XP SP2 requires Admin rights for USB Flash Drive (Mass Sto..

May 31, 2005 4:42:43 PM

I recently inherited a few labs of computers which have some difficulty
when attempting to use a USB Mass Storage Device, such as a USB Flash
Drive or a USB Hard Drive. These machines are running Windows XP Pro
SP2 joined to a domain.
When a (non-administrative) user plugs the USB drive in, Windows begins
detecting new hardware then displays "You must be a member of the
Administrators group on this computer to install this hardware" and
prompts for an administrative user/password. If I click cancel,
Windows will display that there was a problem installing the hardware
and it may not work correctly, yet the hardware seems to work fine.
I believe (though am not certain) that SP2 caused this issue. I've
looked through the security policies and haven't found anything really
related. I tried allowing all interactive users to eject and format
removable media, but that did not resolve the issue. Any
thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated, as our users commonly use
USB Flash drives.

Thank you,
Eric Kotz
newsgroups@erickotz.com
Anonymous
May 31, 2005 7:48:09 PM

Well, all I know is the problems showed up about the same time SP2 was
installed. Unfortuntely it pre-dates me.
I am the current admin, and it wasn't done intentionally by the
previous Admin. If you can give me some files/permissions to check, I
can try that.

Thanks!
Anonymous
June 1, 2005 3:33:50 AM

This is not because of SP2. Looks like somebody tampered with system provided
INF files and/or driver files.
This could be done exactly with purpose to disable non admin users
to use flash drives. Then you need to restore these files -
which requires admin permissions as well.

Regards,
--PA

<newsgroups@erickotz.com> wrote in message news:1117568563.302581.27390@g14g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
> I recently inherited a few labs of computers which have some difficulty
> when attempting to use a USB Mass Storage Device, such as a USB Flash
> Drive or a USB Hard Drive. These machines are running Windows XP Pro
> SP2 joined to a domain.
> When a (non-administrative) user plugs the USB drive in, Windows begins
> detecting new hardware then displays "You must be a member of the
> Administrators group on this computer to install this hardware" and
> prompts for an administrative user/password. If I click cancel,
> Windows will display that there was a problem installing the hardware
> and it may not work correctly, yet the hardware seems to work fine.
> I believe (though am not certain) that SP2 caused this issue. I've
> looked through the security policies and haven't found anything really
> related. I tried allowing all interactive users to eject and format
> removable media, but that did not resolve the issue. Any
> thoughts/suggestions would be appreciated, as our users commonly use
> USB Flash drives.
>
> Thank you,
> Eric Kotz
> newsgroups@erickotz.com

June 1, 2005 8:06:46 AM

When you are admin, do the drivers install automatically?

--PA

<newsgroups@erickotz.com> wrote in message news:1117579689.660847.212460@f14g2000cwb.googlegroups.com...
> Well, all I know is the problems showed up about the same time SP2 was
> installed. Unfortuntely it pre-dates me.
> I am the current admin, and it wasn't done intentionally by the
> previous Admin. If you can give me some files/permissions to check, I
> can try that.
>
> Thanks!

Anonymous
June 1, 2005 11:44:43 AM

They drivers do install automatically as an Admin, however, at the end
of the installation, the standard "Add New Hardware" dialog box comes
up and says I must restart to finish installing the hardware, with a
finish button.

Thanks,
Eric Kotz
newsgroups@erickotz.com

Pavel A. wrote:
> When you are admin, do the drivers install automatically?
>
> --PA

Anonymous
June 2, 2005 10:06:34 AM

<newsgroups@erickotz.com> wrote in message news:1117637083.816984.276020@o13g2000cwo.googlegroups.com...
> They drivers do install automatically as an Admin, however, at the end
> of the installation, the standard "Add New Hardware" dialog box comes
> up and says I must restart to finish installing the hardware, with a
> finish button.

This is strange. I would suspect some 3d party software, or antivirus.
Maybe even some malware.

--PA

!