Sign in with
Your question
Solved

X58/1366 or P67/1155 for gaming build?

Last response: in Motherboards
June 26, 2011 2:27:15 AM

Hello, I've done a ton of research on these 2 motherboard options and I'm still torn between the two. Hoping you guys can help me out, its clear there's a lot of knowledgeable people here. I'm a computer gaming noob.

Please note that I intend to install either 2 gtx 480 sli, or more likely a 3gb gtx 580.

So, for me it seems the heart of the matter is: does the P67 "sandy bridge" better cpu efficiency and future chipset support warrant purchase over the x58 being a proven socket, the fastest socket, 6 core cpu support, more pcie bandwith, and tri channel memory?

Would it really make any difference that there is to be no more 1366 x58 support in the near future? I'm not sure what the implications of that even mean to me exactly.

FYI these are 2 of the comps I'm considering:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/ite...

ANY opinions/help will be greatly appreciated.

Best solution

a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 136 V Motherboard
June 26, 2011 6:45:09 AM

Hello and welcome to the forums
I'd recommend P67(or Z68 if you can get it) because except for the i7 990x(which is a 6-core CPU),Sandy bridge CPUs are faster than the previous socket 1156 CPUs.
Neither PCI-E bandwidth and tri-channel memory have a great effect on performance.
Furthermore,I recommend 1 580 over 2 480s because although 2 480s are faster but they consume much more power and are notably louder,so go with 580 unless you play on resolutions higher than 1080p
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 262 V Motherboard
June 26, 2011 6:34:19 PM

Of the two, the P67 based system will be superior.

But, for a gaming sustem you can do much better by building one yourself.

The graphics card is much more important than the cpu for gaming.
The 2600K is a fine chip, but for gaming, the 2500K at $100 less will be equally good.
m
l
Related resources
June 26, 2011 8:09:03 PM

Excellent information. I am greatful for your replies.

-Maziar, why should I get a Z68 instead of a P67? Whats the difference?
-geofelt, you think I can do much better by building one myself? I'd love to hear your suggestions, care to ellaborate? I was going to possibly get this http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/ite...

and add a caviar black harddrive. Then eventually, a gtx580 3gb and a dvd/blueray.
m
l
June 27, 2011 1:33:51 AM

geofelt, thanks for the link; thats an excellent article. I'm going to base my rig heavily on the 2k rig except I plan on adding a gtx 580 when I can get together more cash (thats compatible, right?). you made a great point. why should I spend a grand on a prefab rig when I can build exactly what I want with 0 compromise. you guys have changed my build entirely. I really appreciate your posts
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 136 V Motherboard
June 27, 2011 6:49:49 AM

bebop460 said:
Excellent information. I am greatful for your replies.

-Maziar, why should I get a Z68 instead of a P67? Whats the difference?
-geofelt, you think I can do much better by building one myself? I'd love to hear your suggestions, care to ellaborate? I was going to possibly get this http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/ite...

and add a caviar black harddrive. Then eventually, a gtx580 3gb and a dvd/blueray.

It's because Z68 is newer and has some more features.(not much of a difference but still)
m
l
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 262 V Motherboard
June 27, 2011 3:53:17 PM

The Z68 has an option to use a small SSD to improve the performance of your hard drive by acting as a cache. The result is better performance than a hard drive, but not as good as a dedicated ssd.

You can also use the integrated graphics of the cpu concurrently.

Neither of these are biggies for the gamer with a discrete graphics card.

You can also OC a K.

But... considering that the price premium for a Z68 compared to a P67 is small, why not?
m
l
a c 207 Ĉ ASUS
a c 717 V Motherboard
June 27, 2011 4:30:24 PM

IF you're using a single HD monitor then go with the Sandy Bridge, but a GTX 480 SLI vs single GTX 580 the GTX 480 SLI is faster. A large amount of GPU RAM really kicks in with large resolutions. In reality a GTX 580 is plenty enough for current games on a single HD monitor; running 135 FPS or 96 won't be a problem on your 60Hz {60 FPS} monitor ;) 

Proof -> http://www.guru3d.com/article/geforce-gtx-570-sli-revie...

The only issues with GTX 480 vs GTX 580 is efficiency and in that the GTX 480 vs e.g. GTX 570 the GTX 570 will draw less power, run cooler and offer higher FPS.

edit: BTW IMO get the P67 vs Z68. The only advantages to Z68 IMO are: {joke} SSD Caching {$100 SSD + $70 HDD} makes no sense with 1/2 pure SSD speeds {repeated tasks ONLY otherwise ZIP}, get a 120GB SSD + 1TB HDD, and Quick Sync - perfect if you make a career out of making YouTube vids and don't care about the small gains vs all the problems with Virtu...
m
l
July 3, 2011 8:36:21 PM

Best answer selected by bebop460.
m
l
July 3, 2011 8:38:19 PM

thanks again everyone. im hoping to get my parts ordered today... if I can decide which lian li case. cant wait to build this thing. hopefully I dont f it up
m
l
!