Sign in with
Your question

Upgrade to Q8200

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
Anonymous
November 1, 2010 10:28:47 PM

I've got a Q8200 headed my way in the post :D 

I know it will be an upgrade, but what kind of improvements can I expect from it over my current CPU? As in, how much faster do you think it will be in opening programs etc.? What kind of difference will I see in games? I know it's a slower clock speed, but I will definitely try and get it to the very least at 2.66GHz like my current CPU. I know that this chip has been running at 3.0GHz, but I'm not sure if I could achieve that on my motherboard with my RAM.

Also, will the lack of Intel Virtualization Technology make a difference when running virtual machines compared to my current system?

More about : upgrade q8200

a c 105 à CPUs
November 1, 2010 10:52:02 PM

depends on your programs but unless they are video encoding ones, I would say don't expect a whole lot of change.

as far as gaming goes, Far Cry2, GTA IV, BFBC2, a few others may see some minor improvement. For the most part you won't see any real world difference especially with a nvidia 8800GT @ 1050p resolution.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/89?vs=60
Anonymous
November 1, 2010 11:00:42 PM

ct1615 said:
depends on your programs but unless they are video encoding ones, I would say don't expect a whole lot of change.

as far as gaming goes, Far Cry2, GTA IV, BFBC2, a few others may see some minor improvement. For the most part you won't see any real world difference especially with a nvidia 8800GT @ 1050p resolution.

http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/89?vs=60

Won't I see a difference waiting for programs to load and so on?

And yeah, hopefully GTA IV will actually be playable :p 
Related resources
a c 105 à CPUs
November 2, 2010 12:39:47 AM

Anonymous said:
Won't I see a difference waiting for programs to load and so on?

depends on the program? which one(s)?
Anonymous
November 2, 2010 5:34:46 PM

Just programs in general. Some take a while to load, such as Adobe CS5 and iTunes (probably poor coding).
a c 105 à CPUs
November 2, 2010 5:47:08 PM

if you look at the benchmarks, adobe would see a difference but itunes is pretty easy to run.
Anonymous
November 2, 2010 5:55:58 PM

It's just startup with iTunes really, and it doesn't really take that long, I'm just being a bit picky :p 
Anonymous
November 3, 2010 9:58:05 PM

What about running VMware?
!