Sign in with
Your question
Solved

System is shuting down

Last response: in Systems
August 18, 2010 1:32:46 AM

hi all
rite i have a new build that i have just completed it has been working fine for a week or so until today! for some reason it just shut down and i had to power it back on.
what could be the cause of this my set up is :

cpu: intel core 2 quad Q6600
memory: g.skill ripjaws ddr3 1333mhz
mainboard: zotac 9300-K-E
graphics: galaxy 9600 gt low profile / low power
power supply: 300 watts

now i have been tould today that it could be the 12v rails on the power supply aint enough could this be the reason as the +12v rail is
9A here is the link to my power supply http://www.directron.com/mfx9300.html

also here are my temps

cpu idle: 50c
chipset: 45c

any suggestions would go a long way thanks for taking your time and reading

More about : system shuting

a b ) Power supply
August 18, 2010 1:51:10 AM

That's a very strange PSU to end up in a home PC. It's designed for servers, and older ones at that. It may be decent, I can't say, but it's certainly not right for your PC at all. Your newer PC needs mostly 12V power. Easily 10 amps, likely more under stress.

It probably got a little warm, less efficient, and that was enough to trip the protection on it.

However, 50c at idle is a very poor CPU temp.
Different programs use different baselines to measure temps. So let's be sure we are on the same page.

What does this program:
http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

Report as the minimum and maximum temps for all 4 of your cores? Go ahead and work the CPU a little bit (with HWMonitor running) so we can see what max temps are.
m
l
August 18, 2010 2:07:05 AM

hi there proximon and thanks for your quick reply

i know its a strange psu but that was the only one that would fit into my hp pavilion case as i wanted somthing small and difrent :) 

rite lets get to the point i have been runing hw monitor for the last 3 hours and the core readings are:

min to max

core #0 38-44c
core #1 40-45c
core #2 36-44c
core #3 37-45c

and i have a after market 1u full copper heat sink with a dealta fan running at 4200 rpm

what has been tickling my mind is maybe upgrade the psu fan? think that mite do the trick if i do get a new 40mm fan for the psu i will up grade the cpu fan the same time

thanks again
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
August 18, 2010 2:38:12 AM

OK those temps are happier, and given the smallish cooler they make sense.

You really need a few more 12V amps there. Capacitor aging will ensure that PSU does not survive long.

This one would probably fit, can't say for certain.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

August 18, 2010 11:03:14 AM

thanks for all your help feel more happy now :) 

will invest in a new psu very soon!!!

it looks all good to fit trough be tould, thank you for hunting down a good psu for me :D 
m
l
August 25, 2010 12:50:24 AM

Best answer selected by willzthom.
m
l
!