Ram compatibility question

Daryl39

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011
Hello,
Is the Asus M4A79XTD EVO motherboard compatible with the Corsair Vengeance 4GB PC12800 DDR3 1600MHz ram?

Yes.
This motherboard is compatible with all DDR3 memory sticks. The optimal configuration is usually 2x2GB.

Ensure that your motherboard has the latest BIOS firmware update. These updates include, among other things, the proper timings for new RAM sticks. If an older BIOS does not have your RAM timings it defaults to a safer mode.

My motherboard (purchased in 2010) was unstable until I applied a BIOS update then it applied the proper timings and voltage settings for my G. Skill RAM.

Daryl39

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011

OK excellent, thank you for info sir. Much appreciated. d

Daryl39

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011
Another question in that line of thought:

I bought just one stick of the Corsair Vengeance 4GB PC12800 DDR3 1600MHz ram b/c of budget issues but plan on adding another soon. I noticed this stick was deemed 'single' channel, other 4GB sticks of same name were called 'Dual channel'...is this function the fact the other sticks came in pairs ("dual"), or are they functionallly structured to operate different from say buying 2 4GB sticks of 'single' channel memory.

please excuse the novice-ness of the question but I'm painfully new to all of this terminology...but I'm find these forums fascinating, never knew they existed. All advice greatly appreciated.