upgrade my graphics card, i'd have to upgrade my power supply, because its a weaker one, and its dimensions are physically small...they make all sizes right?

3. unrelated question: the 4gb of ddr 3...when i looked in it, it is two, 2 gb sticks. one of the tech guys said its triple channel ram. i have no idea what that means...all i wanna do is upgrade to like 8gb's or something....but im open to suggestions.

\my monitor is a 20" lcd dell monitor...came free with the computer @ bestbuy when i bought it. i dont know how to tell the refresh rate, but for some reason i think it was something like 5hz? that sound right? the res. i have set is 1600x900 thanks.

edit: i'd like to buy memory and a graphics card for 500 bucks or less if i can, but if not ill spend whatever is needed within reason.

edit2: oh yeah, i won't be overclocking or w/e...because i have no idea how to safely do that stuff.
a b U Graphics card
July 13, 2010 1:50:58 PM

If you could find the full specs of that Dell we would be able to help you a little more. The CPU can definitely handle an SLI of 2 x GTX 480's but the question remains, will they fit in the case and will your power supply be enough to handle a good GPU. Consider the following when you post back:

Case dimensions/size, also, might want to google to see if a 5870 or something that size can fit into the Dell.

Power Supply brand/wattage and see if you can find the amp value on the 12v rail or rails

RAM, what brand/speed/latency RAM do you have?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 13, 2010 2:48:20 PM

First of all, hot components can be the result of a couple factors: Poor airflow, poorly seated heatsinks, or extremely high ambient temps. Take off the side of the case if you can and run it that way for awhile and monitor your GPU temps (if you haven't done so already) if the temp drops dramatically, you have an airflow issue, and your case ventilation needs to be looked at. A card that is running too hot is most likely to kill itself more than any other component in the computer. That temperature is on the GPU itself, not the entire card. It shouldn't melt your slot unless it catches on fire when you aren't looking (not likely).

For i7 920, you can use triple channel ram by purchasing a 3x2gb kit.

Your refresh rate on your monitor is probably 60hz. Your monitors response rate might be at 5ms.

Assuming your case ventilation is fine and the card itself is just all used up, for 500 you could go this route:

6gb G.Skill memory: $149 with free shipping. I use the exact same memory in a 4gb kit, and it is very solid stuff.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

550w Seasonic PSU : $80 with shipping included

Sapphire 5830: 199 free shipping, 179 after MIR:

$430 shipped. Leaves you some cash to invest in some case fans if your are having a ventilation issue, as well.

Of course, there is an arguement to be made about your available resolution not needing that much video card, but if you plan on upgrading to a bigger/higher resolution monitor, you would be well prepared for it.
m
l
Related resources
July 13, 2010 3:27:49 PM

thanks guys. i don't have an airflow issue...i think anyways...edit: i tried playing with the case off...the temp of the graphics card only dropped to 107*c...not the whole cover off, jus7t the side sliding thing.

my core's are the 2nd hottest thing in the computer, while gaming, they run at upper 50's*C sometimes i've seen a core get to 64*C which sounds right....ok ill pull the cover off, and look for voltages or w/e i can find. ill reply here later, its gonna take me a little bit, thanks.
m
l
July 13, 2010 3:39:20 PM

ok, half the stuff on the side of the power supply is in chinese/japanese...what i can make out is this

delta electronics
model: dps--360fb-1a
input: 100-127v - / 10a 200-240v - / 5a 47-63hz

ouput: +12va /15a +12Vb /16a
max power:+5v/18a +5v aux/ 2a
360W
total 350w max

edit

memory:
reads like this

there are 4 of these
Samsung 1gb 16 or 18? x4 or something followed by pc3

as far as i can tell...there is only 1 slot for the graphics card....i took camera phone pics, because my wife has the phone...ill link the pics

\
http://www.flickr.com/photos/10907965@N08/?saved=1

there is a link to the pictures inside...not great quality, or close up at all...but for now thats what i got :( 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 13, 2010 3:41:55 PM

Dell Studio = Crappy airflow, simple as that.

