Should I buy an IBM laptop?

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
December 6, 2004 3:05:07 PM

So with the news that IBM is selling their PC business is this the time
to buy an IBM laptop, since this may be our last chance? Or should I
look at other brands since who knows what support, if any, there will
be in a years time?

More about : buy ibm laptop

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 6, 2004 6:48:49 PM

IBM is still the best choice, I think. First of all, their computers
are already made by Chinese manufacturers, so there is really no change
there. Secondly, even if the tech support quality decreases slightly
because of the support move to China, anything is better than Dell tech
support.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 6, 2004 8:08:40 PM

<maliat@gmail.com> wrote in message
> So with the news that IBM is selling their PC business is this the time
> to buy an IBM laptop, since this may be our last chance? Or should I
> look at other brands since who knows what support, if any, there will
> be in a years time?

If you do not need support, i.e., you are technically experienced and know
how to use books and the resources in knowledge bases, and the newsgroups
and discussions, the software support is too important once a system is
first running, i.e., during the first month or so.

Hardware support, especially for a notebook, is important. You don't want to
do tumblesaults to get hardware replaced/repaired. This is where IBM was
reputed to be very strong. Contractually, whomsoever buys IBM's product line
will be required to honor the warranty, but HOW they do this, that's up in
the air.

If one thinks the IBM hardware is superior and does not need software
support, then, at least in the short run, IBM might still be a good choice.
IMHO, software support would decline before hardware support, but that's
just a guess.
a b D Laptop
December 7, 2004 2:04:12 PM

maliat@gmail.com wrote:
> So with the news that IBM is selling their PC business is this the
time
> to buy an IBM laptop, since this may be our last chance? Or should I
> look at other brands since who knows what support, if any, there will
> be in a years time?

Trust me, you do NOT want to buy an IBM. If you want a good laptop,
get a Toshiba Tecra. I'm still using my old Toshiba Tecra 530CDT from
1997 that's been running Linux 24/7 without a problem, except the
battery died. You can always sign up here
http://www.pctech4free.com/default.aspx?ref=5296 for a free laptop, but
if you want to purchase one, get a Toshiba.

_________________
Beeeeeyotch!

Get a free 2.8GHz laptop
http://www.pctech4free.com/default.aspx?ref=5296
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 7, 2004 2:04:29 PM

maliat@gmail.com wrote:
> So with the news that IBM is selling their PC business is this the
time
> to buy an IBM laptop, since this may be our last chance? Or should I
> look at other brands since who knows what support, if any, there will
> be in a years time?

Trust me, you do NOT want to buy an IBM. If you want a good laptop,
get a Toshiba Tecra. I'm still using my old Toshiba Tecra 530CDT from
1997 that's been running Linux 24/7 without a problem, except the
battery died. You can always sign up here
http://www.pctech4free.com/default.aspx?ref=5296 for a free laptop, but
if you want to purchase one, get a Toshiba.

_________________
Beeeeeyotch!

Get a free 2.8GHz laptop
http://www.pctech4free.com/default.aspx?ref=5296
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 7, 2004 2:20:00 PM

maliat@gmail.com wrote:
> So with the news that IBM is selling their PC business is this the
time
> to buy an IBM laptop, since this may be our last chance? Or should I
> look at other brands since who knows what support, if any, there will
> be in a years time?

Trust me, you do NOT want to buy an IBM. If you want a good laptop,
get a Toshiba Tecra. I'm still using my old Toshiba Tecra 530CDT from
1997 that's been running Linux 24/7 without a problem, except the
battery died. You can always sign up here
http://www.pctech4free.com/default.aspx?ref=5296 for a free laptop, but
if you want to purchase one, get a Toshiba.

_________________
Beeeeeyotch!

Get a free 2.8GHz laptop
http://www.pctech4free.com/default.aspx?ref=5296
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 7, 2004 2:51:08 PM

SinghaLvr <singhalvr@charter.net> writes:
> Well, there is the 12" Powerbook which is far more portable than most PC
> laptops on the market today at the same price point.
>
> Ultra? No ... but better in size/weight than most.

I suppose it's smallish. I thought about buying one but got a
much smaller Thinkpad X40 instead.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 7, 2004 4:53:50 PM

jmagaro@gmail.com wrote:
<snip>
>anything is better
> than Dell tech support.

