What is the best Hard Drive out there?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bestkid

Honorable
Nov 19, 2012
I'm looking for the best Hard drive out there that is like 1-2TB or more. I want like 2 of these. Also, I want them to be reliable, so they won't break after like 3 years.

Solution
RAID1 actually reads faster than a single drive. Writes can be a little slower, but the WD Blacks are relatively fast drives. I haven't noticed any problems, although I'm not running database crunch jobs or other tasks that do a lot of continuous disk I/O.

Well with the current crop of SATA drives failing at about 30% you better hope you get good ones or they fail within 6 months.

The last 5-6 drives I bought were WD Black drives. While many others have cut back, these drives retained a five-year warranty. If the others no longer trust theirs to last, I'll be damned if I will. If WD trusts them to last, then I probably can too. To be fair, I got one DOA; hey it happens. All the others (and the DOA replacement) have been running just fine. I am running most of them in RAID1 pairs for extra data safety.

Bestkid

Honorable
Nov 19, 2012

?I was thinking about buying x2 2TB WD Black? Is that good? Maybe make them in RAID 1 Config?

Bestkid

Honorable
Nov 19, 2012
If I do RAID 1, will the data transfer slow down since I'm copying to two hard drives? Or as your saying that Western Digital is keen on their warranties and not go for RAID 1?

RAID1 actually reads faster than a single drive. Writes can be a little slower, but the WD Blacks are relatively fast drives. I haven't noticed any problems, although I'm not running database crunch jobs or other tasks that do a lot of continuous disk I/O.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.