Fermi on hot climate...

MNFGR

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010
I've been catching news that 470 and 480 catches high temps... I've been wondering what it would be like to keep the card running in a country like the Philippines; where summer temps can hit 36C on a daily basis - sometimes going higher... Any I should know about the temps?

Solution
With those temperatures you want either an Asus 5850 DirectCU or an Asus GTX 460 DirectCU (TOP)

Asus 5850 DirectCU :

asus_pic.gif

Asus 460 DirectCU :

Asus_TOP_GTX_460.jpg

the 460 will run a bit warmer but nothing to worry about, I have the 5850 model and this is the outcome @ 30c ambient :

169v_5850.png

overclocked/overvolted after an "extreme-burn-in" test with furmark

975_1300125v.png

the asus 460 is not out yet so I would wait for that if you want to save some $$

Griffolion

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
If you're wanting to get into the whole watercooling world then go for it. But even so, at this price point its hard to recommend the 470/480 anyway as the 5870/5850 do awesome jobs in games for a better price not to mention they'll be fine with their stock air coolers, at least more fine than the 470/480.

Its things like this which make me glad to live in england, fairly cold all year round!

JofaMang

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2009
The 460 has already pushed the 5830 down in price (180 to 200 on the egg atm), i don't know how long it takes for these pricing changes to reach where you are in the Philippines, but I know that even here in canada, the local retailers ignore the price wares and stick to MSRP and up.

With those temperatures you want either an Asus 5850 DirectCU or an Asus GTX 460 DirectCU (TOP)

Asus 5850 DirectCU :

asus_pic.gif

Asus 460 DirectCU :

Asus_TOP_GTX_460.jpg

the 460 will run a bit warmer but nothing to worry about, I have the 5850 model and this is the outcome @ 30c ambient :

169v_5850.png

overclocked/overvolted after an "extreme-burn-in" test with furmark

975_1300125v.png

the asus 460 is not out yet so I would wait for that if you want to save some $$

Solution
I have a single GTX 470 in my system. While doing benchmark tests (Furmark or Heaven) It will indeed reach 94/95C. This is with an ambient temperature of 72-75F (22.2-23.8C), with good in and out ventilation in my computer case. I believe the the GTX 470 begins to throttle at 105C.

Your temp of 36C is about 96.8F. So you can figure, if my ambient is 75F and the card is hitting 95C (203F), that's a 128F temp difference (20C). With your ambient being 12-13C higher than mine, you'd see some pretty risky temperatures with the stock cooling solution.

LOL Yeah, the last couple nights my wife and I have both been on our PCs. With my GTX 470 running nice and hot, I've found myself getting pretty warm just wearing a T-shirt and shorts. :) Two PCs in the room creates a little heat.

JofaMang

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2009
That reminds me of my early Everquest days as a young bachelor with a roommate who was also quite addicted to the game, and no AC. We both Multi-Boxed, so there were 5 PCs running in the living room, and no AC. Suffice to say, it took great effort to make the place presentable before bringing a female over (Febreeze wasn't invented yet!) Did I mention it was a small two bedroom apt on the 21st floor with no AC? Yeah. Disgustingly nostalgic.

LOL JofaMang, that's hilarious. Buddy of mine and I used to share a 2 bedroom apartment in Arizona (we had A/C at least) and used to pull 8 hour runs on Asheron's Call back in the day. ;) That was fun.

Recall him announcing once, "We should probably go to bed..." I asked why, he replied, "Cause the sun just came up..."

We have no A/C where I live now, but it really only gets above 80F for like a month or two during the year. And it cools into the 60's at night. :)

^^60's at night.. dam you are lucky.. last night @ 9:30PM it was still in the 90's and it dropped to 87F at midnight.

In Winter its another story, it can hit 20F outside and that is when I crack the window open and start overclocking/overvolting like crazy =)

it should cool down in about 3 months from now..

I lived in Phoenix and Tucson a long time. I remember going out at MIDNIGHT and having it 90F outside still. LOL I'm very familiar with what you're dealing with. A/C was my best friend.

In Montana it's great. Rarely hit the 100F mark here. The 90's are common at the peak of summer (which is short). But once the sun starts to fall (let alone disappears) temps begin to fall right away. It's awesome!

In the winter, it can easily hit -20F at night. I've always been tempted to find a way to stick my PC outside, and run the DVI and stuff inside to play. LOL Could OC anything at -20F I'm guessing. Just gotta keep the snow from melting into the PC and shorting it out. ;) The drawback is we often times skip Spring, and go from winter like weather into Summer. And Summer can last maybe 2 months.

If only I had a way to flow outdoor air in through my PC during the winter. Then I could OC my GTX 470.

just place the cases intakes in front of a window sucking the air from outside (this is how i do it), I guess a custom table that can reach your window would be the best way to do it. sticking the PC outside might not be the best idea because all sorts of things can happen, you don't want all that expensive hardware to go poof!! :na:

Then I could OC my GTX 470.

so you can't OC right now due to your room temp?

JofaMang

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2009
Last winter I had my 710 x3 at -4 by "guiding" the cold air towards my open side case. It was -25c outside at the time. I plan on doing some one day benching this winter using a friends garage. He has a covered and screened in workbench area attached to his garage, with a window right by the bench. The garage is insulated and heated, so may try just running the cabling through the window.