Best portable platform for multimedia?

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
December 6, 2004 2:24:32 PM

I'm looking for a portable computer that will be a solid platform for
multimedia over the next few years and would appreciate any advice on
operating systems and hardware.

I would like to be able to view smooth HD video, preferably on a
built-in wide-screen ~1080 line screen but would consider driving an
external HD monitor. I don't expect to do any heavy-duty video editing
but who knows. I will be editing sound and doing live sound mixing and
equalization, if that's possible. I will be using Photoshop or
equivalent.

I'm looking at the HP Media Center zd7380us (you can go to hp.com and
search for that model number) and I'm waiting to see the zd8000 series
but I'm open to a Mac or a Linux notebook or even a luggable if any of
those makes more sense.

Considerations would be available software, now or in the near future
and the ability of the platform to work smoothly with real-time audio
and video.

Thanks,
Drew
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 6, 2004 5:28:41 PM

Drew, my suggestion to you would be: go Mac.
As you probably know it's THE professional level for music, video, and
imaging. You can buy the best editing software out there and they're
only made for Macs.
Even if you're not going pro it comes with iLife which is perfect! All
of the programs are embedded with each other so you can easily transfer
information from one to another with the click of a button.
I only use my PowerBook G4 for personal uses so far but I have played
around with iDVD and iMovie and must say their quite impressive and
easy to use.
You've probably come across the 17" PowerBook in your research but it's
an amazingly clear and big picture. Plus, my 15" (w/ Combo Drive) came
with the setup for dual display. All I needed was a monitor.
So good luck with your decision, Drew.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 7, 2004 2:34:17 AM

Drewjames101@gmail.com wrote:

> Drew, my suggestion to you would be: go Mac.
> As you probably know it's THE professional level for music, video, and
> imaging.

Nope. SGI is THE professional level for music, video, and imaging. Macs
are for those who can't afford pro equipment.

> You can buy the best editing software out there and they're
> only made for Macs.

Oh? So what's available only for Macs that's better than, say, Maya 6?

> Even if you're not going pro it comes with iLife which is perfect! All
> of the programs are embedded with each other so you can easily transfer
> information from one to another with the click of a button.
> I only use my PowerBook G4 for personal uses so far but I have played
> around with iDVD and iMovie and must say their quite impressive and
> easy to use.

I see. So you're not a pro yourself, you're just repeating the party line
without a clue as to whether it's true or not.

> You've probably come across the 17" PowerBook in your research but it's
> an amazingly clear and big picture.

You mean like a 17" Dell or IBM or Sony or any of a number of other brands?

> Plus, my 15" (w/ Combo Drive) came
> with the setup for dual display. All I needed was a monitor.

Yeah, my cheap emachines came with the setup for dual display too. Nothing
special there.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll check out the Powerbook. Where would I
find the portable SGI machine?

Thanks,
Drew
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 7, 2004 1:54:52 PM

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll check out the Powerbook. Where would I
find the portable SGI machine?

Thanks,
Drew
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 7, 2004 4:08:27 PM

> As you probably know it's THE professional level for music, video, and
> imaging.

Yes, because all profesional graphics use it? Are they, at the same time,
profesional technician and they choose they computers with full awarness?
No, not realy? Hmm....

Mac is good, but there are other good, even better solutions.

Lets don't make Mac a god.

Regards,

K.Polak
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 7, 2004 4:08:28 PM

Krystian Polak wrote:

>> As you probably know it's THE professional level for music, video, and
>> imaging.
>
> Yes, because all profesional graphics use it? Are they, at the same time,
> profesional technician and they choose they computers with full awarness?

To a Mactribesman "all professional graphics" means "a few printshops".
They totally neglect the pro video editing world, that typically runs Maya
on SGI, for example.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 7, 2004 9:09:08 PM

> To a Mactribesman "all professional graphics" means "a few printshops".
> They totally neglect the pro video editing world, that typically runs Maya
> on SGI, for example.

This is what I am saying. Mac sits usually in 'profesional' pre-press
studios, because they are not able to move to other stuff (anti-technical
guys, I know something about that, sorry, but this is in the most cases
true), so they catch Mac - easy, nice design, easy to understand, a bit more
expensive, well.... They are happy and think that Mac is the best ever ;-)

Regards,

K.Polak
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 7, 2004 9:09:09 PM

Krystian Polak wrote:

>> To a Mactribesman "all professional graphics" means "a few printshops".
>> They totally neglect the pro video editing world, that typically runs
>> Maya on SGI, for example.
>
> This is what I am saying. Mac sits usually in 'profesional' pre-press
> studios, because they are not able to move to other stuff (anti-technical
> guys, I know something about that, sorry, but this is in the most cases
> true), so they catch Mac - easy, nice design, easy to understand, a bit
> more expensive, well.... They are happy and think that Mac is the best
> ever ;-)

And my point is that prepress is a very, very tiny subset of the world of
"professional graphics".

--
!