Ultimate Brutal System Build

Akuze

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2010
I've been asking questions here for a few days and finally I made up my mind, what to get for my new pc. I'm not buying the graphics card right now because I'm on a tight budget and I want a not just "okay" videocard, I want a great one. I'm gonna be using this computer for watching videos, movies, surfing the web, photoshop and world of warcraft. Also, I will be playing games when I hopefully get the graphics card in a few months. Please tell me what you think about it.
Enough talk, lets see the specs:
AMD Phenom II X2 555 3.2GHz (--> I will be unleashing the other 2 disabled cores )
Corsair 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz
Asus M4A88TD-M EVO
Storm Silent 500 Watt PSU
Casecom 6630 Black Midi Tower Case (as I really don't see the point of expensive cases)
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro rev 2
2x 80cm + 1x 120cm fan.
This will cost me about £262.
Ohh, yes. The title. I know this ain't no UBSB for normal people, but for me it is as currently I have a amd athlon xp 2000+ :D

doje1999

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2009
I'm actually working on making a cpu and have also thought about trying to unlock the Phenom II x2 555. If you do photoshop work a lot and are doing multiple things at a time with it, I would recommend getting more cores. It's not a guarantee that the 2 cores will unlock and even 1 more for that matter. It's a gamble...If it doesn't work, you're stuck with just duo core which is great for gaming but if you multi task a lot and do other things, buy the additional cores.

I would go with a athlon II x4 or athlon II x3 since those chips are within the budget of the 555. I ended up getting the beast phenom II x4 965 since i got an outrageous deal on it ($120). If I hadn't got that, I was going to get the Athlon II x3 rana 3.0 which is at 76.99. You can save the extra bread and put it in the bank for a the great vid card your talking about. Look into the GTX 460 my friend. I did tons of research on unlocking that 555 chip and decided it was too much of a gamble. This is only if you will use those additional cores. I do graphics so the additional cores come in handy most definitely. I have PS, AI and ID open at the same time almost all the time. Good Luck!

Well, you seem to need to ask some more questions yet.

Let's start with the PSU. If I have never heard of a Storm Silent it's pretty likely junk. The only PSU I see that fits the description at scan.co.uk is completely generic, and they won't even show a picture of the label. I guarantee it won't do 350W. You seem to care about your money and components. Don't throw them away. read the PSU guide linked in my sig.

I really don't see the point of expensive cases
OK but the one you have selected won't fit "a great" video card. There is not enough room. And once you put that great video card into the case (if possible) you won't be able to keep it cool enough, or the little 80mm fans will whine until you go deaf or come to your senses.

I will be unleashing the other 2 disabled cores

This should read "I will try to unleash the two disabled cores and hope that they are not defective."

+1 you wouldn't want to cheap out on PSU and have it take out the rest key hardware with it when it dies @@ Well u mentioned a great GPU in a budget set up and perhaps this config might help ya out - remove OS, etc stuff u dun need ^^
Untitled-1179.jpg