Sign in with
Your question

Approved Memory for GA-Z68X-UD3-B3

Last response: in Motherboards
June 26, 2011 4:14:46 AM

Hi,

I've been lurking and reading lots of posts for a while around here, but haven't posted until now. Recent intermittent problems with my current 3.5 yr old computer have prompted the upgrade bug so I've spent a number of hours here and elsewhere trying to figure out what I want and the best way to get what I want.

I've ordered the GA-Z68X-UD3-B3 board. How important is it to get memory that is on the approved list? I want to get 8GB and the Gigabyte approved memory list doesn't give too many options. My first choice got sold out from under my nose so I've been looking at either G.Skills Sniper F3-12800CL9D-8GBSR or Mushkin Enhanced Blackline 996988. I was leaning towards the G.Skills until I saw a recommendation to get a lower voltage chip, hence the Mushkin. I really don't want to spend a lot more than this unless I have to. The chips that sold out before I placed the order were CAS 8 1.5V G.Skills so I was pretty disappointed to miss out on those at the same price as these options.

Will either of these be fine or are there others I should consider?

Just for kicks, here's the rest of my proposed build ... still a work in progress. Any comments/criticism/suggestions would be much appreciated:

Case: Zalman Z9 Plus
MB: GA-Z68X-UD3-B3
CPU: Intel i5-2500k ($179.99 at Micro Center)
Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212+
RAM: ? <see above>
SSD: OCZ Agility 3 60GB
Data drive: SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB
PSU: currently owned Thermaltake W0106RU 700W

And, yes, there is no video card listed. I've spent so much time trying to figure all this other stuff out, I haven't been able to wrap my head around that choice yet. Primary use will be gaming, but not outrageous gaming. I rarely play the bleeding edge stuff, so I'm having trouble deciding how much I'm willing to spend. My baseline is the Radeon 6850 or GeForce GTX 460 but trying to figure out if I can go down from there or how far up I should go. My initial budget was $1000 but I really wanted an SSD for Intel SRT (can't afford to get enough SSD space to go the boot SSD/data HD route, so thought this will be a good way to get an extra boost without spending too much). I'm currently at about $700 but also needs to cover Windows 7 with the remaining. I'm willing to go over 10-15%, but I'm trying very hard to not go over by much more than that.

Also, while I'm thinking about it, that existing PSU is about 3.5 yrs old. Am I asked for trouble keeping that to cut down the expense of the new computer. I've always had it hooked up to a UPS and it cost about $150 in 2008 so I'm hoping it's still useful. Same goes with the DVD but for $25 that's no big deal if that goes on me.

Sorry I've kind of rambled on here for what started out as a pretty simple and focused question. I appreciate your time and any comments/suggestions.

Thanks.

Warren
a b } Memory
a c 160 V Motherboard
June 26, 2011 5:38:35 AM

I would go with the G-Skill Sniper memory. It's 1.5V which is what Intel 68 boards default to. At least you probably won't have to adjust the memory voltages. And the timing, 9-9-9-24 should be easy enough to set up if your board doesn't automatically set it for you.
June 26, 2011 8:31:36 PM

Thanks for the help.
!