1700 Euro gaming build - opinions wanted

CautiousBuilder

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2010
Hi,

I'm building a new PC and would love some thoughts on my rough idea of the build. The budget range is quite flexible, but obviously I would prefer to spend less if certain specs are not necessary. I'd like the PC to handle games on high graphics settings and be powerful for games-programming/photoshop etc., so I'm willing to spend extra to get the best build.

Basically just looking for opinions on the chosen parts and thoughts on whether they will work well together, as well as any suggestions for different components with more bang for buck or w/e.

(Would love to shop on newegg/tigerdirect, but unfortunately we get taxed high VAT when shipping to Ireland so it probably wouldn't be worth it!)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Within the next 3 weeks.

BUDGET RANGE: €1500-2000

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming, Programming, Graphic Design

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Keyboard, Mouse, Speakers

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: elara.ie, komplett.ie

COUNTRY OF ORIGIN: Ireland

PARTS PREFERENCES: See individual parts below.

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe, but not pushing it too hard.

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Would like the option for later, but just a single graphics card for this initial build.

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1920x1200

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: Need dust filters on the case.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

CPU: Intel Quad-Core i7-930 2.8GHz €285

MOBO: ASUS P6T SE €179

Graphics
: ASUSTEK Radeon HD5850 1 GB GDDR5 SDRAM €286

RAM: Corsair DDR3 1600MHz 6GB 8-8-8-24 €170

OR

Corsair XMS3 DDR3 Tri Channel 1333MHz 12GB 9-9-9-24 €265

HDD1: Intel X25-M Mainstream SSD 80GB €219

HDD2+3: CAVIAR BLACK WD1001FALS 7200RMP 1 TB x2 in RAID 1 €188 (€94x2)

Case: Antec Twelve Hundred Tower €156

PSU: Corsair TX750W 750-Watt Power Supply €119

Monitor
: BenQ 24" G2420HD €179

ODD: Sony Optiarc DVD±RW burner AD-7260S €28

Any opinions on alternate options are welcome and I'd appreciate any help I can get :)

CautiousBuilder

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2010

Thanks for your input :)

I'll get the newer mobo, for the extra 20 euro it does seem better overall.

Also, read some reviews on the Samsung HDD, it seems like the best choice and it's cheaper so thanks for that idea!

Case-wise though, I've looked at some Cooler Master ones, and although they're excellent cases, I'm not fond of the 922's design as much as other cases. I've started looking at this case which I like the look of and has received good reviews:

LanCool Dragon Lord PC-K62 Case €97

Probably will go with the 12gb of RAM too, even though it doesn't have as good frequencies and latencies, the quantity is more suited to my needs. Just wasn't sure if 12gb was overkill!

CautiousBuilder

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2010
Also, I was wondering if anyone could tell me: will the Corsair 750W PSU be sufficient assuming I might go with Crossfire in the future with this spec?

And the one thing I'm not up to scratch with recently is cooling; will I need to buy separate cooling (fans, liquid cooling) if I don't plan any major overclocking, or does each part in the above spec have its own sufficient system?

^^ Well Yes, something like that...though that Sapphire is a good card, but I dont know if its worth the extra money...Check for any other from any other stores...

As for the PSU, the 750TX is one of the best PSUs out there...It can power even 2x HD 5870s and more...

Even if you are planning for a nominal overclock, better to get an aftermarket cooler...
CM Hyper 212+
http://komplett.ie/Komplett/product/ZKB_01COM/13_COOLERS/03_CPU/productdetails/10021605/Cooler_Master_Hyper_212_Plus_CPU_Cooler/RR_B10_212P_GP/default.aspx