Surley not Gateway. I sent mine in for repair twice, both times it had to go
back, as they didnt reasemble the laptop properly. I am in the process of
selling it, and shopping for a new notebook. I was going to buy an IBM, till
the sell... Now I am not sure what to purchase.

Dan
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 7, 2004 11:09:27 PM

in addition i'm not sure it's clear IBM is selling the portable business.
the report i read tonight says "Lenovo is taking over IBM's desktop PC
business, including research and development and manufacturing, Liu told
reporters."

i don't if that means Lenovo is NOT taking the portable biz, or what?

<jmagaro@gmail.com> wrote in message

> IBM is still the best choice, I think. First of all, their computers
> are already made by Chinese manufacturers, so there is really no change
> there. Secondly, even if the tech support quality decreases slightly
> because of the support move to China, anything is better than Dell tech
> support.

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 7, 2004 11:11:19 PM

skarecrow@gmail.com wrote:

> maliat@gmail.com wrote:
>> So with the news that IBM is selling their PC business is this the
> time
>> to buy an IBM laptop, since this may be our last chance? Or should I
>> look at other brands since who knows what support, if any, there will
>> be in a years time?
>
> Trust me, you do NOT want to buy an IBM. If you want a good laptop,
> get a Toshiba Tecra. I'm still using my old Toshiba Tecra 530CDT from
> 1997 that's been running Linux 24/7 without a problem, except the
> battery died. You can always sign up here
> http://www.pctech4free.com/default.aspx?ref=5296 for a free laptop, but
> if you want to purchase one, get a Toshiba.

And so's my old Thinkpad. If you want to claim that Toshiba is in some way
"better" than IBM be my guest. But "Trust me, you do NOT want to buy an
IBM" without any further support seems mere brainless advocacy.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

skarecrow@gmail.com wrote:

> maliat@gmail.com wrote:
>> So with the news that IBM is selling their PC business is this the
> time
>> to buy an IBM laptop, since this may be our last chance? Or should I
>> look at other brands since who knows what support, if any, there will
>> be in a years time?
>
> Trust me, you do NOT want to buy an IBM. If you want a good laptop,
> get a Toshiba Tecra. I'm still using my old Toshiba Tecra 530CDT from
> 1997 that's been running Linux 24/7 without a problem, except the
> battery died. You can always sign up here
> http://www.pctech4free.com/default.aspx?ref=5296 for a free laptop, but
> if you want to purchase one, get a Toshiba.

Uh, skarecrow, you're coming dangerously close to the SPAM threshold. You
might want to fix your record player.

> _________________
> Beeeeeyotch!
>
> Get a free 2.8GHz laptop
> http://www.pctech4free.com/default.aspx?ref=5296

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 8, 2004 3:14:48 AM

OMG
A guy using a SEVEN YEAR OLD LAPTOP is giving recommendations on what to
buy! Jeepers, he is a real expert!
<skarecrow@gmail.com> wrote in message
> maliat@gmail.com wrote:
> > So with the news that IBM is selling their PC business is this the
> time
> > to buy an IBM laptop, since this may be our last chance? Or should I
> > look at other brands since who knows what support, if any, there will
> > be in a years time?
>
> Trust me, you do NOT want to buy an IBM. If you want a good laptop,
> get a Toshiba Tecra. I'm still using my old Toshiba Tecra 530CDT from
> 1997 that's been running Linux 24/7 without a problem, except the
> battery died. You can always sign up here
> http://www.pctech4free.com/default.aspx?ref=5296 for a free laptop, but
> if you want to purchase one, get a Toshiba.
>
> _________________
> Beeeeeyotch!
>
> Get a free 2.8GHz laptop
> http://www.pctech4free.com/default.aspx?ref=5296

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 8, 2004 5:02:25 AM

"Angry American" <angryamerican@nospamdooleyism.com> wrote in message
> jmagaro@gmail.com wrote:
> <snip>
> >anything is better
> > than Dell tech support.
>
> Surley not Gateway. I sent mine in for repair twice, both times it had to
go
> back, as they didnt reasemble the laptop properly. I am in the process of
> selling it, and shopping for a new notebook. I was going to buy an IBM,
till
> the sell... Now I am not sure what to purchase.

