What's the usual start spot to player ratio?

Todd

I've sorted the maps I've downloaded from the net by the recommended
number of players. (If I've got three players, and we want to play
ctf against bots, I go to the 6 or so player ctf maps folder.)

A lot of maps (while playing a bot match), I'll set the game for the
recommended high number, start the map, and get spawnfragged (someone
else spawns in the same space). Even against real players, you'd
think most of the players would be carryovers from the last match, and
would spawn simultaneously.

If I had the talent to make maps (and could work with Ued), I'd put in
at least as many start spots as recommended players; even more for
deathmatch. I did in the two or three (really ugly) Q2 maps I made.

So, if anyone knows, what's the typical ratio of starts to max
players?

Meltdown

Todd enlightened us with:
> If I had the talent to make maps (and could work with Ued), I'd put
> in at least as many start spots as recommended players; even more
> for deathmatch.

I'd go for at least twice the number of start points as the number of
reccomended players. Otherwise it's too trivial to predict where
players are at the start of the match. Once you know the map, you also
know the start spot with the least useful items, so you can attack the
weakest player. That's Not Good.

MeltDown
! http://www.unrealtower.org/faq
!Home of the FAQs for agut and agut2003.