Closed

PROBLEM WITH THE LOGIN USER INTERFACE !

Hi all, My name is Zak and I have a really big problem. I have actually
customized my laptop to ask for a password whenever someone is logging on.
When I turn on my laptop (with windows XP), and the loading window comes up
which is then supposed to be follwed by the login window. However, instead of
the login window appearing, there's a blank black screen with the message:
The application or DLL
C:\WINDOWS\system32\shell32.dll is not a valid windows image. Please check
against installation diskette".
After pressing OK button another window appears stating: " The logon
User Interface DLL msgina.dll failed to load. Contact your system
administrator to replace the dll or restore the original DLL". I don't know
what to do and I can't get into the control panel and change the settings
because I just can't login or even just get passed that window. PLEASE HELP
ME!
6 answers Last reply
More about problem login user interface

    Hi,

    It looks as though you're missing, or they are corrupted, two files in your
    system folder: shell32.dll and gina.dll. gina.dll is the log-on file. I'd
    suggest first rebooting to various Mode screens--Press F-8 every second as
    computer is booting. Try Last Good Config in the list. Search then for the
    two files to see if they are even there. (Even if they are, they might be
    corrupted for some reason.) If LGC doesn't work, try F-8 again but choose
    Safe Mode, so you can access your CD in an effort to repair the files or get
    to your control panel. LCG is probably the best way to go. If you can get in
    okay, after that, you might utilize a Restore Point that is prior to your
    reconfiguring the log-ons you've tried to set up. Barring any of this
    working, boot to your BIOS and reset the boot-up options--to boot from your
    CD (If you aren't familiar with BIOS settings, be careful to make no other
    changes before saving. Once you're done with what follows, whether it works
    or not, go back into BIOS and change back that which I just suggested you
    change to--make a note of settings before changing), then try using the
    Repair Console, if you have it, though using it is largely for experts.
    Beyond that, you might have to do a reinstall. But I'd try the aforementioned
    first. I can't see why you wouldn't be able to boot to Safe Mode at the very
    least to get to your control panel, as that doesn't require log-on. Good luck.
    --
    Frank88

    "zak" wrote:

    > Hi all, My name is Zak and I have a really big problem. I have actually
    > customized my laptop to ask for a password whenever someone is logging on.
    > When I turn on my laptop (with windows XP), and the loading window comes up
    > which is then supposed to be follwed by the login window. However, instead of
    > the login window appearing, there's a blank black screen with the message:
    > The application or DLL
    > C:\WINDOWS\system32\shell32.dll is not a valid windows image. Please check
    > against installation diskette".
    > After pressing OK button another window appears stating: " The logon
    > User Interface DLL msgina.dll failed to load. Contact your system
    > administrator to replace the dll or restore the original DLL". I don't know
    > what to do and I can't get into the control panel and change the settings
    > because I just can't login or even just get passed that window. PLEASE HELP
    > ME!
  2. I had this same issue with my windows xp media center dell pc and it was such as pain I thought I should hopefully spare someone else the headache.
    The error was as follows:

    This application or DLL c:\windows\system32\shell32.dll is not a valid windows image

    Once you click ok it went to the next error message - The logon User interface DLL Msgina.dll failed to load
    This same message appears in SAFE MODE and Last known good config doesn’t clear this up.

    I searched various websites and found that there were all different types of responses and methods so I searched through several and came up with the following method:

    Use your restore disk to run the windows recovery console
    Logon to the OS
    Get to the c:\windows command line prompt
    Type the following:

    expand D:\i386\shell32.DL_ C:\windows\system32

    This copies the Shell32.DLL file from your restore disc to the windows folder.

    I then typed exit and,...bada-bing, bada-boom... I was able to login

    I found the commands to type at on this forum - http://www.softwaretipsandtricks.com/forum/windows-xp/28095-replace-system-file-shell32-dll.html
  3. mjf said:

    expand D:\i386\shell32.DL_ C:\windows\system32

    This copies the Shell32.DLL file from your restore disc to the windows folder.

    No it doesn't - it gives you an error message because your syntax was incorrect. To copy a file - particularly an expanded one - you need to specify the name the file is to have in the target directory.

    I hate to appear discouraging to a new poster but if you must crib four year old threads to show off your knowledge, you could at least try to get it right. Another reason for Msgina.dll failing is that it's been replaced by a foreign Gina - Netgear wireless is very good at doing that.

  4. well cubby, the syntax worked for me EXACTLY as i wrote it,

    and i believe I mentioned that my intention was to "hopefully spare someone else the headache" not to show off my knowledge.
  5. and you do appear discouraging
  6. This topic has been closed by Buwish

Configuration Login DLL Windows XP