Fujitsu or Panasonic.

dk
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 8, 2004 9:15:40 AM

"Paul Rubin" <http://phr.cx@NOSPAM.invalid&gt; wrote in message
> SinghaLvr <singhalvr@charter.net> writes:
> > Well, there is the 12" Powerbook which is far more portable than most PC
> > laptops on the market today at the same price point.
> >
> > Ultra? No ... but better in size/weight than most.
>
> I suppose it's smallish. I thought about buying one but got a
> much smaller Thinkpad X40 instead.

It's not smaller, they both sport a 12" LCD, it's lighter but that's at the
expense of an optical drive.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 8, 2004 9:15:41 AM

"Lucar" <lucar@gazeta.pl> writes:
> > I suppose it's smallish. I thought about buying one but got a
> > much smaller Thinkpad X40 instead.
>
> It's not smaller, they both sport a 12" LCD, it's lighter but that's at the
> expense of an optical drive.

From ibm.com, the X40 is 0.94"*8.3"*10.5" = 81.9 in**3.

From apple.com, the 12.1" Powerbook is 1.18"*8.6"*10.9" = 110.6 in**3,
or about 35% larger than the x40.

The 12.1" iBook is 1.35"*11.2"*9.06" = 137.0 in**3, or 67% larger than
the x40.

The Powerbook is actually smaller than I'd realized. I've looked at
it but probably have clearer memories of the iBook. But the
difference from the x40 vs. either Apple model is quite noticible.

The X40 isn't anywhere near the smallest x86 notebook; it's just the
smallest with a full-sized keyboard. It's a little larger than my old
240 which had a perfectly useable reduced keyboard (95% or so). There
are quite a few subnotes now in the 2 pound range with smaller
keyboards, including some stunning-looking Sony's, which I however
didn't consider because of software compatibility issues. They have
one that's smaller than the X40, weighs about the same, has more
screen resolution, and includes a DVD burner.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 8, 2004 2:27:32 PM

> From ibm.com, the X40 is 0.94"*8.3"*10.5" = 81.9 in**3.
>
> From apple.com, the 12.1" Powerbook is 1.18"*8.6"*10.9" = 110.6 in**3,
> or about 35% larger than the x40.
>
> The 12.1" iBook is 1.35"*11.2"*9.06" = 137.0 in**3, or 67% larger than
> the x40.

That's funny, I thought it's the screen that mainly determines the form
factor. So how can the iBook be more than 50% larger than the X40 with the
same panel size is beyond me.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 8, 2004 2:27:33 PM

"Lucar" <lucar@gazeta.pl> writes:
> > The 12.1" iBook is 1.35"*11.2"*9.06" = 137.0 in**3, or 67% larger than
> > the x40.
> >
> That's funny, I thought it's the screen that mainly determines the form
> factor. So how can the iBook be more than 50% larger than the X40 with the
> same panel size is beyond me.

It's 67% larger in volume, partly due to having more space around the
display, partly due to being thicker. The X40's slimness is really
nice, I drop it in my belt pack and I hardly know it's there. My old
Hitachi Traveler a/k/a Thinkpad 235 was considerably narrower/shorter
(8" screen or so) but somewhat thicker, and in some ways it was more
cumbersome to carry.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 8, 2004 5:36:34 PM

>> i'm not sure it's clear IBM is selling the portable business.

Bart:

From
http://news.com.com/IBM+sells+PC+group+to+Lenovo+-+page...

"In China, IBM manufactures ThinkPad notebook models in a joint venture with
Lenovo arch-rival Great Wall Technology. Lenovo will gain the ThinkPad
factory in Shenzhen, known as the International Information Products Co.,
but it said IBM server manufacturing located there was not included in the
deal. "
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 8, 2004 8:04:27 PM

Mr. Bart wrote:
> in addition i'm not sure it's clear IBM is selling the portable
> business. the report i read tonight says "Lenovo is taking over IBM's
> desktop PC business, including research and development and
> manufacturing, Liu told reporters."
>
> i don't if that means Lenovo is NOT taking the portable biz, or what?

They are, but the news story at Yahoo says they're also hiring 10,000
IBM employees in the process -- including the Thinkpad R&D dept. So I
wouldn't write off the Thinkpad's future. They've already been made in
China for quite some time anyway. The big question is how Lenovo will
handle support.

