Dual channel ddr3

zedekc

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2011
I have a Samsung ddr3 2gb 1333mhz memory stick in slot 3 of my mobo, with 2 ripjaws at 1600mhz@ 2gb each for 6gb total. The model of the samsung is not sold anymore I can find.

In order to get the best performance for dual channel memory do I need the same model of memory stick to go into slot 4 or do I just need another ddr3 2gb 1333mhz stick?

I am not worried about it 'working' which I know it will, I am just concerned if I would receive the same speed benefit of dual channel memory as having 2 identical modules.

zedekc

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2011

Ok so my question would be does it have to be the 'Exact' same model number, or would it work just as fast as having another mem stick with teh same specs (1333mhz ddr3 2gb)

I already have the ripjaws in slot 1 and slot 2, and the samsnung is already in slot 3 and the 6gb of memory works just fine, I was just wondering which one was going to be faster (1. finding the exact same samsung stick for slot 4,

or (2. finding a generic mem module with identicle specs, so basically seeing if it would make a difference to do (2. or if I have to find that exact model stick for maximum benifit of having dual channel memory.

zedekc

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2011

awesome so I don't have to scour the ends of the earth to find that exact same model # as long as the specs are the same I receive all the same benefits as using a regular dual channel 'kit'. sounds good.