If you want to keep a 500.00$ GPU at tolerable temps you need to get a case with some decent airflow.

I would get a GTX 460 since you have a 20" screen, anything faster will just cause a bottleneck/waste of cash. You will also need a PSU, something like a TX650 @ 99.99$ to keep you on the safe side for years to come.
m
l
July 13, 2010 3:54:09 PM

hey overclkr, can i keep most of my componets and put them into a new case? my friend is a computer tech, and builds all this cpu's, but i dont see him very often, but i can bring my stuff to him next time i see him, and he can do it....what else would i need? besides the obvious case lol
m
l
a c 125 U Graphics card
July 13, 2010 4:03:32 PM

I agree with GTX 460, except I'd get 2 for SLI. These are awesome cards for the money. And 2 of them grossely beat a single GTX 480 even at the highest resolutions. And they OC like mofos.
Don't be afraid of OCing, it's not that difficult. CPU, well you probably don't need to with that i7, but if you get a pair of 460s I would most definitely download MSI Afterburner and OC them a fair bit if I were you.

You don't necessarily need a new case, you might be able to stick a couple good fans on the current one which would help tremendously.

EDIT: Sorry I sorta skipped a bit. I'd go with something like JofaMang's suggestions just at this point, probably a GT460 over a 5830, although I hear the 5830's prices dropped as soon as the GT460 came out, since it can't compete with the new NV card.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 13, 2010 4:24:14 PM

The problem with the studio is the fact that it does not have an intake fan that was designed to blow air on the GPU, it basically blows air on the hard drives and whatever airflow is left goes onto the GPU and other components. As it will work with a stock clocked GPU, later on when you decide to overclock the case will not have sufficient airflow to keep the card at tolerable temps. You can get a nice case for under 80.00$, and recycle all your Dell parts including the board as long as its not OEM. If you have an OEM board with the standoffs in different places then you are better off keeping your current case and modding some fans just like wolf suggested.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 13, 2010 4:26:51 PM

Actually, the 5830 is neck and neck with the 460 1gb, which itself often outperforms the 465, depending on resolutions, AA/AF and tessellation. 5830 = 460 1gb. There are variations on the theme depending on the circumstance, but it appears that they are very very well matched cards. Only the crippled 460 768mb is currently available on the Egg, but it is priced directly against the 5830. Thus, the 5830 is a better value than the 1gb version, and handily outperforms the cut-down 768mb version which is matching its price.

Hardware Canucks has a pretty succinct review of the product line, how it compares to the 465, as well as the 5830/50.
http://www.hardwarecanucks.com/forum/hardware-canucks-r...
m
l
a c 125 U Graphics card
July 13, 2010 4:37:46 PM

That's not what I'm seeing. The 5830 and 460 are neck and neck only occasionally and at 1 or 0xAA. At 4xAA the 460 almost always took the lead and at times was equal to or better than a 5850, right up to 1920x1200 resolution, and even at times beat the 5850 at 2560x1600 as you can see in Far Cry 2.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 13, 2010 4:47:38 PM

And there are resolution/AA/AF sets where the 5830 pulls ahead. I'm not ready to throw the 5830 under the bus just yet, only saying that depending on personal preference and circumstance, either card can fill the role very well. Lets not forget that the 460 1gb model is not priced to match the 5830, NV has left the 768mb model to do that job.

The real area where the 460 hands down stuffs the 5830 is when overclocking. Damn that thing is a beast.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 13, 2010 4:51:16 PM

The 460 is by far superior to the 5830 IMO, especially when overclocked where it can reach 470 speeds quite easily. 24k in 06 w/ 920 @ 4Ghz, I doubt the 5830 can match that.

At stock clocks its give or take depending on situation, at OC'ed speeds the 460 smashes the 5830.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 13, 2010 4:54:52 PM

OvrClkr said:
At stock clocks its give or take depending on situation, at OC'ed speeds the 460 smashes the 5830.