This actually could end up being very good news. The changeover period
is likely to be a bit shaky, but I for one will be *very* interested to
see what kind of Thinkpads will be rolling out of Lenovo in 2006,
hopefully giving Dell a run for their money while keeping the Thinkpad
quality.

Lenovo didn't get where they are now by being stupid. They know what
they're buying and why they're buying it.

We'll have to watch and see. They might even end up out-Thinkpadding
the Thinkpad.

--
da
~~

> It's 67% larger in volume, partly due to having more space around the
> display, partly due to being thicker. The X40's slimness is really
> nice, I drop it in my belt pack and I hardly know it's there. My old
> Hitachi Traveler a/k/a Thinkpad 235 was considerably narrower/shorter
> (8" screen or so) but somewhat thicker, and in some ways it was more
> cumbersome to carry.

Well it's slimmer because it has no optical drive. So it's up to you what
you prefer.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 8, 2004 9:13:57 PM

"Lucar" <lucar@gazeta.pl> writes:
> > It's 67% larger in volume, partly due to having more space around the
> > display, partly due to being thicker. The X40's slimness is really
> > nice, I drop it in my belt pack and I hardly know it's there. My old
> > Hitachi Traveler a/k/a Thinkpad 235 was considerably narrower/shorter
> > (8" screen or so) but somewhat thicker, and in some ways it was more
> > cumbersome to carry.
>
> Well it's slimmer because it has no optical drive. So it's up to you what
> you prefer.

Well yes, the idea of an ultraportable is to remove features for the
sake of a smaller machine.

The X40 take the X4 Ultrabase which can hold an optical drive. The
resulting combination is about the same weight as the Powerbook,
though it may be a little thicker. The Ultrabase drive bay can
alternatively hold a second hard drive or a second battery.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 8, 2004 9:21:42 PM

"CZ" <CZ@no99spam.com> wrote in message

> From

http://news.com.com/IBM+sells+PC+group+to+Lenovo+-+page...
4-2.html?tag=st.next

> "In China, IBM manufactures ThinkPad notebook models in a joint venture
with
> Lenovo arch-rival Great Wall Technology. Lenovo will gain the ThinkPad
> factory in Shenzhen, known as the International Information Products Co.,
> but it said IBM server manufacturing located there was not included in the
> deal. "

So long ThinkPad.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 9, 2004 1:18:52 AM

> We'll have to watch and see. They might even end up out-Thinkpadding
> the Thinkpad.

I hope so, it would be a shame to see the thinkpad and, more importantly,
thinkpad design and quality leaving this little place called earth! Why is
it that everything I seem to buy and really enjoy seem to stop being made?
There was the Amiga, and then my beloved Psion, and now, maybe, my Thinkpad!
Arghh!

I like your thinking (pun originally unintended, but left), anyway.

Duncan.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 9, 2004 2:44:39 PM

"Donkey Agony" <root@[127.0.0.1]> wrote in message

> Lenovo didn't get where they are now by being stupid. They know what
> they're buying and why they're buying it.

Incidentally, that's a pretty strange name for a Chinese company. If
anything, it sounds Russian to me :-)
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 13, 2004 1:16:43 AM

On Mon, 13 Dec 2004, SinghaLvr wrote:

> On Tue, 7 Dec 2004 14:04:12 -0500, skarecrow@gmail.com wrote
> (in article <1102446252.260613.222750@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>):
>
> > Trust me, you do NOT want to buy an IBM. If you want a good laptop,
> > get a Toshiba Tecra. I'm still using my old Toshiba Tecra 530CDT from
> > 1997 that's been running Linux 24/7 without a problem, except the
> > battery died. You can always sign up here
> > http://www.pctech4free.com/default.aspx?ref=5296 for a free laptop, but
> > if you want to purchase one, get a Toshiba.
>
> What is the modern replacement for the Tecra 9100? (Love that machine and
> it's form-factor, but wouldn't mind a newer version with a more modern
> videocard)

Yeah, my old Tosh Sat pro 420CDT still going strong too. I agree
TOSH puts out the best darned laptops on the market
Kokomo Joe
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 13, 2004 3:35:18 AM

Joseph Fenn <jfenn@lava.net> writes:
> Yeah, my old Tosh Sat pro 420CDT still going strong too. I agree
> TOSH puts out the best darned laptops on the market

1990's Toshiba hardware was pretty solid. The newer stuff looks less so.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
December 13, 2004 5:12:31 AM

!