Core i7 or zeon processor for special build

zman409hp

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2010
Hello, I've been asked to build a home system for a stock trader. He runs 5 22" lcd monitors, 3 of which are receiving updates every 5 seconds from trader web sites. So the speed at which he can receive info from the web is most important also it will have to have 2 video cards for the monitors. Keeping within the budget of around $2500 should I build a core i7 980 with sli mobo or a server mobo w dual zeons. Is there a way to hook up 5 lcd's to a home server? I've only built gaming systems and am not sure what server systems can do. Thank you for helping, Dean

For web based stuff a i7 930 will be plenty and keep the costs way down. What type of monitors will he be using? If they have display port inputs you could pick up an eyefinity edition of a 5870 and run 6 monitors off of a single card, or if they are DVI or HDMI you will probably need 3 cards to run two off each or a couple active display port to DVI converters.

^+1 for the i7 930.

Since this PC will not be used for gaming, you could probably get a cheap card like a 4670/4550 with 3x display inputs each. For example: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814125250&cm_re=4550-_-14-125-250-_-Product has 1x each of HDMI,DVI, and VGA for a total of 3 displays. (You can get converters for VGA to DVI,etc if needed)

Another thing you must note is that if this PC is mission critical, you may want to go with a server class board (note that you do not need a 2P board) + ECC RAM + Xeon.

You probably also want a SSD for the OS and 2x 500GB or 2x1TB HDDs in RAID1 for data. With a $2.5k budget, this can easily be done.

coldsleep

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2009
Agree with hunter315...though I have heard that passive DisplayPort to DVI adapters have about an 80-90% success rate, so you could try going that route first for less of an investment.

It's quite possible he would be better served by spending a portion of that budget on upgrading his internet connection, if he isn't already getting business-class service.

For 3 display outputs you can only use any two out of the DVI/VGA/HDMI and one DisplayPort or atleast thats how the 5770/58xx series cards work last time i used em - cant use for example two DVI's and the HDMI it wont work in that combo