Exactly my point :D 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 13, 2010 5:12:38 PM

JofaMang said:
Exactly my point :D 

I just like the fact that you get PhysX and a ridiculous OC'ing threshold for under 250.00$

if OP is going ALL stock the the 5830 would be the best choice @ 200.00$ ;) 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 13, 2010 5:21:30 PM

Yup, I was going to go for a 5830 to tide me over to 6xxx, but an OC'd 460 is looking REALLY good. I am going to have to modify my Sig, as one of my 4870s is dying (the first one I owned needs to be downclocked to maintain stability, 14 months of max OC has done its damage, hah) so I am instigating the RMA process.

I figure I will sell my 4870 and the RMA replacement, and replace with a single card for now. Going NV removes a multi-card option, but its just going to be till next spring anyhow, heh. Perhaps I will keep it for PhysX when I go all Leo.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 13, 2010 5:43:56 PM

JofaMang said:
Yup, I was going to go for a 5830 to tide me over to 6xxx, but an OC'd 460 is looking REALLY good. I am going to have to modify my Sig, as one of my 4870s is dying (the first one I owned needs to be downclocked to maintain stability, 14 months of max OC has done its damage, hah) so I am instigating the RMA process.

I figure I will sell my 4870 and the RMA replacement, and replace with a single card for now. Going NV removes a multi-card option, but its just going to be till next spring anyhow, heh. Perhaps I will keep it for PhysX when I go all Leo.

Have you spoken with Sapphire yet? I believe most RMA'ed 4870's are being replaced with 5770's that have the egg cooler since the 4870's have been phased out (EOL) and there is no stock left.

I have a buddy that RMA'ed his 4870 vapor-x and got a 5770 vapor-x :??: 

m
l
July 13, 2010 6:14:50 PM

hey! my thread was hijacked!~? lol

what about my power supply?
m
l

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
July 13, 2010 6:18:47 PM

fastcarfastbike said:
hey! my thread was hijacked!~? lol

what about my power supply?

not really :kaola:  we answered your question already :D 

As far as the PSU, well right now the only one I can recommend is the TX 650 since the price is just amazing for what you get. I posted this above as well ;) 

a b U Graphics card
July 13, 2010 6:20:24 PM

I would get a 5850, saves the driver trouble and still overclocks better than a GTX 460.
The GTX 460 gets ~825MHz max on stock voltage (22% oc)
The 5850 gets ~925MHz easily, most people go into 900-950MHz stock voltage (27% oc)
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 13, 2010 6:53:07 PM

I was able to fit a TX650 in a DELL XPS 410 so you should be fine but it is highly recommended that you upgrade that case if you want optimal airflow and space to hide the extra cables that you wont need.

m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 13, 2010 7:04:45 PM

@OP
You have been given some good PSU suggestions, the TX650 being a no-fail option. Without a doubt you will need to replace the unit you have now.

@OvrClkr
I have only spoken to Sapphire through email in regards to the RMA, but didn't ask what I was going to get in return. A 5770 would be nice, and might just CF two of them untill 6xxx comes, but really want to dip my toes in the Green pool, even if only for a few months, hah.
m
l
July 13, 2010 7:19:52 PM

Best answer selected by fastcarfastbike.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 13, 2010 7:22:53 PM

let us know the outcome once you put all the parts together...
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 13, 2010 7:45:43 PM

My suggestion here is:

New Case = Cooler Master HAF 922
PSU = TX650
Tri-channel RAM = 6gb G.Skill memory
Video card = GTX460

My only concern is that Dell makes proprietary crap and uses motherboards that do not fit into cases other than their own, i wonder if this the case with this particular Dell Studio XPS.

In the end it will cost a little more than $500.00 but it'll be well worth it.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
July 13, 2010 8:06:52 PM

It all depends on what model/upgrades he got, normally it would be a crap mobo with wacky standoff holes unless he paid the premium for a non OEM board.
m
l
!